• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

how to overcome sensitivity to humidity?

ebethc

it's been humid where I live for a long time, and it's really starting to get to me... Sluggish / fatigued, swollen sinuses, (worse) brain fog, (worse) joint pain, and bloating.

I tested negative for mold allergy, but allergy testing is not reliable. Has anyone been able to overcome sensitivity to humidity (...mold spores)?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Has anyone been able to overcome sensitivity to humidity (...mold spores)?
When I lived in a very humid climate I used the type of dehumidifier that can take the humidity down to 30 - 40%. Only the more expensive ones have the technology to do this. Mold won't grow at low humidity. I certainly never adjusted to high humidity though I lived in it for years. I just had to lower it.

Sushi

barbc56

I've always hated the humidity and have lived most of my life in humid locations. It gets so bad, it's almost impossible for me to be outside even if it's just sitting in a chair.

I'm also very sensitive to heat even with low humidity. Think Arizonia. I usually keep my thermostat around 64,, both winter and summer. I have learned to remind myself to adjust the thermostat when having company.:rolleyes:

When I visit my daughter in LA, I feel much better and can be relatively more active. Of course, seeing her helps.

If only I could move there.

Barb

SOC

I have never been able to adjust to high humidity. All I can do is stay indoors with AC most of year. :( I want very badly to move somewhere the humidity is low, but it's not an option for me at this point in time. I manage the heat okay as long as it's not humid, so parts of the southwest US are looking very appealing to me. Maybe someday....

Misfit Toy

Summers where I live are very hard because they're also very humid and I can't stand it. I felt so much better in California. I'm not sure if it's the mold, or what but it just really makes me unwell. And the winter here is also brutal so you can't win! I actually do well in high heat as long as there's no humidity. I loved living in California and wish I could return.

barbc56

@Misfit Toy

I lived in Los Angeles when I was eight to ten years old and I still miss it.

If I had the resources to afford it, I wouldn't hesitate to move there but probably to the San Diego area. My younger daughter lives in LA but unfortunately, right now it's too hard for me to fly so she comes to visit me. But it's harder for her to do that with two children under five.

I understand the smog is better in LA than when I lived there. Chicago has replaced LA as far as the worst city to drive. I lived in Chicago for about 15 years after my younger daughter graduated from High School and while the traffic was frustrating I didn't have a problem with it. I moved back to my hometown two hours south of Chicago when I got sick as the cost of living is cheaper.

Remember the thread about the group home? California would be a great place to do that. I wonder if there are more affordable places to live in California further inland?

My, I didn't mean to write this much.

Barb

ebethc

I'm at the end of my rope... it seems like it's always something... the midwest & east coast were difficult, and now I live in the Bay Area - nice, temperate climate but WAY too damp... The pollution is not terrible, but it's too much for me here and in any city... I felt GREAT in Durango CO .. amazing, really... BUT I was there in the summer, and what the heck do you do for work in a small town / smaller city like that? I'm at the end of my rope

barbc56

@ebethc

The Denver area in Colorado sounds good. I don't know how the altitude might affect us. It didn’t when I was there but that was before getting sick. I also don't know about the cost of living.

The biggest surprise for visitors to Denver is the climate. The arid conditions bring only 8 to 15 inches of annual precipitation and locals wake up to more than 300 days of sunshine a year. That’s more annual hours of sun than Miami and San Diego

Winters are mild with an average daily high temperature of 45 degrees Fahrenheit and days reaching 60 degrees are not uncommon. Snow doesn't stay on the ground long in Denver so golf courses and outdoor cafes are able to stay open all year.

In summer, Denver enjoys low relative humidity, making for beautiful, sun-filled days and cool, comfortable evenings. The average daily high temperature in August is a mild 86 degrees Fahrenheit. The mild weather is due in part to the city's altitude: 5,280 feet above sea level, or exactly a mile high

http://www.denver.org/about-denver/facts-info/weather/

Barb

ETA
Oops, I read Durango as Denver.

ebethc

@ebethc

The Denver area in Colorado sounds good. I don't know how the altitude might affect us. It didn’t when I was there but that was before getting sick. I also don't know about the cost of living.
thanks... Oddly, I feel great at high altitudes, which I'm guessing may be due to some blood pressure change?? I wish I understood better what happens physiologically at high altitudes...

I've never been to Denver... I've heard that it has high pollution... something about the pollution getting stuck in the mountains surrounding Denver??

wish I could afford to travel more! it's hard to find the place I should be living w/o money

SOC

thanks... Oddly, I feel great at high altitudes, which I'm guessing may be due to some blood pressure change?? I wish I understood better what happens physiologically at high altitudes...

I've never been to Denver... I've heard that it has high pollution... something about the pollution getting stuck in the mountains surrounding Denver??

wish I could afford to travel more! it's hard to find the place I should be living w/o money
I always feel much better in Colorado Springs (except at one period in my illness when I got altitude sickness when I was there). It's dry, sunny, and at higher altitude than Denver without the pollution Denver has.

Yes, the pollution in Denver has something to do with the air currents created by mountains, but I don't remember the details anymore. Unlike Denver, Colorado Springs is right up against the mountains. I'm told this allows the air currents to sweep away the pollution rather than swirl it up in a pool like it does in Denver. It's been a long time since I was told about this, though, so I could be making a mess of the climatology information. :oops: Still, it's clear if you go there that CS has much less air pollution than Denver -- just don't hang around the I-25 corridor.

I've living in Japan since I was born.in the summer,extremely high temperature and humidity(at worst 38°C/100%).that is very hard for me...I always get worse in hot/humid place.even moisture in my breathing air(so I can't use medical masks,that is popular in japanese people as preventing infections or fashion items)

I use air-conditioner and dehumidifier machine whole summer.24/7 NON STOP while 3 months or longer.however,my thermometer shows "humidity 80%" make me angry.
initially I thought it might breakdown but I checked that a lot of water(about 1 liter per 3 hours)gathering in the container normally.incredible humidity you think so?

last summer I went to Miyagi prefecture(northern Japan) 3 days.it was lovely place! lower temperature,less humidity,beautiful nature,and comfortable.I feel better so much.if I were born there...(now I'm in Tokyo)

ME patients should not live in Japan!(except Tohoku region) it's humidity hell!
(but in the winter,changes to dry/cold hell.now,my thermometer shows"40%" make my throat hurts)
I wonder what how can patients survive they live in Tropical countries...?

ebethc

I've living in Japan since I was born.in the summer,extremely high temperature and humidity(at worst 38°C/100%).that is very hard for me...I always get worse in hot/humid place.even moisture in my breathing air(so I can't use medical masks,that is popular in japanese people as preventing infections or fashion items)

I use air-conditioner and dehumidifier machine whole summer.24/7 NON STOP while 3 months or longer.however,my thermometer shows "humidity 80%" make me angry.
initially I thought it might breakdown but I checked that a lot of water(about 1 liter per 3 hours)gathering in the container normally.incredible humidity you think so?

last summer I went to Miyagi prefecture(northern Japan) 3 days.it was lovely place! lower temperature,less humidity,beautiful nature,and comfortable.I feel better so much.if I were born there...(now I'm in Tokyo)

ME patients should not live in Japan!(except Tohoku region) it's humidity hell!
(but in the winter,changes to dry/cold hell.now,my thermometer shows"40%" make my throat hurts)
I wonder what how can patients survive they live in Tropical countries...?

I feel best at dry, high altitudes w no pollution... but good luck getting medical care in a place like that! Colorado in the U.S. was the place I felt best, BUT w all the fracking, I don't know how the methane would be for me....

Does methane bother ppl w CFS? I'm guessing "yes"