• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is feeling overwhelmingly hot ever a symptom of NMH?

I know that I feel faint when I feel hot, but I was wondering if maybe if it goes the other way too, that I am feeling hot because I feel faint.

Does anyone know? It never comes up in the list of symptoms of NMH, but that doesn't mean for some people it isn't.

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
I know that I feel faint when I feel hot, but I was wondering if maybe if it goes the other way too, that I am feeling hot because I feel faint.

Does anyone know? It never comes up in the list of symptoms of NMH, but that doesn't mean for some people it isn't.
I don't think I'd say that I ever feel "hot" as part of my NMH symptoms. As you said, it's usually the other way around, e.g., when I get overheated (either from too much moving around/exertion or from the temperature) then that causes NMH symptoms for me.

I do sometimes get a sort of "cold sweat" as one of my presyncope (pre-fainting) symptoms. But that's not the same as feeling hot, is it?

For what it's worth, I've never actually fainted other than on the tilt table test. I just get all the presyncope symptoms.

I hope this is helpful. As DawnMarie said, there are ME/SEID patients who have temperature regulation problems. It could be due to factors other than NMH or other forms of orthostatic intolerance.

alex3619

Overwhelming heat can be neurological, but not necessarily orthostatic intolerance. That is my current opinion with my own heat ... its a side effect of polyneuropathy.

There is a difference though between feeling hot and being hot. I can be quite cold and feel like someone hit me with a flamethrower.

The only time I get very hot is when I'm on antibiotics for late-stage Lyme. Then I feel very feverish, and my temperature goes from my normal (low) temperature to a temperature which is high for me but normal for healthy people. So it does seem to be a messed up version of a fever for me.