• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Peptide T for XMRV

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
In her talk today Dr.Mikovits mentioned working with a substance called Peptide T. She mentioned that a trial had been run on individuals with CFS yeas ago with good results.

So far I have only read the Wiki page, but I am going to keep searching.

If anybody out there can find anything out about it, let's discuss it here.

This is what wiki has to say about it;

Peptide T- The first HIV entry inhibitor was discovered in 1986 by National Institutes of Health (NIH) researchers.[1] Peptide T, and its modified analog Dala1-peptide T-amide (DAPTA), the drug in clinical trials, is a short peptide derived from the HIV envelope protein gp120 which blocks binding[2] and infection[3] of viral strains which use the CCR5 receptor to infect cells.
Peptide T has several positive effects related to HIV disease and Neuro-AIDS.[4] A placebo-controlled, three site, 200+ patient NIH-funded clinical trial, which focused on neurocognitive improvements, was conducted between 1990 and 1995. The results showed that Peptide T was not significantly different from placebo on the study primary end points. However Peptide T was associated with improved performance in the subgroup of patients with more severe cognitive impairment.[5]
A long-delayed analysis of antiviral effects from the 1996 NIH study showed peripheral viral load (combined plasma and serum) was significantly reduced in the DAPTA-treated group.[6] An eleven person study for Peptide T effects on cellular viral load showed reductions in the persistently infected monocyte reservoir to undetectable levels in most of the patients.[7] Elimination of viral reservoirs, such as the monocytes, is an important treatment goal.[8] DAPTA has been shown to substantially suppress brain inflammation and block proinflammatory cytokine signaling pathways in a small animal model of Alzheimer's Disease[9].
[edit]References

^ Pert CB, Hill JM, Ruff MR, et al. (Dec 1986). "Octapeptides deduced from the neuropeptide receptor-like pattern of antigen T4 in brain potently inhibit human immunodeficiency virus receptor binding and T-cell infectivity". Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 83 (23): 9254–8. PMID 3097649. PMC 387114.
^ Polianova MT, Ruscetti FW, Pert CB, Ruff MR (Aug 2005). "Chemokine receptor-5 (CCR5) is a receptor for the HIV entry inhibitor peptide T (DAPTA)". Antiviral Res. 67 (2): 83–92. doi:10.1016/j.antiviral.2005.03.007. PMID 16002156.
^ Ruff MR, Melendez-Guerrero LM, Yang QE, et al. (Oct 2001). "Peptide T inhibits HIV-1 infection mediated by the chemokine receptor-5 (CCR5)". Antiviral Res. 52 (1): 63–75. PMID 11530189.
^ Ruff MR, Polianova M, Yang QE, Leoung GS, Ruscetti FW, Pert CB (Jan 2003). "Update on D-ala-peptide T-amide (DAPTA): a viral entry inhibitor that blocks CCR5 chemokine receptors". Curr HIV Res. 1 (1): 51–67. PMID 15043212.
^ Heseltine PN, Goodkin K, Atkinson JH, et al. (Jan 1998). "Randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial of peptide T for HIV-associated cognitive impairment". Arch Neurol. 55 (1): 41–51. PMID 9443710.
^ Goodkin K, Vitiello B, Lyman WD, et al. (Jun 2006). "Cerebrospinal and peripheral human immunodeficiency virus type 1 load in a multisite, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of D-Ala1-peptide T-amide for HIV-1-associated cognitive-motor impairment". J Neurovirol. 12 (3): 178–89. doi:10.1080/13550280600827344. PMID 16877299.
^ Polianova MT, Ruscetti FW, Pert CB, et al. (Jul 2003). "Antiviral and immunological benefits in HIV patients receiving intranasal peptide T (DAPTA)". Peptides 24 (7): 1093–8. PMID 14499289.
^ Crowe SM, Sonza S (Sep 2000). "HIV-1 can be recovered from a variety of cells including peripheral blood monocytes of patients receiving highly active antiretroviral therapy: a further obstacle to eradication". J Leukoc Biol. 68 (3): 345–50. PMID 10985250.
^ http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...serid=10&md5=0e811a9b1208ef21cdb36b1c72579de5

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
admins,

I meant for the title to read Peptide T for XMRV. Would one of you mind correcting it for me, please?

JanisB

If this is the peptide Candace Pert co-discovered, then I'd take the 'placebo' effect study with a grain of salt, as she experienced quite a bit of antagonism from the HIV/AIDS people at NIH when she stepped on their turf with this discovery. We all know how biased studies can be, depending on what the experimenter wants to prove. It would be great for CFS if Peptide T could be shown to help us because we could use something relatively non-toxic to reduce viral load. Wish we could get some organization to fund a CFS study with it, whether or not XMRV turns out to be an etiological or an opportunistic agent.

Hope123

Well, I'm glad someone caught the talk better than I did. Between the poor audio and my worsened state, I couldn't make out a lot of what Dr. M. said. Just a caveat that anything read about peptide T and HIV after 1994 needs to take into account that people might be on antiretrovirals already. Studies should mention whether people were on them or not and control for it in the results. In the US, research ethics doesn't allow people to be placed only on a placebo if there is an effective treatment available. So international studies might be of interest too.

Here is a site that sell DAPTA, the modified analog of Peptide T.

http://www.tocris.com/dispprod.php?ItemId=149489

thanks, julius
you saved me a lot of trouble by posting the link above

Biological Activity
Chemokine receptor 5 (CCR5) antagonist. Acts as a selective antiviral entry inhibitor for R5 tropic HIV-1 strains. Blocks CCR5-mediated monocyte chemotaxis and reduces microglia and astrocyte activation in a neuroinflammatory rat model of Alzheimer's disease.

Countrygirl

I was interested in the reference to Peptide T. If I heard correctly (very difficult, as the audio was dreadful :tear: ), Dr Judy said it inhibits XMRV and it has already been found to be a useful treatment in ME. :D

I have been having a quick search and have read that it is 'a protein kinase A enhancer' :confused:, which was designed to block action of gp 120 at the CD4 receptor in the treatment of HIV.It has also been found to produce both symptomatic and functional improvement in ME. (I want some! ) It is suggested that its apparent effectiveness is due to an neuromodulatory mode of action, rather than an immunological one. In one article I read, it said that it is possibly a VIP agonist :confused:, which stimulates the secretion of IL-1. That is all I have so far.

I would really like to try some! Has anyone any experience of it?

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
I transcribed that part of the talk;

5:10

Q: what is the expected translation time from bench to bedside...?

A:"...we are actually working with doctors and companies and other right now..." "... We've actually begun talking with some and I understand there was some
question about a compound known as Peptide T and we're actually developing drugs in other laboratories or compounds in other laboratories..."

6:55

Q: Why do you think Peptide T will inhibit XMRV...?

A:"...Dr.Candace Pert who actually developed, discovered and runs the company that has run clinical trials with Peptide T in HIV disease had actually
more than a decade ago run a clinical trial in men with CFS, and they saw improvement and when our paper came out she said 'I understand why now' and
she contacted me immediately and said we have an opportunity. We have a drug the is ready and certified by the FDA. We have a limited amount now so we
could run some small studies and actually follow XMRV.

Peptide T is known to interact with the monocyte which is a cell...[inaudible]...your immune response that's known to be infected and actually play
a role in retroviral diseases, (and as we mentioned that was my PHD thesis), so we actually had some sound scientific rationale to use Peptide T in this
cohort with XMRV.

Alesh

Here is info from Martindale drug reference:

Peptide T is an octapeptide segment of the envelope glycoprotein of HIV. It has been investigated for the treatment of HIV infection and HIV-associated neurological disorders. Peptide T has also been tried in the treatment of psoriasis.

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
It looks really interestingly. I want to have hands on DAPTA or peptide T ASAP. :Retro smile:

Just making sure you noticed my third post here. It has a link to places where you can buy it online.

If anyone does try it, please keep us all posted.

edit: I just checked the price. It's $53 EUR per mg. And the daily dose is 3-6 mg. Any millionaires on the forum?

Summer

Just making sure you noticed my third post here. It has a link to places where you can buy it online.

If anyone does try it, please keep us all posted.

edit: I just checked the price. It's $53 EUR per mg. And the daily dose is 3-6 mg. Any millionaires on the forum?

Ouch. $79/mg in USA.

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
There's so little supply right now because it's only been for research. If it works and it's mass produced, the price will come down. But who knows how much?

kat0465

does anyone know what the side effects of peptide T if any?? just in case i win the lottery??

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
does anyone know what the side effects of peptide T if any?? just in case i win the lottery??

No. There are no known side effects. There hasn't been a ton of research in it, but it has gone through approval for testing in humans. Not a single side effect or evidnece of toxicity has been noted.

FernRhizome

That's amazing, no side effects! Well we'll be the critical test pool on that! Many of us can't take any kind of drug at all....~Fern

Big Pharma?

No. There are no known side effects. There hasn't been a ton of research in it, but it has gone through approval for testing in humans. Not a single side effect or evidnece of toxicity has been noted.

So, I have to wonder now, if the problem is actually Big Pharma. Wiill we have to fight THEM now? Who CAN fight them? Guess I am getting ahead of myself. But..well over eight years ago, the industry knew that this was useful to the HIV population. Who could possibly be taking it?

$250-$500 a day (as things stand at this point in time) to use the stuff just isn't going to happen for most humans on the planet.

Cheery me. But it does seem to be all about the money, and not about human suffering.

usedtobeperkytina

whoa, if it was shown to make ME better before and it is owned by drug company, also no side effects, then why isn't it already on the market and being sold as treatment for us? I mean, I know of all the bias, but a drug company don't care about bias, they care about customers for a product. And they will have a lot of customers in PWC.

Even if they didn't understand why, seems they would have still pushed it.

Now, Ampligen, well, it has side effects, some get worse, etc. Company isn't managed well business-wise, etc. Totally different story.

Tina

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
I found this on the AIDS.org website.
http://www.aids.org/atn/a-119-01.html

Peptide T has been a hidden but appalling scandal for years. AIDS TREATMENT NEWS first covered this drug four years ago, on January 16, 1987 (issue #22). At that time we reported that the drug had been given to four terminally ill patients in Sweden, and their condition had improved. We concluded that January 1987 article with an unfortunately prophetic paragraph:

"The public, through its AIDS, medical, and other public- service organizations, must continue to watch the development of peptide T, as well as other treatment research. In the past, too many promising AIDS treatment leads have been strangled in red tape or left on the shelf to collect dust instead of being tested promptly. Only continuing public vigilance can make sure it doesn't happen again."

Later, we heard a credible (but not confirmed) report that the Swedish research had been stopped by U. S. pressure.

It would take a book to trace the convoluted history of peptide T and investigate the many allegations of wrongdoing in its history. What happened to this drug is a grotesque microcosm of problems with drug development in this country. We do recommend such a study for a serious researcher; many hundreds, if not thousands, of pages of documentation are available.

And this from the Georgetown University Medical Center
http://explore.georgetown.edu/news/?ID=2947&PageTemplateID=295

The U.S Government holds the patent on Peptide T, as Dr. Pert discovered it while working for the NIH. Advanced Immunity, Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Expert on Peptides, Inc. licensed Peptide T.

But I don't know when the patent was awarded. Patents generally last about 20 years, so it could be up soon. If the patent is expired, then the only place the big pharma could really interfere is with lobbying the FDA during the approval process.