• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

HOT! Coffin, Sharma, and Goff@ Conference on Retroviral Infections...

Michelle

Decennial ME/CFS patient
I've been a member here for a long time but don't get a chance to post much because I'm generally too sick and take way too long to process information anymore. But thank you. Thank you so much for posting this, Parvofighter. And you too, Advocate, for posting the link to the MedPage Today article. I'm trying not to get too excited yet about XMRV. I keep repeating to myself they have not yet proven that XMRV causes ME/CFS like it were a mantra. But...damn. Reading that it appears to be replicating in the GI tract and reproductive organs is just freakin' fascinating.

I started getting sick when I was 10-11. It wasn't too severe (lots of respiratory infections) but by 12 I had IBS. I got very ill when I had surgery 11 years ago and had a GI infection. Had another nasty GI infection 6 years ago and have been in horrible pain since. I've had unusual UTIs over the last several years as well as pain in my lower right abdomen for which my doctor wants me to get a laproscopy. I had blood clots in my lungs three years ago (for which I'm now on Coumadin) and they have no idea why. For that pain in my lower right abdomen they put me on progestrone-only birth control. I haven't had a good day since, except when I first started DHEA (but that only lasted for a month and a half).

I'm rambling about a bunch of possibly unconnected items. It's too easy to see my symptoms through this new XMRV lens. But...oh, could it really be possible that this new lens is the right one? Sigh. Only time and research will tell.

They have not yet proven that XMRV causes ME/CFS ...

D

dmarie4301

So, they really infected monkeys with XMRV???? Really??? Did I get that right?

This forum never ceases to amaze me at how quickly you jump on the latest news!

So, separate from the WPI work, a lab infected monkeys with XMRV, they got sick and they found the XMRV in lymph and sex organs???? Is this really true???

Did I get that right??? That is incredible!!! That's proof that XMRV is an infectous agent!

(I am wanting confirmation on this guys and gals..Im getting this right, right?? How come WPI hasnt mentioned this study?)

Also, I was blown away when Dr. Goff said that, when cultured, XMRV is VIGOROUS!!!!! VIGOROUS was the word he used. Not low level, not small quantities, not hard to find.....but it's vigorous!!

It seems everyday now, there is something to keep an eye on!!!

Thanks Cort for starting this website and the forums, it's been and is one of the most useful resources Ive ever run across in 20 years.

Donna

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
This forum never ceases to amaze me at how quickly you jump on the latest news!

So, separate from the WPI work, a lab infected monkeys with XMRV, they got sick and they found the XMRV in lymph and sex organs???? Is this really true???

Did I get that right??? That is incredible!!! That's proof that XMRV is an infectous agent!

(I am wanting confirmation on this guys and gals..Im getting this right, right?? How come WPI hasnt mentioned this study?)

Also, I was blown away when Dr. Goff said that, when cultured, XMRV is VIGOROUS!!!!! VIGOROUS was the word he used. Not low level, not small quantities, not hard to find.....but it's vigorous!!

It seems everyday now, there is something to keep an eye on!!!

Thanks Cort for starting this website and the forums, it's been and is one of the most useful resources Ive ever run across in 20 years.

Donna

They didn't get 'sick'. They simply got infected.

Also, the study isn't completed or published yet. So WPI probably won't make any official statement.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
It does show that XMRV can infect numerous parts of the body; that it you get it in the blood it can go on and infect cells in the lymphoid organs, lungs, reproductive tissue (what about the brain?). It doesn't say that its causing problems in any of these but its definitely infecting cells in our good friends (poor guys) the primates. I think that's pretty big news. It also shows how serious these researchers; primates are alot more expensive than rodents; they 'harvested' them at two weeks and over a couple of months - expensive stuff I imagine.

They didn't appear to get ill though - interesting - but probably not very conclusive. I think people with HIV typically feel like they come down with a cold (or not) and then appear to recover and are fine for years! I think retroviruses often take alot of time to do their work.

I think everyone should follow Michele's lead.

First a replication study that finds something!
Then a study that indicates removing or inhibiting the virus brings results.
(Then get really excited. :))

D

dmarie4301

Dr. Mikovits said during her Q&A with Cheney on Feb 20th, that yes, she believes it could infect the brain. I am impressed that they have taken this virus and gone as far as infecting monkeys, I agree Cort. Im also very pleased that it's a separate study from WPI's work. AND that it is a different type of research. Looks like perhaps it could lead to a serology test as well. Im very pleased that other entities besides WPI really are taking this seriously.

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
I've been wondering about the notion that these monkeys aren't getting sick. How did they determine that? Does anybody know?

Seeing the monkeys can't talk (presumably) the only way one could tell if they are sick is through observation, and/or testing. We all know that observation and testing doesn't really show illness with CFS. Unless you get very specific testing, of severe CFS.

Maybe they are sick and the researchers just can't tell.

D

dmarie4301

Good point. I was assuming they were sick, if they have XMRV....and if we have it too, and it is the causation of our misery, then they would feel sick. A lot of assumptions. But yeah, did they take their temps to see if there was an initial fever? Im not sure now what she meant that they were acutely and chronically ill.

Nevertheless, it certainly is an interesting twist of news....that they found the virus in different tissues, post mortem. Dr. Mikovits has been saying all along that they need more research to find tissue reservoirs....is the XMRV in other tissue besides blood?

I would guess the monkeys werent feeling well tho. :)

Lynn

Do any of you women have breast swelling?QUOTE]

Yes, I have breast swelling that I cannot figure out. I am going to turn 50 this week, so I would think the hormonal fluctuations are over. But just last week, I was wondering if I had some kind of infection or another because of the swelling.

I have to admot that I am not really sure why this relates to lymph nodes. In my early stagesof the illness I had tender lymphnodes ( I called them Frankenstein bumps). I have been ill since the '80's butI haven't had that in about seven years.

Lynn

SeaShel

My pea brain is in overdrive with this news.

Did my total hysterectomy several years ago inadvertently help me? Or make things worse cuz the xmrv (if I have it) has to find somewhere else to hang out? (can that happen?)

This did make me connect a couple of dots for myself when I realized tonight that it's been since the hysterectomy that I quit having the constantly swollen lymph nodes.

Hmmmmm - so many questions!

Shelley

beesknees

Is it possible the monkey isn't showing signs of being ill because it hasn't been introduced to a secondary infection. Doesn't XMRV need a secondary infection to activate among other things. Most of us got sick after Glandular Fever, Mono, Lyme, etc. That explains why some people that test positive for XMRV don't have symptoms. I wonder if they have plans to do that? Here's a stupid question would it make a difference if they infected a male monkey or a female monkey?

camas

They did mention finding XMRV in the vaginal tissue of the one female monkey, but didn't mention if she was more severely infected.

flybro

SeaShell I definately benefited from having a hysterectomy about 18yrs ago, my ovaries were aspirated to get rid of cysts. I wish I had got rid of my ovaries too.

I'm still considering binning the ovaries as cycsts continue to be a prob.