• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Should I add R-ALA into my methylation protocol?

veganmua

I want to take more supplements to support my mitochondria. Should I take alpha lipoic acid? Would it interfere with anything I am already taking? From my reading it seems the R form is the best option? Thinking of getting the potassium salt stabilised version instead of the sodium one because the methylation supplements increase my need for it a lot. No mercury fillings or heavy metal exposure that I know of, so what dosage should I go for?
Gene mutations in my sig.

Plus any other suggestions for supplements? What has worked for you?

Current Supplements-
Cytoplan/Nature's Own Wholefood Multi
Doctor's Best Phosphatidyl Serine 100mg
L-Carnitine Fumarate 855mg x2
L-Lysine 1000mg
Opti3 vegan omegas DHA & EPA
Lithium Orotate 2x 5mg
D-Ribose
GliSODin
Methylfolate 4000mcg
Methylcobalamin 2000mcg
Adenesylcobalamin 3000mcg
CoQ10 600mg
PQQ 20mg
Potassium 99mg
Zinc 10mg
Magnesium Malate

Current Medication-
Venlafaxine 375 daily (SNRI)
Buscopan (antispasmodic, IBS )
Aciclovir (antiviral, cold sores)
Dianette (contraceptive, PCOS)

Thanks!

Last edited:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
@veganmua

ALA can move metals and when it wears off, it can drop them. This is particularly a problem with mercury. So if you take any form of ALA, and you have a burden of toxic metals, it is suggested that you take it about 4 times a day so that it doesn't "drop" any toxic metals it is carrying. There are quite a few threads on various forms of ALA and RLA which you can find with a Google Site Search.

Sushi

veganmua

@Sushi Thanks, yes I did read that, and I have looked around the site for info. But would it be ok to take it once a day because I've had practically ZERO mercury/heavy metal exposure? And would it work synergistically/against anything I'm already taking?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
But would it be ok to take it once a day because I've had practically ZERO mercury/heavy metal exposure? And would it work synergistically/against anything I'm already taking?
As with so much, we have to read the studies, weigh the evidence and make our own decisions. The sad thing about heavy metals is that in the world today, we all get exposed whether we know it or not. Have you had your levels tested? When I did, I was pretty shocked at the things I was high in, but when I researched the places I had lived, it fell into place.

Sushi

pogoman

Plus any other suggestions for supplements? What has worked for you?

Current Supplements-
Cytoplan/Nature's Own Wholefood Multi
Doctor's Best Phosphatidyl Serine 100mg
L-Carnitine Fumarate 855mg x2
L-Lysine 1000mg
Opti3 vegan omegas DHA & EPA
Lithium Orotate 2x 5mg
D-Ribose
GliSODin
Methylfolate 4000mcg
Methylcobalamin 2000mcg
Adenesylcobalamin 3000mcg
CoQ10 600mg
PQQ 20mg
Potassium 99mg
Zinc 10mg
Magnesium Malate

Current Medication-
Venlafaxine 375 daily (SNRI)
Buscopan (antispasmodic, IBS )
Aciclovir (antiviral, cold sores)
Dianette (contraceptive, PCOS)

Thanks!
for additional mito support-
B2 riboflavin, helps with coq10
Choline, helps with l-carnitine and both can be stacked with caffeine.

veganmua

Thanks for replying.
@Sushi I suppose I will have to be careful, and watch out for any possible symptoms of mercury redistribution/dumping. I guess I'll adjust the dosage/frequency accordingly.
@pogoman Thanks for the info, my multivitamin already contains 536% RDA riboflavin, and I take Doctor's Best Phosphatidylserine, which contains phosphatidylcholine, and another phospholipid I can't remember the name of too. Would that suffice?
I take guarana pills for a caffeine boost as needed, I'll try taking it with my other supplements to see if it helps.
I know a lot of people take high dose antioxidants to support the mitochondria like vit C, vit E, polyphenols, bioflavonoids, resveratrol etc. Has anyone had any success with this type of approach? What has worked, what would you recommend?