• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High Glutamate

kel88

Hi,

Question, should all disease be affected by the same issue, high Glutamate?

While i become more and more sick i have got RLS ( low dopamin , high Glutamate) , it looks like im AHDH at the moment ( High Glutamate low Dopamin), and my symptoms look more and more on parkinson ( High Glutamate low Dopamin), and dementie ( high glutamate and maybe low Dopamin?) ..

I read a good articel about ADHD and there they say that ADHD meidicine have something that stopped glutamata and become a very good treatment.

http://www.corepsych.com/2010/11/adhd-and-glutamate-neurotransmitters/

Maybe its also a good supplement for us? And that combinated with maybe some B3/NADH for boosting dopamin ?

Because of methylation problems you cant make good dopamin right? Would that be the issue that glutamate raise?

I react good to taurine ( only ive got a CBS homozygous problem). Would that be because that lowers glutamate and higer GABA?

I find a good post also at phoenix rishing about Glutamate/glutamine and the role
Of B3.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/how-to-lower-glutamate-pharmacologics.23648/

NADH/ B3 plays also a role in alzheimer huntington and parkinson...

And we have all low glutamine but high glutamate its al because of the convertion that doesnt work well?

Is the problem all bad methylation? Because bad methylation affect dopamin support( neurotransmitter support ).

What do you guys think?

In our country we also have a site of ME/CFS. And there you can read also that much ME patients also have ADHD or ADD. ( because of low dopamin and high glutamate).

So there has to be a connection!

adreno

PR activist
Yes, I think that PWMEs generally have high glutamate levels. Some things that might help is NAC, lithium, theanine and magnesium threonate.

ahmo

You can also take GABA to directly affect the GABA:glutamate balance. This thread might be helpful, plus a few others I've collected:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/cbs-revisited.21183/page-4#post-558462CBS revisited

dbkita re Glycine: Glutamates are excitatory but they are also necessary. The question is glutamate vs GABA balance. Zinc helps this balance. So does B6 / P5p (take it only in the morning, never at night). If depleted lithium orotate in small doses can help. Some find pyncogenol / grapeseed extract to be helpful. Manganese seems to increase glutamate in neurons in certain parts of the brain, but is also a necessary co-factor with biotin for glutamine synthetase which is a major mechanism to convert and shuttle glutamate out of the brain. Some push l-theanine, but I would be a bit leery there since that affects glutamate transport and eventually the body develops tolerance.

GABA is only useful if you have a leaky blood brain barrier. To test this take 500 mg of pharmaceutical grade GABA (only) in the middle of the day and see what happens. Do it a second day and see what happens. On day three take 2x500 mg. If the first two days you feel more calm or relaxed or even a bit tired, then you have a leaky BBB, otherwise the GABA will do virtually nada. If you have a leaky BBB then on Day 3 the 2x500 mg is going to probably kick you *bleep* and you will want to sleep or feel drowsy. If it doesn’t then you probably have only limited problems with the BBB....

http://dogtorj.tripod.com/id31.html

* Foods to Avoid, Foods to Enjoy- In this section, I will try to make it clear which foods should be avoided when coping with the “excitotoxin”-related disorders such as epilepsy, insomnia, ADHD, chronic pain (e.g. fibromyalgia), and neurodegenerative diseases such as ALS, MS, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, Huntington’s, and more. Autistic patients should benefit from these dietary guidelines as well, especially the avoidance of the gluten grains, soy, and dairy products.....

Yasko: http://gordonresearch.com/articles_autism/role_of_excitotoxins.html

Ema

I have high GABA levels as well as glutamate levels on neurotransmitter testing.

Taking supplemental GABA (or GABA agonists) increases my anxiety symptoms considerably. It appears that either too little or too much GABA is problematic.

melamine

Gaba was bad for me. Trying to supplement away the symptoms of excitotoxicity has not worked for me in general, although I have found Ashwagandha to be helpful at times. There is a possibility that removal of metals from my mouth has had a positive effect on my glutamate balance but it is too early to fully evaluate.

Restoring gut integrity and microbial balance is what I am presently aiming for because of the obvious connection (for me) between things I've ingested and excitotoxic symptoms, the worst and most persistent and damaging being caused by forms of ingested glutamate. Other exacerbations have been difficult to attach to any specific trigger other than general physical stress/PEM/medication reactions, etc.

kel88

Thanks you guys for the links and al the info!! :)
And more anxity from GABA? Ohh thats strange.. I didnt know that that was
Possible! I always thought GABA had a calming effect??

My biggest problem i think is low dopamin.
Symptoms looks like parkinson and RLS and depressed!

I was also looking for tryptofan or 5 htp.
Than i read again about tryptofan is change in kunurenine and that was also a problem in parkinsons disease, and that kynurenine also activated NMDA receptor. ( so not only glutamated activated this...)

http://www.researchgate.net/publica...and_kynurenine_pathway_in_Parkinson's_disease

And serotonine is the master neurotransmitter and is also responsible for dopamin i read somewhere else..

So maybe i have to try 5HTP , because with tryptofan i only creat a bigger problem!

And to boost dopamin maybe i will use PEA!
Anyone from you guys did try PEA? :)

melamine

@kel88 - A major source of neurotransmitter problems is the gut. Optimizing your diet and addressing whatever problems are likely to be present there is an essential first step in "fixing" neurotransmitter issues. Glutamate sensitivity is thought to be a result of "leaky gut".

I have found higher than normal doses of Ashwagandha helpful as a temporary measure for excitotoxic symptoms but don't have enough information or experience with it to recommend it one way or the other for that purpose other than to say that it's considered safe enough to experiment with if you like.

In my opinion, trying to change neurotransmitter activity by adding or subtracting substances that are supposed to directly affect individual ones will tend to have a temporary effect at best, and often not even that, because they work in a dynamic, complex biological system in which mistakes of that kind will tend to magnify the original problem, or create other unwanted effects. You also end up doing a lot of speculative guesswork that will only divert you from doing things to address the likely cause, which will not help immediately but should help in time. If anyone disagrees with this, maybe they will chime in.

kel88

thanks @melamine for youre reply!!
does ashwagandha also give you a boost in mood or only for excitotoxic symptoms ? :)
do you also have a1298c mutation (low bh4?)

melamine

does ashwagandha also give you a boost in mood or only for excitotoxic symptoms ? :)
do you also have a1298c mutation (low bh4?)

I'm afraid there are so many other things that can affect my mood, including excitotoxic symptoms themselves, that it's hard for me to say without having experimented longer. I don't use it regularly. I guess you could say I'm still experimenting with it. As far as I've observed, it's had no effect on my mood other than the relief kind that comes from alleviating a worrisome symptom.

I don't know what mutations I have - have never been tested and am focused on other methods of recovery that don't involve knowing those.

kel88

Rand is that so? How do you know that? You know someone who did use it? Maybe i will try low dose of else ketotifen :)

Melamine thanks for the info! :)