• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Peptide T for XMRV

K

Knackered

There's a place in Hungary that sells it for €35/mg.

Am I right in thinking if the patent expires anyone can make it?

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
Yes, anyone can make it. But it has to be approved first.
Big pharma don't want you and I taking medicine that they don't make money from, so they will definitely try to block the approval somehow. Then they will develop a less effective medicine with a really ugly side effect profile so they can profit off us.

K

Knackered

Yes, anyone can make it. But it has to be approved first.
Big pharma don't want you and I taking medicine that they don't make money from, so they will definitely try to block the approval somehow. Then they will develop a less effective medicine with a really ugly side effect profile so they can profit off us.

What about those Indian pharmaceutical companies who make generics?

ukme

Wow this is really interesting. But I don't understand why Peptide T was pushed under the carpet in the first place when it could have helped so many people and by consequence, made lots of money for the manufacturers. It just doesn't make sense to me at all.
I would love to hear from anyone who has tried it....

K

Katie

This is what I've learnt from the website, I'm still not 100% sure I'm looking at the right thing because I have no idea how drug patents work, for example could NICE do their own version, but here's what I've gleaned.

1. The patent was issued on 11th Nov 1997 and will expire 8th November 2015. The patent was applied for in August 1995 and they were awarded a 20year patent.

2. The patent is listed as "US Patent 5686417 - Peptide T and related peptides in the treatment of HTLV-1 myelopathy and multiple sclerosis"

3. It is patented abroad and internationally.

4. This is what it claims to do in MS and HTLV-1

1. A method for alleviating neurological, cognitive or motor symptoms of myelopathy associated with multiple sclerosis or HTLV-1 in humans, comprising the parenteral administration on a daily basis of a composition comprising:

i) a peptide in an amount effective to alleviate neurological, cognitive or motor symptoms
of myelopathy associated with multiple sclerosis or HTLV-1, said peptide having the formula:

D-Ala-Ser-Thr-Thr-Thr-Asn-Tyr-Thr-amide (SEQ ID NO:1);

ii) a pharmaceutically acceptable carrier for the parenteral administration of said peptide.

2. A method of claim 1 for alleviating symptoms of myelopathy associated with multiple sclerosis.

3. A method of claim 1 for alleviating symptoms of HTLV-1 associated myelopathy.

4. A method for alleviating neurological, cognitive or motor symptoms of myelopathy associated with multiple sclerosis or HTLV-1 in humans, comprising the intranasal administration on a daily basis of a composition comprising:

i) a peptide in an amount effective to alleviate neurological, cognitive or motor symptoms of myelopathy associated with multiple sclerosis or HTLV-1, said peptide having the formula:

D-Ala-Ser-Thr-Thr-Thr-Asn-Tyr-Thr-amide (SEQ ID NO:1);

ii) a pharmaceutically acceptable carrier for the intranasal administration of said peptide

It looks like we've got just short of six years before generics but if they were mass producing this for XMRV+ves then the price would come down.

I've bolded the mention of myelopathy, especially due to what the M in ME stands for. I feel I still know to little about medical science to give an informed opinion but whether myelopathy is XMRV related or not, this may have the potential to tackle neurological symptoms and inflammation of the spinal cord.

K

_Kim_

Composition for the treatment of chronic fatigue syndrome

I found it!!!!!!!! Here's the patent that describes the clinical trial that Judy mentioned. It's in a google patent format &/or pdf, but the text is scanned and cannot be copied/pasted. I've snipped the more relevant sections to make for easier reading/discussing.

Composition for the treatment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

YE5Ai.jpg

wgtR5.jpg

BSPQy.jpg

NzLBy.jpg

r5Img.jpg

pMehC.jpg

oOSEp.jpg

1mPi5.jpg

k9Ppu.jpg

nJVSW.jpg

fQ4S4.jpg

ZyOve.jpg

K

Katie

Brilliant find Kim, it seems that they were hoping that Peptide T would effect HHV-6 but although there was an improvement in symptoms (most of them self reported which isn't wholly reliable) HHV-6 wasn't touched. It was doing something though, this is going to be a very good thing to keep an eye on.

This doesn't relate to the patent but finding the original study trumps finding a patent anyway ;)

Advocate

They quote our man in this 2003 study in the journal Peptides.
There is a great deal of excitement about CCR5 entry inhibitors, and Peptide T may well be a novel one in the treatment of HIV, said Frank Ruscetti, prominent virologist and co-author of this study. It is very clear that it served as an effective inhibitor of viral infections. Id now like to see broader, placebo-controlled trials with a much more diverse patient base. Ideally wed enroll people who have just been diagnosed with HIV, are HAART nave, and some with much higher viral loads than those tested in this trial.

cfs since 1998

I found it!!!!!!!! Here's the patent that describes the clinical trial that Judy mentioned. It's in a google patent format &/or pdf, but the text is scanned and cannot be copied/pasted.

When you go to google patents, there is a link at the upper right side of the screen for "Plain Text".

K

Knackered

I found a better price here
http://www.peptide-catalog.com/PC/Peptides?PageNo=115

$20/mg or 15/mg if you buy 5mg

Also found this, they will synthesize it to order;
http://www.celtek-peptides.com/pricing.html

Peptide Price List
US Dollars ($) per Residue
Amount/Purity desalted >70% >80% >90% >95%
5 mg 20 27 35 37
10 mg 14 23 30 37 42
20 mg 16 26 33 43 50
30 mg 18 29 38 50 55
50 mg 22 35 45 60 65
100 mg 28 45 60 75 80

That's on a per order basis too, if it's mass produced the price will plummet and become affordable to everyone.

Trooper

Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing and thanks too for the prices found.

So 3mg a day, for one month = 90mg ... and 100mg is $60 at >80% purity...

A three month trial of this would be $180 or 116 = $60 a month/39 a month...

(Overseas shipping would have to be factored in to those outside of the states of course)

Hmmmmm!!

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing and thanks too for the prices found.

So 3mg a day, for one month = 90mg ... and 100mg is $60 at >80% purity...

A three month trial of this would be $180 or 116 = $60 a month/39 a month...

(Overseas shipping would have to be factored in to those outside of the states of course)

Hmmmmm!!

The prices on that one are 'per residue'. I am not really sure what that means and I'm hoping for someone to 'splain it. But I think that when they synthesize it, there are several 'residues'.

Trooper

Hi Julius,

Well spotted! I thought it meant for a whole chain :(

Residues are just another name for the linked amino acids in the peptide chain.

Peptide T has 8, so hmmm 8 x $60/39 a month jumps it up to $480/312 a month.

I think I could stretch to about 2 hours worth ;)

Hi Julius,

Do you people think its worth trying and will the prices go down once the demand increases?

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
Hi Julius,

That's what I thought, but wasn't sure. Thanks for clearing it up.

2 hours worth....funny.