• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Brain Fog Bad but Energy Better?

Daffodil

hi all. has anyone experienced increase in energy as a result of treatment, but had their brain fog remain very bad or even get worse?

that is what has been happening to me and its upsetting because i often hear about brain symptoms improving first.

thanks
dafff

L'engle

moogle
I've had treatments that gave me a bit more physical stamina but not improvement in cognitive stamina, and which gave me severe insomnia (LDN, DHEA). Overall I didn't keep taking them because the minor improvent in just physical stamina wasn't worth the extreme sleep loss, and my ability to do work/study/communicate wasn't increased at all.

SOC

I'm there now. My energy is much improved, but my cognitive function is still quite poor. I agree it's upsetting. My doc is suggesting a 4-day rotation diet to see if it helps my persistent cognitive problems. I'm not convinced, but I'm willing to give it a try since I want more of my cognitive function back.

L'engle

moogle
I'm curious when people say brain fog do they mean the level of cloudedness in the brain or also the cognitive stamina, which I see as how long my brain can function at a normal level before it descends back into brain fog. I tend to measure it in terms of how many useful hours (or minutes) I can get out of my brain before it wheezes to a halt, but others might use the term differently? I suspect that even during the times I am using my brain it is still clouded at some level and below normal functioning, just I can't see it because I have heavy brain fog the rest of the time.

This is just to clarify what people mean, not to derail from daff's original question! Please answer her question as a major priority and just add a note on for mine if you want to clarify what you mean by cognitive problems :)

SOC

I'm curious when people say brain fog do they mean the level of cloudedness in the brain or also the cognitive stamina, which I see as how long my brain can function at a normal level before it descends back into brain fog. I tend to measure it in terms of how many useful hours (or minutes) I can get out of my brain before it wheezes to a halt, but others might use the term differently? I suspect that even during the times I am using my brain it is still clouded at some level and below normal functioning, just I can't see it because I have heavy brain fog the rest of the time.
I wouldn't say I have fog, exactly, anymore. There was a time when I had a lot of cloudedness, but now my cogntive dysfunction is more in the stamina, memory, focus, and executive functioning areas. I no longer have my previous level of function at any time, even when I'm at my best otherwise. I haven't had neuropsych testing yet to see exactly where and how bad it is, but I suspect my results would be quite poor. :(

Daffodil

hi all. thanks for the responses. i just have severe fog, feeling of fullness and swelling in the head and neck....like a head full of liquid or something. it never lets up.

i have had this for most of my illness at either severe or intolerably severe levels.

i remember reading that when ampligen works, the brain clears first. also, years, ago, i used to read comments from various doctors say that they knew a treatment is going to work, if a patients fog starts clearing first. ...so this is very frustrating.

L'engle

moogle
Seems to me like it would be the hardest symptom set to improve since the treatment would have to get right into your brain. Sorry it is so hard, daff. I hope that fog does lift somewhat soon!

Charles555nc

I found that niacinamide and molybdenum helped detox the lyme/fungus neuro toxins, respectively, and have helped my energy levels/brain fog. I also take melatonin 1mg- 1.5mg every 2 or 3 days for over all immune function.

Crux

I agree with the gut/brain connection, re. brain fog. I also have sinus inflammation with gut inflammation. So, it's a gut/brain/sinus thing going on.

I believe there's infection causing it. With us, it can recur, even with treatment.

Charles555nc

Just started doing 1200 mg NAC and 9 grams of sodium ascorbate vitamin C, both of that, twice a day. Having a bunch of gas and a headachey feeling, but more energy and better thinking. Glutathione producing supplements have always made me feel much worse, (lipoic acid, l-glutathione, and NAC) with no improvement afterwards, then I did an internet search about it and found a person suggesting that those products need to be taken with higher dose vitamin C. A long time ago, I realized there was no instant cure, so Ive been fighting for 5% here, 5% there...hoping one day for those to add up to the big 100%.
Molybdenum 5%, methylation supplements 5%, zinc 5%, vitamin D 5%, niaicinamide 5%, famvir 5%, Isentress 5%, iodine 5%, sodium ascorbate vitamin C 5%, NAC 5%, short term hydrocortisone (for adrenals) 5%, melatonin 5%, low dose naltrexone 5%, clindamyacin and tindamax 5%, L-glutamine, l-lysine, l-proline, L-glycine 5%...

Daffodil

thanks guys. i am thinking of maybe trying IV Vitamin C for the brain fog..i will bring it up again with my doc when i speak to him next.

charles..im really glad all those supplements are helping!