• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Some bits of knowledge and strength sublimated from chronic illness

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Hey people. I was chatting with another CFS-like-chronically-ill friend today and was able to condense some of my conclusions after about 5 years of being ill with a mysterious autoimmune/hormonal/digestive illness. Thought about sharing it with this community which I like and respect. Its all quite ranty but thats how I feel lol

- So how do I put this in a non-agressive way... Hmm.... Society is a farce, a bad joke, and the medical system is just one facet we have been forced to experience in depth. Its fakery, I mean. Most people dont, thats why they think its wonderful and is there for them if they fall sick. Err, no, a lot of doctors dont actually care about your suffering and you wont find them reading current abstracts between consults lol, thats a veritable fact. Little scientific curiosity, zero openmindness, zero empathy. Doctors are generally traumatic and almost invariably useless, rarely they manage to make you sicker. Is this real life? Yeah. A few rare doctors do useful studies and actually can care about you and look for the deeper physical cause of your problems, I dont want to forget saying that, but I have never encountered one of these. I know some of you have had.

-Once you are sick, you will realise how cowardly people are intelectually speaking, and respect for close ones and relatives will start to drop if they, as generally happens, make team with doctors and judgemental ignorant people to reinforce the consensus reality that you have an imaginary "somatic" illness. After all, he is the one that is crazy, why step out of line and support your brother or friend which you see suffering? "I believe you, you are sick, its painfully obvious, I dont care about what other people say. I dont think you are weak or pathetic. I know life is especially hard for you" It would only take that... But that would mean he has "duped" you into thinking he is actually ill. Doctors know better, dont believe the hypochondriac.

-This delusion normally also affects sick people themselves, the peer pressure is enormous. Me myself, I go into cycles of denial and overexert myself with cycling or weightlifting only to end up sleeping worse and being more fatigued in the end. People are just scared to face the truth of being ill and that the System lies and is defective. They like to say everyone has problems. What a load of shit. Either you are healthy or you are not. Thats why we as a species invented the terms "sick" and "healthy" to make a needed conceptual distance between those that say are housebound and those that go to... say music festivals. So clearly not everyone has these kind of "problems".

-This is the strength part. Even while most people have betrayed me in my eyes, I know they didnt mean harm and are under mass hypnosis. Most of them genuinely want to help, but wont acknowledge that the system is corrupt and doctors routinely misdiagnose and mis-treat, while mass media and "education" spreads disinformation about health. Despite everything something has changed. I have changed. I feel mature and sure of my impressions. Still physically ill but stronger mentally than ever. I feel liberated to know I am not deluded, the deluded are most of the people. If I have to die or if my life is wasted diving in a semi-comatose fog because of a healable illness I know the blame is not on me. I am in peace and know I have always done my best.

Last edited:

SilverbladeTE

To an extent agree, but I guess I'm more lucky in having friends and family who aren't dumbasses and are far more compassionate :)

Individuals tend to wards good, groups tend towards selfish, blind insanity, the rule of the "conventional wisdom and don't rock the boat" , and indeed, rule of the psychopath.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
To an extent agree, but I guess I'm more lucky in having friends and family who aren't dumbasses and are far more compassionate :)

Individuals tend to wards good, groups tend towards selfish, blind insanity, the rule of the "conventional wisdom and don't rock the boat" , and indeed, rule of the psychopath.

Yep, there are some facts shared by all, but is clear the individual experience totally shapes our perception of reality. If I was someone else and born somewhere else I wouldnt see things this way. I am aware some people have blissful lifes and think everything is OK and although on a larger scale that is false IMO it is true on THEIR LIFES, so actually something can be false and true at the same time.