• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

social services in the uk.

Does anybody have recent experience of social services /care direct in the uk? I live alone, only family believes its psychological.I am really struggling.now tipped over or tipping over into very severe me.I am now at point or getting to it where will have no choice but to ask them for help.but I am wary/scared.asked for help couple of years ago, refused.one of the reasons being they felt I needed encouragement not help.
(Am much worse now) and there has been mmuch about re-enablement from social services etc
also had home helps , a long time ago, and my experience wasn't good.
Have difficulty writing so may not be able to write again for a while.but does anybody have or had recent experience of social services/care direct etc.
thanks.

ukxmrv

I had a social care assessment and the social worker was very nice and understanding. He knew of a lot of resources in my area and organised what he could for me. Sadly because I have a partner there wasn't much in the way of actual help or care available.

If I was in your position I'd contact social services and ask for a re-assessment. I found the phone number on the internet and did this myself. My GP was useless.

Good luck.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Hi @Alison2

I'm not from the UK so cannot offer anything constructive in terms of your request for help.
I did want to say that it's good that you reached out and hopefully someone will have some specific experience that will be of use to you.
It might help, if you're comfortable to share your location (general area of the UK) where you are as help is often location specific.

I'm sorry that you are experiencing this illness so severely and in such isolation. There is still hope that your family may come around to understanding the reality of your illness. I hope so.

Take care,
SD

Countrygirl

Alison, I think it depends on your locality and the individual social worker's experience with ME. I asked for help two years ago, and it was a disaster. The social worker told me if I had ME that I must have been a heavy drinker! His understanding of ME was worse than non-existent and he was not prepared to listen. It does sound as if you will have to call for their help, and before you do, I would suggest that you prepare an educational pack on ME for the social worker. I am sure people here will be abe to direct you to some leaflets and books for you to give them. Maybe even loan them a copy of Voices from the Shadows. Once they understand, I am sure they will do their best.

I hope all goes well.

Can you say which region you are in?

charles shepherd

Alison

I'm very sorry to hear about all the problems you are facing with social care

We have a social work expert - Cathy Stillman Lowe - who works with us at the MEA

Cathy has written a very helpful leaflet on how to get the best from social services if you have ME/CFS

Cathy has just fully updated this information and the newly revised leaflet should be available next week if you want a copy.

Dr Charles Shepherd
Hon Medical Adviser, MEA

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
@Alison2

I'm hoping that you've found some information that might help you find the resources you need.
If you're really struggling what you need most is rest.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Hi @Alison2

You mentioned earlier in your posts that your family members think ME is psychological.
I have written two documents (so far) toward educating others as to what ME is.
Given how severely ill you are and how much difference family and friends can be in assisting I am providing links to the documents hoping it might help you with getting help from those around you.
Links: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/a-document-collection-of-various-me-videos.39007/

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...use-to-help-pwme-get-accurate-info-out.38886/

SD

Hi @Alison2

You mentioned earlier in your posts that your family members think ME is psychological.
I have written two documents (so far) toward educating others as to what ME is.
Given how severely ill you are and how much difference family and friends can be in assisting I am providing links to the documents hoping it might help you with getting help from those around you.
Links: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/a-document-collection-of-various-me-videos.39007/

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...use-to-help-pwme-get-accurate-info-out.38886/

SD
Hi @Snowdrop having difficulty writing (and reading) just now , am going to have look later, when can.
Thank you for letting me know about this.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
I understand.
No need for you to do much but browse the topics maybe (later).
The info is really for those who don't know much or understand ME.
Take care,
SD
(no response necessary)

Seanko

Does anybody have recent experience of social services /care direct in the uk?

Your local authority should have a care line. My experiences of organising care for my mother in Swindon are as follows:

1 Phone care line, asked about needs
2 Appointment with occupational therapist (OT) is arranged. An OT is like a cross between a nurse & a social worker
3 OT visits you to establish needs & eligibility
4 OT makes arrangements for needs

Obviously, procedures & practices will vary around the country

As example here is the website for the Swindon care line

Swindon Careline

Good luck