• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Esophageal Spasms/Acid Reflux/GERD

Lotus97

I've been having symptoms for the past few months that seem to be some sort of acid reflux/GERD and esophageal spasms.

The main symptom is pressure in the back of my throat like something is stuck there, but it gets worse if I don't do anything to stop it. Chewing fennel seeds generally stops the symptoms, but they're not getting any better.

The symptoms are mainly caused by sour things, garlic, and swallowing pills.

I had these symptoms a few years ago and had to stop SSRIs because that seemed to be the main cause. I'd like to avoid doing this again because I've been having a lot of problems with depression over the past year and a half.

I've stopped taking LDN (low dose naltrexone) because I read this can cause these symptoms. I was also taking serrapeptase (aka Serrazimes or Serratiopeptidase) which I've stopped because I've read that it can also cause stomach irritation. I'm taking DGL which does seem to provide temporary relief, but so far hasn't done much to prevent the symptoms.

ahmo

@Lotus97 I came across this GERD reference yesterday when doing some research re sulfur. From Amy Yasko's free ebook:
pg 155-6: ” High sulfites are known triggers for asthma, and certain contributing factors in asthma may lead to excess acid production. Ordinarily, histamine reactions, such as those contributing to asthmatic symptoms, are viewed as allergic responses. However, histamine receptor overactivity is also tied to the excess acid production observed in GERD. According to Pneumological Aspects of Gastroesophageal Reflux (edited by Dal Negro and Allegra):

Gastroesophageal reflux (GER) refers to symptoms and events that result from abnormal regurgitation of gastric contents into the esophagus. Respiratory diseases, in particular bronchial asthma, can be exacerbated by multiple triggers, including GER. The relationship between the occurrence of gastroesophageal disorders and changes in respiratory function has been known for over a century, but the mechanism by which esophageal acid regurgitation can produce respiratory symptoms is still debated. The reasons for these concurrent pathological events are also not fully understood. Determining, for instance, whether reflux itself initiates or exacerbates asthma, or whether asthma or its treatment primarily causes GER is a matter of current investigation.

This work supports the working theory that acid reflux seen in individuals with SUOX mutations or with CBS upregulations may be related to the excess sulfites in their systems. Maintaining adequate levels of molybdenum, limiting sulfur donors, and the use of the Lung Support RNA, Respiratory Support RNA, as well as the Stomach pH Balancing RNA and Stress RNA may help to balance the acid reflux. Quercetin can be used to limit mast cell degranulation for those individuals who are COMT—/–or COMT +/–. In addition, Petadulex (butter- bur) may be helpful in balancing allergic/histamine reactions.
Adequate magnesium has been shown to be helpful in addressing asthma and may therefore benefit those with high sulfite levels. In one study of asthmatic“

perchance dreamer

I've had reflux, too, along with other digestive symptoms. It sounds like you don't have those, but I'll mention what's helped me with reflux.

I'm 56, and I've read that by the age of 40 or so, many people produce fewer digestive enzymes and less of the stomach acid needed for good digestion.

So I started using digestive enzymes with HCL. That helped, but did not fully take care of the reflux. So I added Pure Encapsulations DGL Plus, which in addition to DGL has aloe vera, slippery elm, and marshmallow.

That helped further, but I was still having some reflux. So I added a probiotic for digestive problems, Ultimate Flora Senior Formula.

I also added one cap of Jarrow D-Limonene at night. If you google limonene and reflux or limonene and gerd, lots of information comes up.

I've gotten much better since the 4 nights of the limonene I've taken so far. Amazon and iHerb both carry Jarrow D-Limonene and have customer reviews.

It's also helped my sleep, which is a nice bonus I didn't expect. It activates adenosine. However, I read all the reviews on AZ and iHerb, and only 2 or 3 people mentioned the sleep help, so it might not be a common effect.

I drink plenty of water with limonene to get it as far down as possible. From what I've read, it can be uncomfortable if you take it with too little water.

If you can't get the reflux under control on your own, I'd see a doctor. It can lead to some serious conditions if it goes on too long.

perchance dreamer

I forgot to add that with reflux you are supposed to refrain from lying down for at least 2 hours after eating.

Also, I'm taking glutamine powder in the morning. It is supposed to help heal the gut lining. There's been some discussion on PR about glutamine and how certain people should avoid it, but I have just kind of ignored it. There's so much great information here, but it can be a little overwhelming for me.

daisybell

The sensation of globus is nearly always due to GERD I think. I get symptoms periodically, and take a proton pump inhibitor for usually somewhere between 2 and 3 weeks. I find that it long enough to give me a number of months without symptoms. I don't think that these meds have too many side effects so I feel happy to take them as needed.

Helen

Helen, how should someone check cranial nerves? I'm having many of these same problems...thanks, JAH
Jah, if you google cranial nerves you will find facts about their function/innervation. Also "cranial nerves +examination" might be useful. Hope you will find explanations to some of your problems.

Lotus97

I forgot to add that with reflux you are supposed to refrain from lying down for at least 2 hours after eating.

Also, I'm taking glutamine powder in the morning. It is supposed to help heal the gut lining. There's been some discussion on PR about glutamine and how certain people should avoid it, but I have just kind of ignored it. There's so much great information here, but it can be a little overwhelming for me.
Thanks. Does that have something to do with glutamine possibly converted into glutamate?

perchance dreamer

Hi, Lotus, yes, the conversion to glutamate does sound familiar. I seem to do okay with glutamine. I was afraid it would make my insomnia worse since it can be stimulating for some people, but it doesn't affect my sleep one way or the other. I do take it in the morning, just in case.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I also added one cap of Jarrow D-Limonene at night. If you google limonene and reflux or limonene and gerd, lots of information comes up.

I've gotten much better since the 4 nights of the limonene I've taken so far. Amazon and iHerb both carry Jarrow D-Limonene and have customer reviews.

It's also helped my sleep, which is a nice bonus I didn't expect. It activates adenosine. However, I read all the reviews on AZ and iHerb, and only 2 or 3 people mentioned the sleep help, so it might not be a common effect.

Hi @perchance dreamer - I've got my bottle of this and was thinking of trying it tonight but I'm a bit confused about how to take it - the bottle recommends with or after food but others seem to be taking it before bed, like you - but people with reflux are advised not to eat for three hours before bed so I guess that means you're taking it without food?

I've seen quite a few mentions that it makes people sleepy!

perchance dreamer

Hi, @Sasha. I am taking it without food before bed and haven't had any problems. It might not make you sleepy. You could try taking it a couple of hours after dinner and seeing how it affects you.

It's helped me so much with the reflux. My nutritionist said it's fine to keep taking it because it's a good antioxidant.

If you got the Jarrow brand, the capsule is pretty big. I take it the way I do all supplements: I put water in my mouth first, then the capsule, and it all glides down easily.

Good luck! I hope it works for you.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Hi, @Sasha. I am taking it without food before bed and haven't had any problems. It might not make you sleepy. You could try taking it a couple of hours after dinner and seeing how it affects you.

It's helped me so much with the reflux. My nutritionist said it's fine to keep taking it because it's a good antioxidant.

If you got the Jarrow brand, the capsule is pretty big. I take it the way I do all supplements: I put water in my mouth first, then the capsule, and it all glides down easily.

Good luck! I hope it works for you.

Thanks, perchance - I took one last night, a couple of hours after I'd eaten anything and I did feel sleepy (but I'd gone to bed late the night before so maybe it was coincidence!).

I find such large tablets impossible to swallow just with water so I chewed up a bit of ricecake, inserted the capsule in the middle of it, and swallowed that.

It seems to have improved things a little already - I'll keep taking it every other day for twenty days like in the trial and see what happens.

Thanks for telling me about this!

I was also very cheered by talking to a friend last night who had daily reflux for two months some time ago and then it just went away all on its own. You don't hear those stories!

Very glad I haven't taken the PPIs my doctor wanted me to.

Melatonin seems to be interesting too:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/717460_5