• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr Daniel Peterson and Staci Stevens in Vancouver May 24th 2015

Kati

Patient in training
image.jpg

Dr Dan Peterson and Staci Stevens will be in Vancouver to speak on May 24th. This is a rare opportunity in Vancouver, with the hope it will be well attended by both the patient and medical community. For those of you who are thinking of coming from out of town, Vancouver is gorgeous at this time of year and our american friends will be impressed at the dollar exchange rate.

Ember

Vancouver has long been at the forefront of ME advocacy. Dr. Peterson acknowledges, “I was always impressed by the collaborative, consensus type of approach [used by] Bruce Carruthers...in the 2003 definition.” Dr. Carruthers' same approach has provided us with the ICC.

Many thanks to the MEFM Society of BC for organizing this awareness event.:thumbsup:

helen1

I'd love to meet any PR members who plan to attend. Is anyone else interested in saying hi or sitting together maybe? @Kati @Ember or anyone else?

Last edited:

concepcion

View attachment 10815

Dr Dan Peterson and Staci Stevens will be in Vancouver to speak on May 24th. This is a rare opportunity in Vancouver, with the hope it will be well attended by both the patient and medical community. For those of you who are thinking of coming from out of town, Vancouver is gorgeous at this time of year and our american friends will be impressed at the dollar exchange rate.
Thanks so much for posting this Kati!!

Research 1st

Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.
I wonder how the 'tick' research is getting on, if at all?
It would be nice to hear some news this year on that topic from Dr P.

Kati

Patient in training
I wonder how the 'tick' research is getting on, if at all?
It would be nice to hear some news this year on that topic from Dr P.

As far as I know dr Peterson is not a Lyme disease dr, but an internist who has spent his whole career on ME and its immune abnormalities.

Personally I am more interested to know how he can convince the local doctors and out socialize health care system in practicing medicine and not simply offering self-management techniques, which patients had no choice to practice all by themselves for all these years.

helen1

I'm curious too @Kati about what he'll be advising to patients and doctors. And wonder how many docs will attend.

I'm also curious about what they offer at the CCDC, which I've just started at. It sounds like you have experience that it isn't much. Is that accurate? Mostly pacing etc?

Kati

Patient in training
hi @helen1 I will send you a PM.

for people curious, I was seen in the summer 2013. Things may have changed since then, and things have changed since as Dr Bested left and others as well. It is not clear what the directions of the clinic currently are, but what I know for sure is there is a strong holistic self-management influence. There may or may not be medical treatments or testing, I am unsure about that.

Kati

Patient in training
I'd love to meet any PR members who plan to attend. Is anyone else interested in saying hi or sitting together maybe? @Kati @Ember or anyone else?

Hi Helen1 sure I will be there. i am not sure in what state I will be in. Some days better than other to chat. I have a lot of cognitive dysfunctions these days. But look out for me, I will be on my scooter. :-D

helen1

@Kati
Great! I'm sure you won't be the only one in a scooter but I'll see if I can track you down. I'll be with a friend.

L'engle

moogle
Thanks for the heads up! It takes a lot to get me off the island, so I probably won't make it. 'Events in a stuffy room with lots of info to process', also not my forte. Sounds very exciting and necessary though. I hope it will be well attended!

Kati

Patient in training
Here is what I wrote on Facebook about the conference:

Made it back from the Vancouver May ME/FM Awareness event featuring Dr Dan 'the Pope' Peterson, exercise physiologist Staci Stevens and local Dr Ian Hyams.

Dr Peterson presented on the most recent development (Iom and P2P reports, papers from Columbia U)- I will share the slides when I am well enough to be upright.

One highlight was when i met one cardiologist who has started collaborating with exercise test study and who became a convert or a believer if you will after he visited Staci Stevens and watched 2 consecutive days CPET. And he took the time to come down on a sunday afternoon and listen to the speakers. His name is Dr Pots.