• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

No Response to T3 with MTHFR Mutations - Please Explain?

MAF14

I have looked all over this site, Dr Lynch's and Google but I still can't find an explanation as to why I can take 100mcg of T3 (or more) and have no response to it.

As seen in my signature my mutations are as follows:

+/+ VDR Taq, MAO-A R297R
+/- MTHFR C677T, MTHFR 03 P39P, MTHFR A1298C, COMT V158M, COMT H62H, MTRR A66G, MTRR A664A, BHMT-02, BHMT-08

I have been using Freddd's Dead Lock Quartet supplements while feeling better but still cannot figure this out. I feel like I'm missing something obvious but if someone could shed some light on the matter I would

MAF14

Yes, I was taking Cynomel for years but now am taking US prescription T3. Been on T3 only for years now so RT3 is nil and 100mcg should illicit some type of response...

I saw some theory of Homocysteine being too high could block T3 receptors but haven't seen much about that aside from a single post.

Lynn_M

Hip,
Dr. Lynch didn't mention a connection between MTHFR and triiodothyronine, but there is a connection between MTHFR and thyroxine. In the early part of the video I referenced above, he showed MTHFR needs FAD (active coenzyme form of riboflavin) to function. At 36:24 of the video, he discusses http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3809170, which says that thyroxine regulates the conversion of riboflavin to riboflavin mononucleotide and flavin adenine dinucleotide (FAD).

Maybe this is MAF14's problem. Since she's on T3 only, maybe she doesn't have the thyroxine necessary to convert riboflavin to FAD, and without FAD, her MTHFR doesn't function.

A test called EGRA (erythrocyte glutathione reductase assay) is the gold standard to tell if someone is making enough FAD.

Hip

@Lynn_M
People often believe that the answer to their issues may be found in their SNPs, and this forum is full of speculative ideas about how SNPs might behind all sorts of symptoms; however, much of this speculation does not seem to pan out to a solution, so I often question the validity or utility of this SNP approach. It's certainly interesting to know your own SNPs though.

MAF14

Hip,
Dr. Lynch didn't mention a connection between MTHFR and triiodothyronine, but there is a connection between MTHFR and thyroxine. In the early part of the video I referenced above, he showed MTHFR needs FAD (active coenzyme form of riboflavin) to function. At 36:24 of the video, he discusses http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3809170, which says that thyroxine regulates the conversion of riboflavin to riboflavin mononucleotide and flavin adenine dinucleotide (FAD).

Maybe this is MAF14's problem. Since she's on T3 only, maybe she doesn't have the thyroxine necessary to convert riboflavin to FAD, and without FAD, her MTHFR doesn't function.

A test called EGRA (erythrocyte glutathione reductase assay) is the gold standard to tell if someone is making enough FAD.

He*

Haha, thank you for the link, though.

Gondwanaland

@MAF14 I found that my SSRI was blocking the effectiveness of my T3 replacement. It turned out I felt much better without the SSRI while the T3 became effective.

MAF14

@MAF14 I found that my SSRI was blocking the effectiveness of my T3 replacement. It turned out I felt much better without the SSRI while the T3 became effective.

Interesting... I take Prozac but I was taking these doses of T3 long before I ever started the Prozac.

xks201

Okay first of all at least 50% of generic T3 brands are worthless. This opinion comes from a doctor I know as well. Try brand cytomel. Second, if the body already has enough thyroid or reverse t3 build up from T4 production or synthetic t4 then the receptors will downregulate or be blocked and you can take the whole bottle and possibly still not notice a result. Or your cortisol is low and therefore the creation of the thyroid receptor is little. There was a study showing this on pubmed I'd have to find. Or low iodine/selenium which can impede creation of the receptor. As you can see a lot can go wrong when it comes to thyroid metabolism.

MAF14

Okay first of all at least 50% of generic T3 brands are worthless. This opinion comes from a doctor I know as well. Try brand cytomel. Second, if the body already has enough thyroid or reverse t3 build up from T4 production or synthetic t4 then the receptors will downregulate or be blocked and you can take the whole bottle and possibly still not notice a result. Or your cortisol is low and therefore the creation of the thyroid receptor is little. There was a study showing this on pubmed I'd have to find. Or low iodine/selenium which can impede creation of the receptor. As you can see a lot can go wrong when it comes to thyroid metabolism.

I also have used "Cynomel" which others have reported work well for them. Didn't notice any difference.

I have been on T3 only for years. Blood work has shown I have no T4 or RT3.

Cortisol was low but since has been corrected. Currently taking Iodine/Selenium daily... I get a script at the end of the month, I'll try actual Cytomel though.

Edit: I have just started taking selenium and iodine again recently... Any recommendation on dose?

And tahkn you for your input!

xks201

Cynomel is t3 from Mexico. It is unreliable according to my doctor and myself. I noticed absolutely nothing from It. I said try cytomel, not cynomel. If the problem isn't corrected than most likely your cortisol, gh, and or sex hormones are Off. Or you lack selenium and iodine.

MAF14

Cynomel is t3 from Mexico. It is unreliable according to my doctor and myself. I noticed absolutely nothing from It. I said try cytomel, not cynomel. If the problem isn't corrected than most likely your cortisol, gh, and or sex hormones are Off. Or you lack selenium and iodine.

I was just stating I tried Cynomel because others have reported good results with it... I mentioned above I get a new script of T3 at the end of the month, I'll request Cytomel at that time. If that doesn't do anything I'll look into gh/sex hormones again.

Thank you!

UM MAN

Taking that much T3 just about guarantees that your SHBG will be high and your FT and E2 will be
very low. That is a well known consequence of T3 use. You are simulating Graves Disease with taking that much t3 medication. Is a real MD giving you 100mcg of T3 a day? What is the reason that all T4 medication is being avoided?

This is my favorite article on T3 and Reverse T3,
http://tiredthyroid.com/rt3.html

By the way, I played with T3 only, it was not a good idea, for me.

Gondwanaland

@MAF14 you sound like you need to replace the whole pool of T hormones and perhaps you would benefit from a thyroid glandular. I am very happy with my compounded T4/T3 right now.

xks201

Taking that much T3 just about guarantees that your SHBG will be high and your FT and E2 will be
very low. That is a well known consequence of T3 use. You are simulating Graves Disease with taking that much t3 medication. Is a real MD giving you 100mcg of T3 a day? What is the reason that all T4 medication is being avoided?

This is my favorite article on T3 and Reverse T3,
http://tiredthyroid.com/rt3.html

By the way, I played with T3 only, it was not a good idea, for me.
Please cite a study showing high dose t3 triggers grave disease. SHBG does not go high in everyone. A lot of people are thyroid resistant and need a lot of t3. When you factor in genetics there is no one sized fits all approach to hormone therapy. I know some people on 300mcg t3 that are very thyroid resistant. Biological individuality is something left out of most Internet talk.