• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My questions on B12, Glutathione, lyme, ibs etc

Another thread on our beloved "Glutathione" !

Did anyone check their methylation status or b12 levels (with the right tests) whilst taking Glutathione and have changed levels (either lower or higher) on their test results?

Wouldn't checking B12 (in whatever way we deem precise) levels whilst taking Glutathione put the theory of Glutathione flushing B12 out of the body to an end?

Lastly, how have your experiences been as a person with IBS, Lyme, Parkinsons, etc with Glutathione? Is there anyone else here STILL taking it?

Last edited:

PeterPositive

Glutathione helps with my GI inflammation. Technically it's not inflammation because Doctor's Data tests report all inflammatory markers in range. It's irritation, and quite a lot of it, with chronic constipation, and lots of abdominal discomfort.

I take Jarrow's GSH, 3x 500mg/day. If I stop it for more than 6-7 days the irritation gradually worsens.

Personally I haven't found that GSH interferes with B12 or methylation supplements.

Did anyone check their methylation status or b12 levels (with the right tests) whilst taking Glutathione and have changed levels (either lower or higher) on their test results?
I have tested after stopping all supplements for 1 week and the result came back with low GSH and SAM (below range), high SAH (above range) and bad SAM/SAH ratio.

Next time I will test without stopping the supplements, to see if the current regimen has improved the situation. My symptoms suggest that there have been some improvements.

cheers

Glutathione helps with my GI inflammation. Technically it's not inflammation because Doctor's Data tests report all inflammatory markers in range. It's irritation, and quite a lot of it, with chronic constipation, and lots of abdominal discomfort.

I take Jarrow's GSH, 3x 500mg/day. If I stop it for more than 6-7 days the irritation gradually worsens.

Personally I haven't found that GSH interferes with B12 or methylation supplements.

I have tested after stopping all supplements for 1 week and the result came back with low GSH and SAM (below range), high SAH (above range) and bad SAM/SAH ratio.

Next time I will test without stopping the supplements, to see if the current regimen has improved the situation. My symptoms suggest that there have been some improvements.

cheers

Thank you so much for a very informative reply! I hope others will share in a similar fashion.

Wow, Jarrow's GSH, huh? Not everyone has the same results, just goes to show one size doesn't fit all. I will definitely try the Jarrow's GSH for my own digestive issues.

How long have you been on the Glutathione? Do you think it is something you will be taking long-term? Have you been able to get to the root cause of the inflammation?

Did you do a full methylation panel or some other tests? I wish everyone could have the means to do these tests more frequently to see how they are reacting to everything including Glutathione. I'd really like to experiment with GSH and see how that affects my B12 and GSH levels both before and after.

In your opinion, what is the best test to determine one's B12 levels most precisely?

I'm really interested in your test results! Please do share them and tag me when you do get them done :)

Best wishes, lots of hugs and much thanks!

Last edited:

PeterPositive

Thank you so much for a very informative reply! I hope others will share in a similar fashion.

Wow, Jarrow's GSH, huh? Not everyone has the same results, just goes to show one size doesn't fit all. I will definitely try the Jarrow's GSH for my own digestive issues.
I've also tried the more expensive S-Acetyl-Glutathione but it doesn't seem to be doing very much for me. SAG daily dose is 3x100mg. I've tried up to 9x 100mg but didn't see any major differences.

How long have you been on the Glutathione? Do you think it is something you will be taking long-term? Have you been able to get to the root cause of the inflammation?
It's almost 1 year. I've started back in May 2014.
And no, I've not been able to get to the root cause. My first comprehensive stool test returned positive for Blastocystis Hominis and very low secretory IgA.

I've retested recently and no there's no more Blastocystis and IgA are now way up high, showing that at least my gut immunity is now active. Probably thanks to a lot of zinc, Glutamine, vit E etc...

I still need to address SIBO.

Did you do a full methylation panel or some other tests?
Yes, in order to see if the MTHFR and related snps (see signature) were actually causing problems.

I wish everyone could have the means to do these tests more frequently to see how they are reacting to everything including Glutathione. I'd really like to experiment with GSH and see how that affects my B12 and GSH levels both before and after.
Yeah, I hear you. Pretty expensive. Once a year is enough for me.

In your opinion, what is the best test to determine one's B12 levels most precisely?
I wish I knew. Apparently I need quite a lot since my panel showed a relatively ok amount of folate but not enough B12 to make the whole system run. Of course it may not just be about B12 alone, other co-factors could play a role.

I'm really interested in your test results! Please do share them and tag me when you do get them done :)
Ok will do. I have posted some of them in the past, I think you should be able to find them using the search function.

cheers

I've also tried the more expensive S-Acetyl-Glutathione but it doesn't seem to be doing very much for me. SAG daily dose is 3x100mg. I've tried up to 9x 100mg but didn't see any major differences.

It's almost 1 year. I've started back in May 2014.
And no, I've not been able to get to the root cause. My first comprehensive stool test returned positive for Blastocystis Hominis and very low secretory IgA.

I've retested recently and no there's no more Blastocystis and IgA are now way up high, showing that at least my gut immunity is now active. Probably thanks to a lot of zinc, Glutamine, vit E etc...

I still need to address SIBO.

Yes, in order to see if the MTHFR and related snps (see signature) were actually causing problems.

Yeah, I hear you. Pretty expensive. Once a year is enough for me.

I wish I knew. Apparently I need quite a lot since my panel showed a relatively ok amount of folate but not enough B12 to make the whole system run. Of course it may not just be about B12 alone, other co-factors could play a role.

Ok will do. I have posted some of them in the past, I think you should be able to find them using the search function.

cheers

Thanks!

Have you experienced any low blood pressure issues with the Glutathione?

I hear prebiotics help in Sibo and not so much probiotics. Heard that in the Gut summit this year. It also depends which bacteria is causing the problem so some probiotics may aggravate the problem whilst others won't.

Wish you the best.