• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME and CFS Mortality Study: RESEARCH PARTICIPANTS NEEDED

Antares in NYC

This came to me via the Microbe Discovery Project. VERY IMPORTANT study that was way overdue. Glad someone is doing this:

ME and CFS Mortality Study

RESEARCH PARTICIPANTS NEEDED

Were you familiar with someone who had been diagnosed with myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) or chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and has since passed away?

Researchers at DePaul University are looking to investigate issues related to ME and CFS mortality by hearing directly from surviving family members, friends, and/or caregivers of individuals who had ME or CFS and are now deceased.

Participation in this study is voluntary. We understand that this is a sensitive topic and that it might be emotionally difficult for some individuals to participate. However, we believe the information we will obtain from this study has the potential to lead to a better understanding of ME and CFS mortality. The medical community and relevant government agencies need to be informed of the frequency and circumstances of deaths resulting from or associated with having ME or CFS. The purpose of this study is to document the severity and consequences of ME and CFS.

If you know someone who passed away after being sick with ME or CFS, please participate in this important survey. If you can distribute this request for study participants to all whom you know in the ME and CFS communities, please do so. This research can help to make the disease(s) of ME and CFS less invisible for patient.

Participants will be asked to complete a confidential online survey and will be given the opportunity to volunteer for an additional in-person or phone interview. The online survey portion is expected to take up to 1 hour of a participant’s time. Participants must be at least 18 years old.

DePaul University has published many studies of ME and CFS and is a well respected source of information about the disease.

If you are interested in participating, please use this link to access the survey:

https://redcap.is.depaul.edu/surveys/?s=DHxuYxScEn

You can contact Abby Brown at 773-325-1164 or at DePaulMECFSResearch@gmail.com with any questions.

DePaul University, Center for Community Research
990 West Fullerton Avenue, Suite 3100
Chicago, IL 60614
----------------------------------------------------------------------

DePaul IRB Approved
Protocol # AB081913PSY-C1
October 10, 2014 Through October 9, 2015