• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Biotic Research Bio B complex, struggling...

Avalon

Hi, anybody taking this B complex, gone back to basics by taking this supplement only and vitamin D3, magnesium, after a few attempts of Riches protocol.

Noticed that when taking 1 in the morning, became very hungry, feeling low in energy, funny tongue sensation. It has a high folate count of 135 mcg per tablet, which I have been very sensitive to . I'm also taking 2000iu Vit D3 sublingual in the morning, which does make me feel somewhat drugged.

supplement facts:http://bioticsresearch.com/sites/default/files/productlabels/1133-web_0.pdf

I now take B complex every other day. Is anyone taking this supplement? Thanks!

Last edited:

helen1

@Avalon I looked up the biotic research b complex and these are the supplement facts listed:

Thiamin (B1) (as thiamin mononitrate) 25 mg 1,667%
Riboflavin (B2) 25 mg 1,471%
Niacin (as niacinamide) 25 mg 125%
Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine hydrochloride) 50 mg 2,500%
Folate (as calcium folinate) 400 mcg 100%
Vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin) 100 mcg 1,667%
Biotin 300 mcg 100%
Pantothenic Acid (as calcium pantothenate) 50 mg 500%
Superoxide dismutase (from vegetable culture †) 20 mcg *
Catalase (from vegetable culture †) 20 mcg *

✝ Specially grown, biologically active vegetable culture containing naturally associated phytochemicals including polyphenolic compounds with SOD and catalase, dehydrated at low temperature to preserve associated enzyme factors.

I think that's way too much B6 especially in the pyridoxine hydrochloride form which requires conversion before being absorbable. If you don't have the necessary enzymes for that the unabsorbed pyridoxine can cause neuropathy; or if your body doesn't need 50 mg even if you can convert it, then you're still stuck with unabsorbed pyridoxine and the consequences of that. Sounds like that might be happening to you.

Some people have trouble with the calcium folinate (aka folinic acid) form of folate and 400 mcg is a lot for those sensitive to it even if they're fine with that form.

All the best.

Avalon

@Avalon I looked up the biotic research b complex and these are the supplement facts listed:

Thiamin (B1) (as thiamin mononitrate) 25 mg 1,667%
Riboflavin (B2) 25 mg 1,471%
Niacin (as niacinamide) 25 mg 125%
Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine hydrochloride) 50 mg 2,500%
Folate (as calcium folinate) 400 mcg 100%
Vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin) 100 mcg 1,667%
Biotin 300 mcg 100%
Pantothenic Acid (as calcium pantothenate) 50 mg 500%
Superoxide dismutase (from vegetable culture †) 20 mcg *
Catalase (from vegetable culture †) 20 mcg *

✝ Specially grown, biologically active vegetable culture containing naturally associated phytochemicals including polyphenolic compounds with SOD and catalase, dehydrated at low temperature to preserve associated enzyme factors.

I think that's way too much B6 especially in the pyridoxine hydrochloride form which requires conversion before being absorbable. If you don't have the necessary enzymes for that the unabsorbed pyridoxine can cause neuropathy; or if your body doesn't need 50 mg even if you can convert it, then you're still stuck with unabsorbed pyridoxine and the consequences of that. Sounds like that might be happening to you.

Some people have trouble with the calcium folinate (aka folinic acid) form of folate and 400 mcg is a lot for those sensitive to it even if they're fine with that form.

All the best.

Hi Helen,

Sorry! I should have included a link to the B supplement, its has a different profile to the one you've just commented on;
supplement facts:http://bioticsresearch.com/sites/default/files/productlabels/1133-web_0.pdf

helen1

That one looks much better. The only thing is it still has quite a lot of folinic acid for someone who's sensitive to it. You might want to take a quarter tablet and see if you feel any different.

PeterPositive

That's a pretty balanced, low-dose B complex.

You may be reacting to the folinic, but also to any other component including the SOD and catalase, which aren't common ingredients in a B complex.

From personal experience I can tell you that in times when I most needed B vitamins I was reacting badly to them and I had a hard time, for years, taking a basic B complex like this one.

I eventually started experimenting with separate vitamins, higher quality products with less fillers (not saying the one you're taking falls into that category), and other forms such as conezymated B vitamins. Sublinguals have helped a lot.

For quite some time I took Source Natural's sublingual B complex, which bypassed the digestion and I was finally able to restore adequate amounts of Bs.

Unfortunately it had synthetic folic acid in it, so I had to change it once again, when I discovered my poor ability to convert it.

Avalon

That one looks much better. The only thing is it still has quite a lot of folinic acid for someone who's sensitive to it. You might want to take a quarter tablet and see if you feel any different.

Yes, I will now be taking 1/2 tablet a day, perhaps every other day!. Amazed how the supplement ramps up my metabolic rate, I must have plenty of B12 stored in my liver from previous supplementation. Thanks Helen :)

Avalon

That's a pretty balanced, low-dose B complex.

You may be reacting to the folinic, but also to any other component including the SOD and catalase, which aren't common ingredients in a B complex.

From personal experience I can tell you that in times when I most needed B vitamins I was reacting badly to them and I had a hard time, for years, taking a basic B complex like this one.

I eventually started experimenting with separate vitamins, higher quality products with less fillers (not saying the one you're taking falls into that category), and other forms such as conezymated B vitamins. Sublinguals have helped a lot.

For quite some time I took Source Natural's sublingual B complex, which bypassed the digestion and I was finally able to restore adequate amounts of Bs.

Unfortunately it had synthetic folic acid in it, so I had to change it once again, when I discovered my poor ability to convert it.

Can't believe I'm so sensitive to Folinic acid at this dosage, I had similar problems on Riches' protocol with both methyfolate and folinic acid.
SOD and catalase not exactly sure what they do, are they involved in methylation?

I will have have a look at Source Naturals's B complex, but probably would have a problem with them aswell. Are you saying that by bypassing digestion you able to tolerate B's, where you suffering any digestive issues taking B's orally? Did you start by splitting the tablet?

Thanks again.

PeterPositive

Can't believe I'm so sensitive to Folinic acid at this dosage, I had similar problems on Riches' protocol with both methyfolate and folinic acid.
SOD and catalase not exactly sure what they do, are they involved in methylation?
No, actually.

I will have have a look at Source Naturals's B complex, but probably would have a problem with them aswell. Are you saying that by bypassing digestion you able to tolerate B's, where you suffering any digestive issues taking B's orally? Did you start by splitting the tablet?.
At the time (6-7 yrs ago), I could not tolerate a basic B complex (such as yours) very well. It would make me anxious and upset the digestion, yes.

The sublingual did the trick for me but, as you said, I had to cut the lozenges into quarters and start with that. Eventually I was able to take 2 entire tablets a day. (After 6-8 months)

Cheers