• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

HOT! Coffin, Sharma, and Goff@ Conference on Retroviral Infections...

R

Robin

Yeah, the poor monkeys - they give them HIV and XMRV AND they have to be at the same University as Reeves!!

Reeves will blame their traumatic childhoods and then put them on monkey treadmills for some GET! :tear::tear:

Nice work, parvo. :) I <3 Coffin. And not just because he uses the phrase "grind the sausage"! :eek:

\\he NCI is pretty serious about it, they dont want to miss anything. And they want to play a role in identifying the properties of this virus and its potential risks. So theyre pretty serious about it. The range of anxiety is from very mild to the worst scenarios: Gosh, do we need to be worried about it getting into the blood bank. Do we need to be concerned if its really causing a certain subset of prostate ca. And the latest is the potential link reported last year of an association with CFS which would be very exciting because thats a disease that has struggled to find a viral cause.

You know, we talk a lot about the Wesselys and the Reeves, and the mean researchers who seem to discriminate against CFS medically and politically. But the fact that there are awesome researchers who don't know that much about CFS yet refrain from accepting the somatic theory, and are excited to help patients....that is so cool. They deserve a lot of credit.

parvofighter

Dr Coffin: There is no question that XMRV is real and infecting people

Dr Coffin's quote was such good news, I just have to repeat it!
There is no question I think that the (XMRV) virus is real and that the virus is infecting some numbers of people. And its VERY (Coffin's emphasis) important to figure out where it is going as far as all of its disease associations are concerned In mice these (murine leukemia) viruses cause cancer, immunodeficiencies, neurological disease there is good reason at least to think that these viruses may be associated with disease in humans, perhaps prostate cancer, perhaps Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
Dr Goff was more tempered, but even so his words are hard-hitting:
This virus causes diseases in mice that would be of concern if similar things were happening in people.,,, So it (XMRV) is definitely out there...for sure its a virus that we need to know more about.
Robin, you hit the nail on the head:
the fact that there are awesome researchers who don't know that much about CFS yet refrain from accepting the somatic theory, and are excited to help patients....that is so cool.
I'm not concerned about the first 2 "rebuttal" studies - they're just so full of methodological flaws. But what concerns me is the piecemeal acceptance by much of the media of their fundamentally flawed conclusions. And I hate the way such seriously flawed research is jubilantly waved in front of patients with a devastating neuro-immune disorder. Or the way that some truly evil "CFS" pundits are saying that further XMRV research is a waste of time.

Finally we have a glimmer of balance, an infinitesimal levelling of the playing field. A cadre of researchers who have no qualms about the possibility that their science might give ME/CFS patients some hope! Just as the CBT/GET engine is showing signs of panic-mode strain (can anyone say "Class Action Suit"?), there is a whole new economic and scientific engine starting up - the pharmas, biotechs, and researchers who are HUNGRY :)Retro biggrin::D) to uncover the connections between XMRV and CFS. Yes, still to be validated - but my money's on XMRV as the culprit for our disease. A powerful economic engine has been started: XMRV science is becoming an industry - an Olympic race - unto itself, and that's a GOOD thing!

I think my favorite part was Dr Coffin talking about "grinding the sausage"! Thank heavens for genuine nerds - scientists who really get jazzed up by new and exciting scientific discoveries... particularly ones which could bring us out of this neuro-immune darkness. I was getting seriously annoyed with the blind lemming approach to reporting of lousy XMRV science!:Retro smile: I wonder if we might get a copy of the powerpoint presentations from this retroviral conference? Ideas?

P.S. Thanks for the hugs and good wishes - I hope to be back more soon. Most appreciated, and I think we were all due for a few:hug:

CBS

$$$

Parvo,

You are spot on about this putting the first two UK studies in perspective. The presentation by, and simply the presence of, the Abbot doc is not in$ignificant:

XMRV: Examination of Viral Kinetics, Tissue Tropism and Serological Markers of Infection. John Hackett Jr, Abbott Diagnostics, Abbott Park, IL US

K

_Kim_

Just some more bits - Summary by the Conference Chair John Mellors 2/16/2010 @ 00:29

We have many exciting topics that are emerging. Those include the discovery and possible transmission to human beings of a NEW retrovirus from mice called XMRV. And we'll have a plenary session on that topic. There has been a paradox observed. This mouse virus infects primates, sub-human primates, and there's some evidence that it infects man, but there have been controversial findings in human studies. It's been linked in some studies to Prostate Cancer and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, but not in others. We look forward to a presentation by a senior retrovirologist, Steve Goff, on that topic.

From Dr. Prachi Sharma 02/19/2010 Friday Press Conference Part I (she spoke right after Dr. Goff)

So our study was done at Emory University in collaboration with Abbott Diagnostics and Cleveland Clinic. And we were trying to establish non-human primate model for XMRV infection in human beings. So we did infect 5 animals and we studied acute infection and chronic infection in all 5 of them (2 of them actually and 3, chronic infection) And so then we studied the localization of this virus in 5 of these animals. So we used our detection techniques, immunohistochemistry and incyto hybridization to see the replicating virus in various organs of these animals. And we were able to detect it in reproductive organs and in lymphoid organs of these animals. So, that was our summary.

From John Hackett Jr. Abbott Diagnostics 02/19/2010 Friday Press Conference Part I
Hello my name is John Hackett. I'm in the emerging pathogens and virus discovery area within Abbott Diagnostics. And we actually initiated work on XMRV fairly soon after it was discovered. We started a collaboration with Dr. Silverman and Klein from Cleveland Clinic and it was just interesting...Abbott has had a long history of developing assays to detect retroviruses such as HIV and HTLV. And so, the notion that there was a new retrovirus that was within the human population - to us had implications that we ought to be taking a serious look at it. So, we initiated studies several years ago and, as Dr. Sharma mentioned, we also collaborated with Francois Villinger and his colleagues at Emory University and Yerkes Primate Center. And one of the key things to generate data on how the host would respond to this virus, because we really didn't have humans which we could analyze easily. And by being able to follow the immune response in these non-human primates, we have an opportunity to create assays that will allow us to be able to detect the virus in humans. And so the crux of what we're doing is: one, trying to determine where does this virus go? Where does it replicate, so we know where to look for it and how to detect it. And ultimately, we're going to need large epidemiologic studies which are going to require the appropriate assays that are reliable and sensitive to be able to detect the virus. And so, that's kind of the direction we're trying to work in, to develop tools that will enable us and others as well - as we are embarking on many collaborations related to this, to again try to find out what's the prevalence of the virus, is it in the American blood supply, these sorts of questions.

parvofighter

Thanks Kim!!!

Thanks so much for another great transcription Kim!:thumbsup:

I'm really intrigued by the primate studies... do they
a) Just infect them with XMRV; or
b) Infect them with XMRV, then add a secondary immune insult:

• Somehow damage the RNase-L antiviral pathway and/or NK cells etc?
  • Give a whack of vaccines with adjuvants?
  • Expose them to massive stress to get the cortisol stimulus happening?
  • Co-infect them with other known ME/CFS opportunistic infections (EBV, Parvo, HHV-6, etc)?
My sense is that it might take more than a "simple" infection with XMRV to get their knuckles dragging. How are they going to "activate" it? All humor aside, I wouldn't wish this disease on any creature. Definitely a mixed emotional bag when your own health is tied in with animal studies.:(

Kim, great news on the Abbott front too. I'm most impressed by the concerted effort that Abbott Diagnostics seem to be making re: XMRV. Weren't they the ones that sponsored the convening of the group of 75 experts @ the Cleveland Clinic after the Science paper? Abbott Laboratories: Market capitalization ~ $84 Billion. I like it.:Retro smile:

G

Gerwyn

Just some more bits - Summary by the Conference Chair John Mellors 2/16/2010 @ 00:29

From Dr. Prachi Sharma 02/19/2010 Friday Press Conference Part I (she spoke right after Dr. Goff)

From John Hackett Jr. Abbott Diagnostics 02/19/2010 Friday Press Conference Part I

where to look for it and how to detect it! Lymphoid and reproductive organs----the trials who have looked here have found it those who have not looked here have not Even these guys had trouble and they KNEW their subjects were infected sorry about typing I am trying mind faster than fingers FM doesnt help either!

K

_Kim_

where to look for it and how to detect it! Lymphoid and reproductive organs----the trials who have looked here have found it those who have not looked here have not Even these guys had trouble and they KNEW their subjects were infected sorry about typing I am trying mind faster than fingers FM doesnt help either!

Gerwyn, you nailed the most important message in that press release. In infected animals, they are finding reservoirs in the reproductive and lymphoid organs. Can we just bypass all of these tedious peripheral blood studies and go straight to the tissues where we are likely to find the virus? Why can't we test epithelial cells from the cervix collected via routine Pap smear?

Kati

Patient in training
Kim I believe there is a study already happening at the NCI on gynecological malignancies and XMRV.

K

_Kim_

Thanks so much for another great transcription Kim!:thumbsup:

I'm really intrigued by the primate studies... do they
a) Just infect them with XMRV; or
b) Infect them with XMRV, then add a secondary immune insult:

• Somehow damage the RNase-L antiviral pathway and/or NK cells etc?
  • Give a whack of vaccines with adjuvants?
  • Expose them to massive stress to get the cortisol stimulus happening?
  • Co-infect them with other known ME/CFS opportunistic infections (EBV, Parvo, HHV-6, etc)?

My sense is that it might take more than a "simple" infection with XMRV to get their knuckles dragging. How are they going to "activate" it? All humor aside, I wouldn't wish this disease on any creature. Definitely a mixed emotional bag when your own health is tied in with animal studies.:(

Parvo - you have great questions. Dr. Sharma might be willing to answer them. Here is her contact info:

Sharma, Prachi
Yerkes National Primate Research Center, Emory University
Research Resources
954 Gatewood Road
Atlanta, Georgia 30329
UNITED STATES
E-Mail: psharm9 @ emory.edu
Phone: 404-712-9329
Position: Veterinary Pathologist and Associate Research Professor
Areas of interest: SIV, tumors in mangabeys
Species of interest: Cercocebus (mangabey), Macaca mulatta (rhesus macaque), Macaca nemestrina (pigtail macaque)

Kim, great news on the Abbott front too. I'm most impressed by the concerted effort that Abbott Diagnostics seem to be making re: XMRV. Weren't they the ones that sponsored the convening of the group of 75 experts @ the Cleveland Clinic after the Science paper? Abbott Laboratories: Market capitalization ~ $84 Billion. I like it.:Retro smile:

Anyone know which other pharmas/biotechs (besides Hemispherx re: Ampligen) are working on XMRV diagnostics/therapeutics?
Abbott is also the sponsor for the UCSF Viral Diagnostics Discover Center (VDDC) at Mission Bay. Our member, hanchuchu, has been in touch with the director of the VDDC, Charles Chui - hopefully getting him to help in the diagnosis of the Chinese epidemic. The VDDC is using the Virochip (ala Joe DeRisi).

K

_Kim_

Kim I believe there is a study already happening at the NCI on gynecological malignancies and XMRV.

That's right Kati, but I"m talking about the feasibility of a screening test for XMRV. We know that the virus is in very low copy numbers in the peripheral blood. Why not use vaginal/cervical scrapings of epithelial cells to test. If that's the tissue reservoir, why are they using blood? It's one thing if we were talking about intestinal biopsies - that's pretty invasive, but a pap smear is simple and can be done by a GP.

natasa778

Gerwyn, you nailed the most important message in that press release. In infected animals, they are finding reservoirs in the reproductive and lymphoid organs. Can we just bypass all of these tedious peripheral blood studies and go straight to the tissues where we are likely to find the virus? Why can't we test epithelial cells from the cervix collected via routine Pap smear?

yes that and what I just posted under another thread would be a (relatively) simple stool test. I'll just copy my post but the reasoning being if XMRV is residing in epithelium and lymphoid tissue it would likely be found in the GI tract, shedding RNA in stool, and could explain why many suffer chronic GI problems.

My original post with link:

Thanks a lot Gerwyn. Btw have you seen this one http://www.jstor.org/pss/30112876

Not sure how many of you guys suffer chronic GI problems? which of course could be caused by other things, but this would be a relatively easy study to carry out for xmrv... It would certainly fit what we seen in autism to a "T" and would fit the theory of xmrv residing in epithelial (gut lining) and lymphatic tissue

Advocate

More from the San Francisco conference

Here's a MedPage reporter's view of the conference.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/CROI/18610

CROI: Secrets of Novel Retrovirus Unfolding

By Crystal Phend, Senior Staff Writer, MedPage Today
Published: February 21, 2010
Earn CME/CE credit
for reading medical news

SAN FRANCISCO - The mystery surrounding a retrovirus recently implicated in prostate cancer and possibly chronic fatigue syndrome is beginning to yield clues.

The virus, known as XMRV, has been confirmed to replicate primarily in reproductive organs and lymphoid tissue, according to a primate study reported at the Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections.

A second study found markers that could be the key to developing an assay for the large scale epidemiologic studies needed to determine how widely the virus has penetrated in the population, and what effect it has.

"We're at a very, very early stage working with this virus," said conference vice-chair John Coffin, PhD, of Tufts University in Boston.Action Points
Note that these studies were published as abstracts and presented at a conference. These data and conclusions should be considered to be preliminary until published in a peer-reviewed journal.
He likened it to the early days of HIV research, when scientists scrambled to make sense of the virus, but cautioned that has yet to be any clear evidence linking it to disease.

XMRV burst onto the scene four years ago when researchers doing a broad sweep for viruses in prostate cancer samples turned up evidence of a retrovirus that resembled the murine leukemia virus, earning it the abbreviation xenotropic murine leukemia-related virus (XMRV).

"The similarity [in genetic sequence] is so striking that although we don't know the details we have to assume it's coming from mice," Stephen Goff, PhD, of Columbia University in New York City, told MedPage Today.

The genetic sequence of all XMRV isolates tested across the country, and across diseases, show so little divergence that the virus must have only recently jumped to humans -- likely from a point source and with limited numbers of replication cycles during transmission, Goff said in a plenary lecture on XMRV at the conference.

This implies that a vaccine might be much easier to develop than for HIV, he explained at a press conference.

However, while this class of retroviruses appears to be characterized by lifelong infection that cannot be cleared by the immune system, there's no clear proof yet that XMRV causes illness or the diseases it's been linked to, he emphasized.

Even the links to prostate cancer and chronic fatigue syndrome are controversial, with centers reporting anywhere from 0% to 23% and 0% to 67% prevalence in tested cases, respectively, Goff noted.

To learn more about how the virus might interact with the human immune system, scientists at the Cleveland Clinic, Yerkes National Primate Research Center at Emory University, and Abbott Diagnostics collaborated on an animal model.

Prachi Sharma, PhD, of Emory, presented part of the results involving monkeys.

She reported that acutely infected monkeys tested positive for virus replicating in a number of tissues.

Chronic infection, though, appeared largely limited to CD4+ T cells in lymphoid organs -- spleen, lymph nodes, and GI tract -- as well as in reproductive organs, including prostate, testes, ovaries, vagina, and cervix.

Other experimental lab studies have shown the virus to be androgen and hormone responsive, which bears on the cell types in which it will be found, Goff said.

It was notable that the monkeys exhibited no visible symptoms or fever when infected, said John Hackett, Jr., PhD, of Abbott Diagnostics in Abbott Park, Ill.

He reported the group's efforts to develop assays to detect XMRV infections.

In the monkeys, antibodies to gag p30, env gp70 and env p15E were observed.

The researchers were also able to show, for the first time, the existence of antibodies to multiple XMRV proteins in humans.

However, they occured in only three of 2,851 human blood samples.

Detection in humans has proven challenging, but whether this reflects the virus' life cycle, a combination of viral properties and the length of time between infection and disease, or some other factor is unclear, Hackett said.

"Part of it is the ability to identify it to begin with," Hackett told MedPage Today. "You could argue we haven't been looking for it."

Sharma's study was supported by Abbott Diagnostics and a grant from the National Institutes of Health.

Hackett reported conflicts of interest with Abbott Diagnostics.

Goff reported support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute and the Department of Defense Prostate Program.

Primary source: Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections

Source reference:
Goff S "Mouse to Man? XMRV and Human Disease" CROI 2010; Abstract 132.

Additional source: Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections
Source reference:
Qui X, et al "XMRV: Examination of Viral Kinetics, Tissue Tropism, and Serological Markers of Infection" CROI 2010; Abstract 151.

Additional source: Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections
Source reference:
Sharma P, et al "Organ and Cell Lineage Dissemination of XMRV in Rhesus Macaques during Acute and Chronic Infection" CROI 2010; Abstract 150 LB.

VillageLife

Just wanted to add some things to this artical, it says that the monkeys didn't show any fever when injected with xmrv, does that mean that xmrv alone doesn't give you a flu-like illness and then develop CFS? So it does mean you carry xmrv, then you get eg normal flu then the virus is switched on.???

And also it says over 2,000 People were tested for the anti bodies, so Is that a small piece of information on the amount of people they've tested so far ? If so that's amazing they've tested that many people but annoying there not telling us what else they found out in those samples

FernRhizome

Wow, this is so fascinating....I am so fascinated that it mentions the GI tract being involved!!!!!

Chronic infection, though, appeared largely limited to CD4+ T cells in lymphoid organs -- spleen, lymph nodes, and GI tract -- as well as in reproductive organs, including prostate, testes, ovaries, vagina, and cervix.

Great news from the retrovirologists on a forum about scientific matters for adults. Something doesn't fit. What's with the childish emoticons? Are the grownups unable to use english to explain themselves? Criticism expected as we all make mistakes. A worse mistake is not realizing that and wondering why people dont take you seriously.

fds66

I have managed to find some abstracts from this conference by searching on XMRV in the abstract search on this site http://www.retroconference.org/AbstractSearch/Default.aspx?Conf=19

I will post them below

Paper # 132
Mouse to Man? XMRV and Human Disease
Stephen Goff
Howard Hughes Med Inst, Columbia Univ, Coll of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY, US
Background: A flurry of papers has recently appeared reporting the identification of a new human retrovirus dubbed xenotropic murine leukemia virus-like virus (XMRV). The virus was first recovered in prostate tissues of cancer patients with homozygous mutations in a familial prostate susceptibility locus, identified as encoding the antiviral RNase L protein. The virus is extremely similar to xenotropic viruses present in the mouse genome. However, the pathogenicity of the virus and its distribution in the human population are not yet known. Even more recently the virus has been reported to be associated with chronic fatigue (CF) syndrome.
Conclusions: Our current state of knowledge of the virus will be summarized.
Paper # 147LB
Cellular Determinants Required for Infection of XMRV, a Novel Retrovirus Associated with Human Familial Prostate Cancer
S Bhosle1, S Suppiah1, R Arnold1, Y Liang1, J Blackwell1, J Petros1,2, D Liotta1, E Hunter1, R Molinaro1, and Hinh Ly*1
1Emory Univ, Atlanta, GA, US and 2Atlanta VAMC, Decatur, GA, US
Background: The newly identified retrovirus, the xenotropic MuLV-related virus XMRV, has recently been shown to be strongly associated with familial prostate cancer in human. While that study showed evidence of XMRV infection exclusively in the prostatic stromal fibroblasts, a recent study found XMRV protein antigens mainly in malignant prostate epithelial cells.
Methods: To help understand the mechanisms behind XMRV infection, we show that prostatic fibroblast cells express Xpr1, a known receptor of XMRV, but its expression is absent in other cells of the prostate (ie, epithelial and stromal smooth muscle cells). We also show for the first time that certain amino acid residues located within the predicted extracellular loop (ECL3 and ECL4) sequences of Xpr1 are required for efficient XMRV entry.
Results: While we found strong evidence to support XMRV infection of prostatic fibroblasts via Xpr1, we learned that XMRV was indeed capable of infecting cells that did not necessarily express Xpr1, such as those of the prostatic epithelial and smooth muscle origins. Further studies suggest that the expression of Xpr1 and certain genotypes of the RNASEL gene, which could restrict XMRV infection, may play important roles in defining XMRV tropisms in certain cell types.
Conclusions: Collectively, our data reveal important cellular determinants required for XMRV infection of human prostate cells in vitro, which may provide important insights into the possible role of XMRV as an etiologic agent in human prostate cancer.
Paper # 148LB
Host Regulation of XMRV in Prostate Cancer
B Dong and Robert Silverman*
Cleveland Clin, OH, US
Background: XMRV is a human gammaretrovirus associated with prostate cancer and chronic fatigue syndrome. While it is unknown if XMRV is an etiological agent of these diseases, other gammaretroviruses cause cancer and neurological disease in animals. Virus-host interaction studies could provide insight on the pathogenic consequences of XMRV infections as well as a means for controlling infections. Here we investigated roles of IFN pathways and androgen on XMRV infections in prostate cancer cells.
Methods: DU145 cells were treated with varying doses of human IFN-beta before and after infection with XMRV. Viral protein levels were determined in Western blots and viral release was monitored by RT activity in conditioned media. Effects of RNase L were determined by decreasing expression with siRNA. Reporter plasmids were constructed containing wild type and glucocorticoid response element (GRE) mutant versions of the XMRV U3 region. Effects of dihydrotestosterone (DHT) on viral transcription were determined in prostate cancer cells containing (LNCaP) or lacking (DU145) androgen receptor. LNCaP or DU145 cells grown in hormone-depleted media were infected with XMRV and treated with DHT, or with anti-androgens, casodex, or flutamide, for 2 days. Virus replication was monitored by RT assays.
Results: IFN treatment inhibited XMRV expression in both acutely-infected and chronically-infected DU145 cells. Levels of XMRV Gag protein in the intact infected cells and RT activity in the conditioned media were down-regulated by IFN-beta. Cells in which siRNA was used to decrease RNase L levels were partially resistant to IFN-beta. Transcription from the XMRV U3 region was stimulated up to 2-fold by DHT, but only in cells containing a functional androgen receptor. Mutations in the GRE of XMRV impaired basal transcription and androgen responsiveness. Furthermore, DHT stimulated XMRV replication by 3-fold, whereas androgen inhibitors suppressed viral growth by 3-fold.
Conclusions: XMRV was discovered in men with a deficiency in the IFN pathway gene encoding RNase L. Our findings show that RNase L is required for a complete IFN antiviral response. We further show the presence of a functional androgen response element (ARE) in the U3 region of the XMRV LTR. XMRV integration into prostate cells could cause androgen-stimulation of pro-inflammatory genes and proto-oncogenes leading to cancer.
Paper # 150LB
Organ and Cell Lineage Dissemination of XMRV in Rhesus Macaques during Acute and Chronic Infection
Prachi Sharma*1, S Suppiah2, R Molinaro2, K Rogers1, J Das Gupta3, R Silverman3, J Hackett, Jr4, S Devare4, G Schochetman4, and F Villinger1,2
1Yerkes Natl Primate Res Ctr, Emory Univ, Atlanta, GA, US; 2Emory Univ Sch of Med, Atlanta, GA, US; 3Cleveland Clin, OH, US; and 4Abbott Diagnostics, Abbott Park, IL, US
Background: Infection with Xenotropic MuLV-related Retrovirus (XMRV), a g-retrovirus, has been identified in association with familial cases of prostate carcinoma and in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome, although an etiological link remains to be established. In light of these studies, the development of an animal model to study XMRV dissemination, tissue tropism and pathogenicity is essential for understanding its role and infection transmission.
Methods: We experimentally infected 5 healthy rhesus macaques with XMRV intravenously. At days 6 or 7 (acute infection), 2 macaques were euthanized, as were the others during chronic infection at days 146 and 289 post infection. Extensive tissue collections were done from various organs at necropsy to evaluate both the tissue and cell tropism at various times post infection using FISH to the entire genome and IHC via detection of XMRV gag using a cross reactive monoclonal antibodies to murine spleen focus-forming virus (SFFV).
Results: Both methods were concordant for the detection of XMRV in the various organs tested and showed a wide dissemination of replicating virus even when the plasma viral load was undetectable. Of interest was the finding that isolated lymphoid cells and primarily CD4+ T cells were found positive in most lymphoid organs including spleen, lymph nodes, and gastrointestinal tract, while in lung, XMRV+ cells exhibited a macrophage morphology. The frequency of infected cells appeared to decrease in spleen while increasing in the gastrointestinal tract from acute to chronic infection. XMRV infection was however not restricted to bone marrow derived cells, but showed distinct target specificities in various organs. Using IHC, foci of infected epithelial cells were detected in prostate, seminal vesicles and epididymis while XMRV+ cells in the testes were interstitial. In the lone female animal, XMRV+ epithelial and fibroblast like cells were detected in the vagina and cervix suggesting that the virus may be transmitted sexually. While XMRV dissemination was complete at day 6 post infection, the prostate was positive only during the acute infection in these healthy animals, while other reproductive organs were similarly positive during the chronic phase.
Conclusions: We believe to have established a validated animal model of human XMRV infection, suitable to test its long-term chronic effect, pathogenesis, and immunity and to validate future vaccines. The organ-specific target-cell distribution is intriguing and remains to be studied in more detail.
Paper # 151
XMRV: Examination of Viral Kinetics, Tissue Tropism, and Serological Markers of Infection
X Qiu1, P Swanson1, K-C Luk1, J Das Gupta2, N Onlamoon3, R Silverman2, F Villinger3, S Devare1, G Schochetman1, and John Hackett, Jr*1
1Abbott Diagnostics, Abbott Park, IL, US; 2Cleveland Clin, OH, US; and 3Yerkes Natl Primate Res Ctr, Emory Univ, Atlanta, GA, US
Background: Xenotropic Murine Leukemia Virus-related Retrovirus (XMRV) is a human retrovirus recently discovered in familial prostate cancer tissue using DNA array based Virochip technology. Understanding viral replication kinetics, tissue tropism, and the host immune response is fundamental to establish the etiology of XMRV infection in human disease. Development of serologic assays to detect XMRV-specific antibodies would facilitate epidemiologic studies.
Methods: Five rhesus macaques were inoculated intravenously with XMRV. Blood was collected throughout the course of infection, and tissue from multiple organs was harvested at necropsy. Two macaques were necropsied at day 6 or 7 and one at day 144 post infection. The remaining 2 animals were re-inoculated with XMRV on day 158 and necropsied on day 291. XMRV-specific immunoreactivity was monitored by Western blot using viral lysate. Recombinant env gp70, p15E and gag p30 were utilized to develop serologic assays on the high-throughput automated ARCHITECT instrument system (Abbott Diagnostics).
Results: XMRV inoculation resulted in low transient plasma viremia, although proviral DNA persisted in circulating peripheral blood mononuclear cells for several weeks. Of interest, the earliest leukocyte targets were CD4+ T cells and NK cells followed by CD8+ enriched T and CD20+ enriched B cells (50% positive); CD14+ monocytes were negative. Animals sacrificed at the acute stage showed evidence of viral replication in spleen, lung, lymph nodes and liver. In contrast, sacrifice of 2 animals at 19 weeks post XMRV re-inoculation showed greater dissemination of XMRV DNA and RNA in various organs including the GI and urinary tract as well as in vaginal tissue of the one female. By Western blot analysis, all 3 chronically infected macaques developed antibody responses to env and gag proteins.The serologic assays demonstrated 100% sensitivity by detecting all Western blot positive serial bleeds from the XMRV-infected macaques. Preliminary results showed evidence of detectable reactivity to all 3 antigens in a low proportion (~0.1%) of US blood donors.
Conclusions: These data suggest that lymphocytes are a primary target for replication persistence (low grade replication) of XMRV in the absence of detectable plasma viremia. This study identified specific serological markers useful for detection of antibodies induced by XMRV infection. The prototype antibody assays will facilitate large-scale epidemiological studies.

I will let someone else highlight the important points. I am suffering today so my brain is not up to it.

Countrygirl

Jackofit;48915]Great news from the retrovirologists on a forum about scientific matters for adults.

Hello Jackofit. Welcome to the PRF. This is an excellent place for information, especially for those us without a scientific background as we learn so much. It has a wonderful community spirit and those of us who are mostly housebound/ bedbound appreciate being able to communicate with others in the same situation

Something doesn't fit. What's with the childish emoticons?

Well, uummm...we enjoy them?. :D There is little to smile about when you spend every day, year in, year out, decade after decade, feeling horribly ill with virtually no medical, social or financial support. So anything that can raise our spirits is welcome. :Retro smile::Retro smile::Retro smile::Retro smile:

Are the grown ups unable to use english to explain themselves?

Often not ....brain fog...asphasia, dyslexia, mental wipeout. You can say a lot with a ;)

Criticism expected as we all make mistakes.

No criticism needed. You don't like :Retro smile: many of us do.:D I'm sure we can live in harmony. :victory:

A worse mistake is not realising that and wondering why people dont take you seriously.

The forums are for the benefit of this community, but everyone is welcome to read the many excellent posts.

I'm sorry the smilies aren't to your taste, and I hope that it won't affect your enjoyment of these forums.

You are most welcome and we look forward to reading your posts, even without the addition of smilies.

Best wishes,

C.G.

cfs since 1998

Thanks fds66!

This one stuck out at me:
"showed a wide dissemination of replicating virus even when the plasma viral load was undetectable."