• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Are all nuts high in lectins & phytic acid? other foods?

ebethc

Hi
I'm just learning about lectins and phytic acid; supposedly, these both inflame the gut. I'm having hard time finding a chart or list that ranks the worst offenders. In regard to high lectins & phytic acid...

1. are ALL grains bad?
2. are ALL legumes bad?
3. are ALL nuts & seeds bad?

thanks

Mij

It seems that they are. I soak all my nuts and seeds with salt for 8hrs. This removes the bad stuff. I let them dry before I eat them. They taste sooo much better too. I also soak my legumes rice overnight.

ebethc

It seems that they are. I soak all my nuts and seeds with salt for 8hrs. This removes the bad stuff. I let them dry before I eat them. They taste sooo much better too. I also soak my legumes rice overnight.

how does that remove lectins & phytic acid? how much salt do you add?

Gondwanaland

So, nutmilks would be safe since the nuts are soaked before they're used to make nutmilk?
I drunk a lot of almond milk until it stopped being safe :rolleyes:
Same thing for ground flax seeds. One day it started affecting me just like gluten.
Be sure to rotate everything your take.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I definitely need to read up on this since nuts mainly and some seeds are a mainstay with me right now trying to keep glucose levels in good shaped. It's working great.

Kathevans

Indeed! I conscientiously soaked my nuts with sea salt overnight and roasted them for days. They were a mainstay of my diet. Over the period of a couple of years my pain issues worsened and this winter I developed chronic diarrhea. It took a while and the insight of an alert alternative doc to point toward my diet, which was disturbingly high in oxalates--beans, gluten-free oatmeal, cinnamon, Swiss chard, spinach, sweet potatoes and dark chocolate.

Yes, my gut was certainly compromised--from antibiotics to treat SIBO two years ago (and even from prior to that), so I may have been more vulnerable than some. Currently my body is still working overtime to get rid of these toxins.

Btw, pumpkin and sunflower seeds are ok, but watch out for sesame!