• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do a lot of people here have elevated Lymphocytes?

PhoenixBurger

Just wondering if it's somewhat common for CFS patients to have slightly elevated lymphocytes? Not necessarily really high. But kind of an ongoing, constant elevated white blood cell count. Specifically lymphocytes.

This has really been my only consistently abnormal test result for the last three years, and they don't know why it's even there. Sometimes it's "Lymphocytes" sometimes it's "Abs. Lymphs"

Thanks.

Thinktank

Many times people report high lymphocytes while they actually mean high lymphocyte % in ratio to neutrophils, eosinophils, monocytes, basophils.
Are you sure you have a high Lymphocyte count?

I have a low WBC count, high % lymphocytes, normal count and low % neutrophils, low count.

PhoenixBurger

@Thinktank - Usually I have average "WBC" and higher than average Lymphocytes percent. By just a nudge. Neutrophils have been generally on the low end of normal.

My most recent test is showing slight higher WBC. Normal Lymphs %. But "high" Abs. Lymphs.

I realize there are a thousand interpretations to this test, but just curious if people here tend to have "indications that their body is fighting viruses" - and its showing in the form of high Lymphocytes.

Last edited:
My WBC count has been at the very high end of normal the past 6 months or so - 10,000 and 9,900 with a maximum normal range of 10,000. My lymphocytes have been normal, but my eosinophils were 5 (normal is 4 or under) six weeks ago.

I looked into my results when I got them, and from what I recall it was some pretty normal effects from being on antibiotics for a while.

halcyon

My absolute lymphocyte count is usually normal, but my CD8+ lymphocyte subset count has been elevated, which goes along with a persistent viral infection.

I've also had a persistently elevated eosinophil count.

Forbin

Just after onset, my lymphocytes and monocytes were at the high end of normal. Segmented neutrophils were at the very low end of normal. My doctor thought I had a virus.

Two weeks later, those all reversed. The lymphs and monos dropped to the very low end of normal and segs shot up to just beyond the high end of normal. The bands and eosinophils, which had been mid-range, also dropped to the very lowest end of normal at that point.

A couple of weeks later, the segs has risen a bit higher above normal than they had been and the bands had returned to mid-range. The rest (lymphs, monos, eos) were a little higher in the low normal range.

I'm not sure if this represents the normal "snap back" from the flu, but it seems odd that everything else fell to the low end while the segs shot up from the very lowest of normal to above the high end of the normal.

Last edited:

aimossy

My WBC is elevated and sits anywhere btw 9 and 16 all the time. I have elevated eosinophils as well, but can't remember the number value.

PeterPositive

The answer to the question in the tile is -> No.

I have a low WBC count, high % lymphocytes, normal count and low % neutrophils, low count.
I have the same "configuration" :)

My WBC oscillates between slightly above than the low range and slightly below.
I've found some old tests from 2005-6. At the time I was much better physically although not fully healthy and my WBC was only slightly better than it is these day.

PhoenixBurger

@Valentijn Wish I could figure out why my Lymphs are always a little high now. I suppose its my new CMV infection that I got 3 years ago. It pretty much ruined my health. Even though every doctor said that wasn't possible from CMV. I have a feeling it, and Epstein Barr are just continually reactivating in me, depending upon my lifestyle. Klimas / Rey wanted me to take Valganciclovir, expressing concern that if I didn't address the constantly agitated immune system I might end up with something worse, but I am too afraid of its carcinogenic effects.

Klimas / Rey wanted me to take Valganciclovir, expressing concern that if I didn't address the constantly agitated immune system I might end up with something worse, but I am too afraid of its carcinogenic effects.
Valganciclovir has never been shown to increase cancer in humans, just in lab animals, who usually receive a ridiculously high dose as part of the trial safety process. I'd trust your doctors - they're experts regarding ME/SEID, and have had a lot of experience with using these sorts of drugs. Though maybe if I had a very mild case of ME/SEID, I'd think differently :p

Mij

The answer to the question in the tile is -> No.

I have the same "configuration" :)

My WBC oscillates between slightly above than the low range and slightly below.
I've found some old tests from 2005-6. At the time I was much better physically although not fully healthy and my WBC was only slightly better than it is these day.

It depends how often you have your WBC checked, you'd be surprised how it can fluctuate and doesn't necessarily reflect how you feel.

Several years ago I had my CBC done every month for several months and my WBC went from 3.2 to 5.6, during the times they were very low I was feeling pretty good and when they were higher normal I felt not so good. The only times I felt better when they were low was when my free T3 was in normal range, so the fluctuation and how I was feeling seemed to be thyroid related for me.

My ab lymphocytes are below normal though.

PeterPositive

It depends how often you have your WBC checked, you'd be surprised how it can fluctuate and doesn't necessarily reflect how you feel.

Several years ago I had my CBC done every month for several months and my WBC went from 3.2 to 5.6, during the times they were very low I was feeling pretty good and when they were higher normal I felt not so good. The only times I felt better when they were low was when my free T3 was in normal range, so the fluctuation and how I was feeling seemed to be thyroid related for me.

My ab lymphocytes are below normal though.
I think you're right :)

I have had my WBC counted at least 7 times in the last 3 years or so. Definitely there seem to be an inverse correlation between how high is the value and my health state.

Since the 2nd half of 2014 I've had several improvements but my WBC was below range (3.8) while the count was much higher (4.5) when I was sicker. Go figure.

acer2000

I have an elevated Lymph% and lowered Nuet%. Counts are usually "normal" but sometimes the neutrophils drop down quite a bit.