• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The importance of Magnesium in post exercise

After reading The Magnesium Miracle by Carolyn Dean I decided that I indeed showed many symptoms of deficiency. I am in good company--80% of the population is deficient in this vital mineral!!

I have been using Magnesium chloride and magnesium aspartate for about 2 months and the changes I am seeing are worth shouting about. Way more energy--Mg drives the ATP that fuels your muscles and nerves. A lot calmer and deeper sleep (and I thought I slept pretty well before) no anxiety or depression and just a lot more interest in my hobbies and other life activities.

My workouts have improved and I am not beat out like I used to be after a long bike ride or weight training session. I can't in good conscience recommend dosages because everyone's absorption is different--just please don't go to Wally and get some Magnesium Oxide --it's about useless for correcting a deficiency. You need a highly available form to get back to right. Those of you are fighting a K problem may find it melting away with added Mg as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Billt

After reading The Magnesium Miracle by Carolyn Dean I decided that I indeed showed many symptoms of deficiency. I am in good company--80% of the population is deficient in this vital mineral!!
Glad to hear this is helping you. Any suggestions as to where to get. Is this 2 different types you are taking at the same time ? Thanks Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Nutricology make a Mg Chloride that Sherry Rogers highly recommends another chloride is Ionic MG by Good State--both are very good.Douglas Labs makes a Mg/K complex that has 90mg of each as aspartate which is very absorbable. Those of you with BP issues may find this very effective.

At bedtime bodybuilders benefit from a product called ZMA (Mg aspartate,Zn methionine) which helps sleep.

Always beware that when you increase one nutrient it usually demands an increase in a supporting nutrient. Mg is a macro mineral as is K but there is need for an added trace mineral Zn to process the chemical reactions kicked in by the MG/K. BUT don't throw a bunch of Zn into your diet as you will shortly imbalance Cu and Fe.

Billt

Nutricology make a Mg Chloride that Sherry Rogers highly recommends another chloride is Ionic MG by Good State--both are very good.Douglas Labs makes a Mg/K complex that has 90mg of each as aspartate which is very absorbable. Those of you with BP issues may find this very effective.

At bedtime bodybuilders benefit from a product called ZMA (Mg aspartate,Zn methionine) which helps sleep.

Always beware that when you increase one nutrient it usually demands an increase in a supporting nutrient. Mg is a macro mineral as is K but there is need for an added trace mineral Zn to process the chemical reactions kicked in by the MG/K. BUT don't throw a bunch of Zn into your diet as you will shortly imbalance Cu and Fe.
Thanks ...

Misfit Toy

I have been giving myself intramuscular injections of magnesium with no benefit as of yet. Mag and Taurine. Only 3 shots. I was drinking Natural Calm before and it would help me to go to the bathroom and gosh, have horrible gas. So happy to be avoiding that. Magnesium orally just makes me bloat.

I also did it via skin with Ancient Minerals. I am hoping the intramuscular way will help me.

Glad you are doing so well!! Shout out loud!

Misfit, in her book Day describes the problems you were having with oral Mg, She advises using Mg chloride transdermally and I did find relief with this before I got well enough to take it orally. In her book she also advises to switch forms until you find one your body tolerates. Aspartates and Taurates rate highly as does chloride. Citrate is less absorbable and has a laxative effect for many.

Sidney

Misfit, in her book Day describes the problems you were having with oral Mg, She advises using Mg chloride transdermally and I did find relief with this before I got well enough to take it orally. In her book she also advises to switch forms until you find one your body tolerates. Aspartates and Taurates rate highly as does chloride. Citrate is less absorbable and has a laxative effect for many.
I have tried Mg Oil (Mg chloride ) from Seven Seas Minerals. But couldn't stand the stickiness.
Is there an equally absorbable, and/or better mix of minerals, that comes in pill form? I fear not.

That should also have been a reply to billt!
I have tried Mg Oil (Mg chloride ) from Seven Seas Minerals. But couldn't stand the stickiness.
Is there an equally absorbable, and/or better mix of minerals, that comes in pill form? I fear not.
Sidney
I would invest in Day's book--it is a treasure trove of info. I applied the chloride form to the fronts of my thighs before bed time and it wasn't bothersome to me. The more I read the more I realize Zinc plays a role in Mg absorption and you may not have much luck correcting with at least a modicum of Zn.

Gondwanaland

just please don't go to Wally and get some Magnesium Oxide --it's about useless for correcting a deficiency
Following this kind of advice delayed my improvement in several months, since as it turned out Magnesium Oxide is the only form I can tolerate...

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
Magnesium enema is dirt cheap and its far, far more absorbable than the many oral forms I've tried. Much better than transdermal oil, too. If you are serious about raising magnesium levels, not just taking pills for the heck of it, look into enemas or injections.

mgk

The more I read the more I realize Zinc plays a role in Mg absorption and you may not have much luck correcting with at least a modicum of Zn.
I think you're right. I recently learned about the mechanism behind this: taurine keeps magnesium and potassium in the cell, but the body has trouble holding onto taurine in a zinc-deficient state (source). It has proved true in my experience as well. I've made more progress on my magnesium deficiency symptoms in the last 2 weeks than in the last several months just by adding in a well-absorbed form of zinc and adjusting the amount based on the taste test.

As an aside, I continue to be amazed at how ineffective a lot of supplements are, especially when it comes to minerals. I found out that I was deficient in zinc even though I had been supplementing with it for upwards of 5 months. The glycinate form is what I finally had some success with. I was using picolinate before that.

rahmama

But you don't look sick...
I found this thread in a search for Magnesium, a supplement that has changed my life. Our local health food store recommended Natural Calm by Natural Vitality. From the first dose I noticed a major improvement, mostly in my legs. When I crashed, I had mild to severe leg cramps. They would come on suddenly but could have been the result of previous days exertion as most of you know.

Since taking this form of calcium (about a month now) I've experienced no leg pain whatsoever. I take about 3 tsp. (just under 500 mg) just before bed because it helps me sleep too. So far I've not had a problem with loose stools, so my body may still be catching up from a long term deficiency.

I feel normal now, which is an amazing feeling. Better than I've felt in four years, since my first major crash when I could barely walk from the bedroom to the kitchen for months.

Thanks for @2manyhobbies who recommended The Magnesium Miracle. I just ordered the book after reading a number of Amazon reviews. From this thread I see that I should still be taking my Zinc supplement!

So much to learn! Glad to have found this forum.

Note: Natural Calm's form of magnesium is: Ionic magnesium citrate created from a highly absorbable blend of ctric acid and magnesium carbonate. It's in powder form and fizzes when you mix it up.

Billt

So, I would also need to add Zinc with this ?

So, I would also need to add Zinc with this ?

No ZMA has enough Zn to accommodate the Mg in the supplement--more would be counterproductive. Do heed that

Cu. and Fe are in competition with Zn in the gut for transporters and long term use of any unbalanced combination

will cause problems. If I take only Mg I usually start showing Zn deficiency symptoms in about a week--oily skin, brain fog.

Billt

No ZMA has enough Zn to accommodate the Mg in the supplement--more would be counterproductive. Do heed that

Cu. and Fe are in competition with Zn in the gut for transporters and long term use of any unbalanced combination

will cause problems. If I take only Mg I usually start showing Zn deficiency symptoms in about a week--oily skin, brain fog.

Thanks again. Will try to get some ZMA for him. maybe that will help the PEM. Be Well

rahmama

But you don't look sick...
How do I determine how much Zinc to take? I'm taking approx. 500 mg of Magnesium--Calm by Natural Vitality.

It's isn't an easy determination to make.

The trouble with piecemeal supplementation is that there is a bell shaped curve and when you shortly find that you need other nutrients to complete the enzyme deficit that you are correcting.

In theory 30mg. of Zn is required for 450mg. of Mg.--- BUT you need to mind Cu and Fe as they are all competing for gut transporters. It is a slippery slope to correct a deficiency.

You could switch to ZMA for a short while and see how you feel. Remember supplements are just that and you should try to include Mg rich foods like nuts seeds and greens (think chlorophyll ) to help with your daily dose--again I stress Deans book as it is really informative.

I strongly feel that many of the soils are mineral poor and a lot of pharmaceuticals further deplete our Mg. stores so it is kind of a double whammy.

drob31

Yeah unfortunately broad spectrum chelators like glyphosate prevent crops from absorbing Mag, and ABX depelete it. I'm sure everyone is super deficient. My mag RBC was low even when supplementing.

Mag glycinate works best for me.

I have been using Magnesium chloride and magnesium aspartate for about 2 months and the changes I am seeing are worth shouting about. Way more energy--Mg drives the ATP that fuels your muscles and nerves. A lot calmer and deeper sleep (and I thought I slept pretty well before) no anxiety or depression and just a lot more interest in my hobbies and other life activities.
My workouts have improved and I am not beat out like I used to be after a long bike ride or weight training session. I can't in good conscience recommend dosages because everyone's absorption is different--just please don't go to Wally and get some Magnesium Oxide --it's about useless for correcting a deficiency. You need a highly available form to get back to right. Those of you are fighting a K problem may find it melting away with added Mg as well.
I
This sounds familiar. I get a similar affect from Magnesium. I take it right before bed on an empty stomach and that seems to work best for me. I have heard that to increase absorption you should use the powder even though it's more expensive. I always get a relaxing nights sleep when using magnesium. Like you, I must have been deficient.