• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Major crash...heavy metals?

So, I'm doing a methylation protocol based on Freddd's protocol, and about a week and a half into starting to increase my methylcobalamin. I've been having a relatively easy go of it, except for one nasty day of headache/brain fog about 3 days after I started. My energy levels have been increasing and it's been good - I keep feeling like I'm gonna break through that barrier of low energy some day soon. Today though, energy is in the toilet and I am just totally exhausted and brain foggy, and having some cognitive issues (I snapped my sideview mirror off my car pulling into the garage for the 2nd time in the last few months - don't even ask me how I managed to do that).

Anyhow, I recently had a breakthrough realization that my CFS symptoms really started a month or so after getting my one mercury filling removed with zero precautions, back in 2008. They removed it and crowned my tooth, with so much drilling, and I had no idea at the time what that could do. I was actually thinking about how lucky I was not to have had any symptoms from that compared to other people I know in my GAPS group, when my brain made the connection that it happened just before my "depression" started where I was sleeping all the time and exhausted constantly, which I've never pulled out of. So ok then, maybe I do have a heavy metal issue, mental note made.

So I was reading that starting a methylation protocol can really stir up heavy metals and provoke the symptoms I'm having right now, so I went and chewed up an handful of cilantro and felt quite a bit better, though now it's creeping back in. So if I'm dealing with heavy metals, and I don't want to overwhelm my body, what's the best way to proceed? Cut back on the methyl b-12? Supplements that will help mobilize the metals?

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
@AmerHeH

I have these ups and downs - brain fogs and crashes "for no reason" -- and it's really hard to say what causes them. This is a very complex process!

For me taking minerals (especially zinc) seems to bring metals out very fast - creating confusion, irritability, acheyness. I was taking 30mg of zinc and had to cut down to 15, due to cognitive issues.

Taking methylation supplements may bring out metals, also, I think.

starting up methylation caused me need a lot more MAGNESIUM, it seemed like.

Wishing you the best luck in figure out what's causing your issues!

helen1

@AmerHeH Selenium is apparently very good at binding with mercury and preventing it from causing you harm. On the other hand, cilantro binds weakly to mercury, often releasing it back into circulation before it has a chance to be excreted. Cilantro should not be used alone for mercury chelation from what I've read.
If you want to get really serious about mercury chelation, a lot of people follow Cutler's methods; you might want to look into that. I definitely wouldn't try to chelate mercury without seriously studying the matter as it's too dangerous to fool around with.

picante

my CFS symptoms really started a month or so after getting my one mercury filling removed with zero precautions, back in 2008. They removed it and crowned my tooth, with so much drilling, and I had no idea at the time what that could do.

Does the new crown have any gold? Does it have a gold seat?

"There are a few things that appear to be extremely important about dental materials and electrical current. The first is that gold and amalgam should not be in the mouth at the same time. If they are, the amount of electrical current increases tremendously, and can lead to severe problems in susceptible people."
Dr. Hal Huggins, It's All in Your Head.

There's more on this, and I'll bet you can find it by searching online. As I recall, the greater the current, the more mercury ions are released. I think the ions travel through the blood-brain barrier. People can become suicidal. It's not something to mess around with.

Edited: Here we go, Sushi provided me with a link!
https://books.google.com/books?id=m...tal materials and electrical current.&f=false

Last edited:
Hi,

I was going to create an similair topic but found this one. In 2010 or 2009 my dentist removed 16 (big) mercury fillings withaut any precaution. And so the hell started for me. I did some Cutler rounds with DMSA + ALA and took some DMPS Capsules. But I guess that was not enough. It made things even worse.

3-4 years ago something happened. I dont know exactly what (we drank a lot of alcohol with a friend on a 3 month vacation. I guess the liver got hurt). But since than, I lost 11KG, can´t eat histamine containing food, became depressive and many more things...

To make it short, I started with Freddds methylation protocoll almost 3 weeks ago. The first week was pretty good. Only the Metafolin was making me very tired. But then, last week, some stuff happened and I felt damn poisoned. In panic I took 100mg DMPS. Since then I am not able to get back to normal. My Brain Fog is crazy, I have huge histamine problems, my liver seems to be overwhelmed. I have low energy and am crazy (suicide levels) depressive.

I still take B12 (1mg sublingual) and Metafolin (400mcg) daily because I read on Erics blog to push through the symptoms. But I wonder if I do some things wrong and put harm to myself? Should I stop?

By the way, I dont take any potassium yet. I still need to buy some. But I also don´t feel any muscle symptoms like I read about it.

About my writing, sorry, my english is not the best and with my brain fog its even harder to write.

picante

To make it short, I started with Freddds methylation protocoll almost 3 weeks ago. The first week was pretty good. Only the Metafolin was making me very tired. But then, last week, some stuff happened and I felt damn poisoned. In panic I took 100mg DMPS. Since then I am not able to get back to normal. My Brain Fog is crazy, I have huge histamine problems, my liver seems to be overwhelmed. I have low energy and am crazy (suicide levels) depressive.

I still take B12 (1mg sublingual) and Metafolin (400mcg) daily because I read on Erics blog to push through the symptoms. But I wonder if I do some things wrong and put harm to myself? Should I stop?

Hi John, be very cautious with any methylation protocol. It sounds like you may not have all the co-factors yet, and it's practically inevitable that MethylB12 and Metafolin will trigger some deficiencies. For me, it has been a slow process learning which symptoms go with which deficiencies.

If you are horribly depressed, I encourage you to reduce or stop your doses, simply to find out how much of your mental state is due to the methylation supplements.

Do you have any niacin? Can you buy some? If you take two or three doses of niacin (the regular kind, not no-flush) and it vastly improves your depression, that would be a clue that you can't tolerate as many methyl groups as you've been taking.

This was my husband's experience. We found out that he has the COMT and MAO A gene mutations -- so he doesn't break down dopamine or serotonin very quickly. That meant a) the feedback loop kicked in and lowered his production of dopamine and serotonin and b) methyl groups that normally get used up to break down these neurotransmitters were not being used up.

I hope someone else comments here; I'm no expert on neurotransmitters.

However, I have taken DMPS (orally), and it was the worst drug reaction I've ever had. Yes, it's supposed to capture mercury, but in order to transport it out of the body, detoxification systems (methylation!) need to be working. I won't touch it in any form.

picante

Hi Picante,

thank you for your reply. Besides the MF and Methyl B12, I´ll take the LEF Mix (Contains Folate but I take the Metafolin about 8 hrs. after the LEF Tablet). Also I take Q10, Adb12, Potassium (not enough actually) and some other natural stuff like wheat grass.

My depression has gone now. I get these (for about 2-3 years alread) every 2-4 week and it stays about a week. But my Brain Fog and forgetfulness pretty high. Not sure if I methylate some mercury with this Protocoll or not? Maybe I did not detox enough mercury?