• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low Vitamin D Levels Linked to Depression

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
http://doctormurray.com/low-vitamin-d-levels-linked-to-depression

A number of population-based studies indicate that low levels of vitamin D may contribute to depression. Possible mechanisms include that there are receptor sites for vitamin D distributed in brain areas involved in the processing of emotions. Vitamin D also regulates the manufacture of key brain chemicals like serotonin that are involved in the regulation of mood. Vitamin D also dampens the inflammatory response in the brain looked at as a key influencer in influencing mood by activating the stress response.

To further evaluate the role of vitamin D in depression, female undergraduate students living in the Pacific Northwest during fall, winter, and spring academic terms completed the Center for Epidemiologic Studies Depression (CES-D) scale weekly for 4 weeks. The women also had their blood levels for vitamin D3 and C determined.

Lower vitamin D3 levels predicted clinically significant depressive symptoms. There was some evidence that lower levels of depressive symptoms in Fall participants (vs. Winter and Spring) were explained by their higher levels of vitamin D3.

In addition to vitamin D3, an insufficiency of the long chain omega-3 fatty acids eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) found in fish oils has also been linked to depression. Studies have also reported that countries with high rates of fish oil consumption have low rates of depressive disorder. Because the brain is the richest source of fats in the human body and proper nerve cell function is critically dependent on proper cell membrane function, the benefits of omega-3 fatty acids are thought to be primarily due to improving cell membrane function.

Misfit Toy

I was on vitamin D for a year with no major benefit. I am back on it because I know I keep being told I am low and yet I see no benefits. I wish it was as simple as popping a pill of vitamin D. Many do report a major difference though.

I was on vitamin D for a year with no major benefit. I am back on it because I know I keep being told I am low and yet I see no benefits. I wish it was as simple as popping a pill of vitamin D. Many do report a major difference though.

I have noticed that Vit D is made in various forms and qualities.
Recently I began taking an oil emulsion form, which should make it more bio-available than the hard tablets.
It mixes with water, once a day. Seems to help, as I'm still alive. Was very sick .

Misfit Toy

Mine is also oil but in a gel cap. The one you mix with water sounds great. Anything I drink down usually works.

natasa778

A very interesting article on (counterproductiveness) of vitD supplementation

Why I don’t take vitamin D supplements

A closer examination shows that low vitamin D levels may be a consequence, not a cause, of poor health. And that supplementation with Vitamin D may actually be counterproductive...