• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Advice on Transfer Factors and Immune modulators (boosters).

Moshi

I have done reasonably well during the past 1,5 years. With methylation protocol, tons of supplements, gluten-free (paleo-ish, organic) diet, amalgam removal and chelation etc etc etc. I've gone from 25-30% functionality to a solid 60-65%. I work 20h/ week and take care of my two small children (and husband),
BUT, I would really like to see some improvement in terms of my dysfunctioning immune system. I have had long periods of constant infections, you know, catching every single bug around and being sick from october to april, like non-stop. Then I have had other periods (mainly when being pregnant) when I did not get any infections, but still felt "fluey" all the time (ME-symtoms). In any case, even though I am doing reasonably well right now I am sick of getting sick with back-to-back infections during the past four (winter) months. When my kids catch a cold/flu, I will get it 4-5 days later. Without exception. and I will be as sick as a dog, for exactly three weeks. Then enjoy 1-2 "good weeks" and then get sick again. Sure, it's all part of being a parent, but no other parent I know get as many infections as me.
Even though I tested negative for a couple of viruses and bugs (lyme, EBV and mycoplasma etc) when I got my ME/CFS diagnosis, I have strong reasons to believe that I do have chronic/hidden viruses that cause me problems.
I have been taking LDN for the past 4 months, (up to 3mg/day) and have some improvemnt in energy/stamina, I think, however, still very much prone to infections. I added Inosine (pulsing protocol) about 1+ month ago) and perhaps its working...This is the first time I didn't catch my dauthers cold....*fingers crossed* now to my question:
I am tempted to try transfer factors....but I need input and advice....please respond if you have anything to say about transfer factors or general advice on immuno modulators etc.
Thanks!!!

Moshi

Sorry Minkeygirl, I realize there is way too much text there, was trying to type it all up quickly as my 1,5 y/o was trying to tear the ipad from my hands...
Quick summary:

- need advice (or other people's experience) on Transfer Factors
- welcome general advice on immuno-modulation
- already taking LDN and pulsing inosine

Cheers!

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Thanks this helps. You are able to edit the first post if you want for others who stumble on it.

I've taken immunovir, cycloferon and am currently on LDN.

I never noticed much in how I feel and while on the immunovir, which I alternated with the cycloferon, my NK cell function dropped 136 pts. (May be a lab error).

I think the LDN is helping me sleep but as to anything else I know it takes time.

I've taken transfer factors and got nothing although I would think the quality makes a huge difference.

@heapsreal can add more specific info about how things affect our immune system
Numbers

Moshi

Thanks for replying Minkeygirl, Your NK-cell count dropped?
After 3 months on LDN I do think I have improved, although nothing real dramatic yet, and sleep seem to be a little better also, somewhat deeper I think, although I still need zolpidiem several nights/week. (First month on LDN sleep was severly disrupted).
I hope to get more input on transfer factors....anyone?

SOC

The following products seemed to have helped me when I had a lot of casual, persistent infections. I can't guarantee they're what did it, but they might be worth trying for several months to see if they help.

These two are no longer available as far as I can tell, but similar products might work similarly:
ProHealth Transfer Factor 200 -- It supposedly targets HHV6 and EBV, both of which I had.

ProHealth Transfer Factor Essentials -- It appears to be the same product as this.

Both contain IP6 and Beta Glucan among other immune modulators

The one that is still available and I still take on and off is High ORAC Energy Greens which has a lot more than immune modulators in it, so may not be what you want. Among many other things, it does have the beta glucan along with other medicinal mushroom products, and astragalus root. I no longer take the full dose of this... probably half a dose 4 or 5 days out of 7.

I also have good luck with a lower dose of Equilibrant for reducing that "catching everything" situation. For me 1-2 pills daily seems to do the trick.

My NK cell function was not tested before I was taking any of these products, so I don't know if they are (as advertised) affecting NK cell function. However, my NK cell function has been normal or slightly high when it has been tested while I was taking these products. No guarantee of a correlation, just an observation. :)

Moshi

Thanks @minkeygirl and @SOC. This is the kind of useful info I was hoping for! AHCC is very interesting, I will cosider it. Will the Source Naturals brand suffice? The High Oraf Energy Greens looks like it may be worth investing in too, it could probably replace any old multi. Thanks again!!!

Mij

I hope to get more input on transfer factors....anyone?

I took 4-Life TF 15yrs ago. I would not exceed 3 caps/day of any TF or you might stir up your immune system. I personally would not buy antigen specific TF either as there is no information or proof that the TF targets any type of infection. How do they produce TF that is "antigen specific"? Do they inject the cow with HHV6??? My functional and integrative doctor and I could not get a straight answer. Also touting 'antigen specific" supplements is illegal because it would fall under the classification of a drug.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I used the source naturals. Got zero benefit.

If I had the money I wouldn't waste my time on transfer factors. Id go straight to AHCC which many people here have benefited from vs TF.

SOC

"Do they inject the cow with HHV6???
As I understand it, yes, they do. The real question is does that result in antibodies being produced that are in any way useful to us? It's not been studied sufficiently so there's no solid evidence. Frankly, I'm not sure I buy the theory, but daughter and I did do better when we were taking antigen-specific TFs. We're just not sure exactly what about the product was making a difference... and it wasn't huge, just a noticeable improvement.

Mij

As I understand it, yes, they do. The real question is does that result in antibodies being produced that are in any way useful to us? It's not been studied sufficiently so there's no solid evidence. Frankly, I'm not sure I buy the theory, but daughter and I did do better when we were taking antigen-specific TFs. We're just not sure exactly what about the product was making a difference... and it wasn't huge, just a noticeable improvement.

I agree, I think an all purpose TF might be beneficial as well and cost less than than the antigen specific brands. It is difficult to know for sure. I took TF for 6 months and I no longer get these painful mouth ulcers that I had for many year. I also no longer get itchy hives that I had for many years (pre illness).

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Moshi - I've had the same problem with constant infections, mainly sinus and respiratory, although my energy levels are rising due to a ton of factors which I won't go into right now. It is rather frustrating though as I finally have some more energy, but now am sick too much to use it!

How do you pulse the inosine? How much do you take and then when do you stop and restart? I'm just starting to take it and could definitely use more information!

Interestingly, I have also just ordered some AHCC. The last time my NK cells were tested, they were just about at the bottom of the normal range, which was something like 8 - 165 and my level was around 11. So I'm sure that's a factor in my constant infections. AHCC is supposed to raise NK levels so I'll be starting that this week (it arrives tomorrow)

I also recently started taking panax ginseng, also supposed to raise NK levels - I don't know if it's doing any good though it isn't hurting me at least. My latest sinus infection is over 3 weeks now, I get better, then relapse over and over so am hoping the inosine and AHCC will help.

Moshi

@Mary - I feel the same as you do, In general, my energy level and functionality has improved, but as I still suffer from constant infections....and the fact that they last so long etc....inables me to have these good, stable periods that I could be enjoying these days. In terms of inosine, I've seen a bunch of different dosing schedules....The one I'm using is this one:
week 1 - 500mg 3 times per day, weekends off.
week 2 - 1000mg 3 times per day, weekends off.
week 3 - repeat week 1
week 4 - repeat week 2
continue for 3 months, rest for 1 month, continue for another three months....
In addition to inosine I take LDN drops, 3mg at night.
I will also try the AHCC, perhaps during the month when I'll pause the inosine, and also considering trying a more "all purpose" transfer factor or something like Immunel Colostrum Fraction.
This month, after a few weeks on the inosine schedule, I was able to dodge the flu that my youngest daughter had. I cannot remember when I last had a sick child and did NOT get the bug myself. Must have been many many years ago.
Interesting indeed. :)

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Moshi - thanks so much for the info! I'm glad the inosine seemed to help you dodge the flu. I've taken one capsule (500 mg.) 2 days in a row now - it's pretty strong stuff - I can feel it boost my energy and I think is helping with this latest sinus infection, will see. I was a little afraid it might make me crash, as I wanted to do a lot of things with the extra energy and had to say "no!" to myself as I have to go somewhere today and could not afford a crash, but will be able to push it in a couple of days and see what I can do The AHCC just arrived, so will see what happens with that too - I tried ldn about 5 years ago but it made me rather spacey, and interfered with functioning so had to stop.

Changexpert

Copying my response about lactoferrin from another thread...

I was diagnosed with very low neutrophils and WBC counts back in November. I got so sick in December to the point I had severe digestive issues. Upon researching potential supplements for immune boost, I decided to try Lactoferrin. To my surprise, lactoferrin worked very well and my WBC level went from 3,000/uL to 4,800/uL in just one month! Neutrophil increased from 900/uL to 2,800/uL as well, and the percentage went from 29% to 53%. One side effect I had with lactoferrin was increased hair loss, which I am still not sure why that occurred.

Even though lactoferrin is great at boosting immune system, there is no consensus on how that is achieved and what kind of impact it has on the overall immune response. Some studies say lactoferrin acts as an adaptogen, correcting imbalance between th1 and th2. Some studies say it shifts body toward th1 while others say toward th2. This particular study shows the shift toward th2, which is not where we want to be.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8874770

My advice on lactoferrin would be to use it for one week, see how your body reacts, and prolong no more than one month. Once your body's immune system's blood work is in the reference range, it can start working again to head toward right direction.

Besides lactoferrin, I've also tried 4-Life TF Plus. My main focus of improving immune system was to fight hair loss, and TF Plus definitely worsened my hair loss quite a bit. I wasn't comfortable with taking TF to begin with as I found the concept not very convincing. I've heard people going to ER after taking the supplement, so I would not recommend it.

Another one I tried was Epicor, which supposedly increases NK cells and NK activity level. Unfortunately, this also worsened hair loss for some reason. Based on what I've experienced, hair loss can be accelerated by improvement in immune system. I realize that hair goes through cycle and the infamous initial shedding that will improve hair in the long-run. Unfortunately, I haven't used any product long enough to see if that is true. Lactoferrin and epicor were definitely less invasive than TF, and lactoferrin was the most helpful supplement in boosting immune function.

Moshi

A small update on my Inosine-treatment -
I've been on an Inosine schedule for a little over 2 months now (in combination with LDN that I've been using for 4+ months). I've had some great times during this period, AND, I have managed to dodge the flu! There have been at least two times during this period when I SHOULD have gotten sick, and yet I did'nt. Quite extraordinary! However, lately (1+ week) I am not doing well at all. Lots of old ME-symtoms flaring up and I am suspecting some kind of herx-action going on. Will take a break from Inosine very soon. Has anyone here experienced adverse reactions after some time on inosine or other immuno-modulators? *Curious*

dannybex

A small update on my Inosine-treatment -
I've been on an Inosine schedule for a little over 2 months now (in combination with LDN that I've been using for 4+ months). I've had some great times during this period, AND, I have managed to dodge the flu! There have been at least two times during this period when I SHOULD have gotten sick, and yet I did'nt. Quite extraordinary! However, lately (1+ week) I am not doing well at all. Lots of old ME-symtoms flaring up and I am suspecting some kind of herx-action going on. Will take a break from Inosine very soon. Has anyone here experienced adverse reactions after some time on inosine or other immuno-modulators? *Curious*

Okay, I'm confused. I thought that the vast majority of people w/ME/CFS almost never get a 'real' flu or say even a serious sinus infection (complete with high fevers, a sign of a normal Th2-type response) since becoming ill?

In the last 17 years, I've probably had a fever higher than 103-104 on two or three occasions, and they lasted only a day or two at the most, then it was back to temps around 97 or less. Not the normal immune response that we need in order to kill off the buggers.

It just seems to me that if someone actually got the flu, and the decent fever that goes along with it, that it would mean that you're actually starting to recover from CFS/ME.

???

Moshi

@dannybex - I have not had a proper fever for at least 6+ years, this does not mean that I do not get the flu. I get the flu all the time, without a fever, and it takes my body about three weeks to deal with it. A very "interesting" symtom that I always get when sick, is extreme nausea. I'm guessing I'm not the only one in this forum experiencing extreme nausea for weeks on end?
Well, about three+ weeks after quitting the inosine I got terribly ill with the flu which I am yet to recover from. It seems like in my case, the inosine did actually protect me from new infections, but after taking a break from it, my immune-response once provoked, has NOT improved. I will try Inosine again though. Perhaps I'll wait until the fall.
Apart from that I am taking a whole bunch of "immune-boosters"; colostrum, TF, AHCC, astragalus etc. No success just yet.

SunMoonsStars

Honestly after my current experience with H2 blockers that affect h2 receptors of the T suppressor ( regulator) cells and therefore up regulating immunity out of a suppressed state. ---
I would try the H2 blocking drugs on and off through the months.

Esp if your getting viral flus and colds or viral issues

See how that works for you.