• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Institute of Neuro Immune Medicine - Florida

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
Has anyone been to the clinic led by Dr. Kilmas in South Florida? I called a while back and heard Dr. Kilmas was not seeing patients. Has anyone been to the Nova University clinic and/or seen the other doctors there? Can you give me any idea of what to expect if I make an appointment?

*GG*

Has anyone been to the clinic led by Dr. Kilmas in South Florida? I called a while back and heard Dr. Kilmas was not seeing patients. Has anyone been to the Nova University clinic and/or seen the other doctors there? Can you give me any idea of what to expect if I make an appointment?

Yes, not me, but have seen this mentioned many times. Perhaps a google search with her name and this forum will give you that info?

GG

Seven7

Seven
Is good for the immune side of things. I give you 100% cool with them for getting the NK and viruses under control. Dr Vera is new so I don't know much about her. But Dr K or Rey are great.

Word of advice, do yourself a poor's man tilt table test and go see an electrophysiologyst if it is positive. To see results you have to treat OI + Immune system and any other issues (sleep, Thyroid, Gut...). So with them you will address any immune deficiency and Viral stuff. You still need to address any specific issues of any other specialty. The sooner the better if you just sit back to adress the others it will take toooo long.

I see Dr. Rey/dr. Vera at INIM. A short history because I am new to the forums- I was diagnosed with ME by Dr. Lapp in NC in 2005 and saw him for 8 years. When I started seeing him I was a 1 or 2. I was treated with more conventional drugs to help with the symptoms of ME but not the underlying issues- I experienced a remission period for 3 years 2007-2010. During that time I was able to work on my undergrad degree (neuroscience) and have a really normal life with normal energy except for the occasional PEM. I relapsed in 2011 and was at a 2-3 and Dr. Lapp recommended I seek help from Dr. Klimas and have viral tests done. In 2013 I saw Dr. Rey and had blood tests showing an NK cell count as undetected (happens in 1% of klimas patients) and nk cell function of zero. I have HHV6 and EBV. I had a lot of success with Imunovir- was able to take a trip overseas with no PEM after 1.5 years on Imunovir- but it caused me to have an increase in proinflammatory cytokines so I had to DC as it was starting to cause some RA symptoms. A few months later and I am now taking Famvir...but the biggest improvement for me has been due to LDN and a beta blocker for awful POTS. I highly recommend INIM as they treat based on their own research and do not treat too aggressively for PWCs. You might have to call their office several times to get an answer if you are not yet a patient but it is worth it in my opinion!

By the way I have been seeing Dr. Vera (she is relatively new to INIM) for follow ups and she is an extremely capable doc! The way she forms my treatment plan is super intuitive and prudent and I would recommend her as much as Rey.

Dr. Vera prescribed pindolol (a beta blocker). It really helped my energy because I don't get dizzy and I get much better blood circulation. That plus electrolyte drinks works best for me.

littlebird6180

I see Dr. Vera also and have been really happy with her. She takes a lot of time with you to make sure you understand everything, is very comprehensive and I just really feel I'm in good hands with her. She also recently prescribed pindolol for me as well and I was nervous about starting it but just took my first dose (fingers crossed). LDN has done nothing for me, which stinks.

littlebird6180

@littlebird6180 How has you experience with pindolol been so far?

Life changing. I'm finally seeing a cardiologist too and am on a heart monitor for 30 days but he wants me to switch to atenolol so I'm going to in a couple weeks. His reasons were that it will be much better for the actual condition I have. He also said that many of Dr Klimas' patients who are referred to him end up having a bad circuit in their heart that he ablates surgically and it cures their problems completely. This sounds too good to be true but it's why I'm wearing the monitor. And with how much better I've felt with the pindolol, I'm willing to be a little hopeful.

Dakota15

Bumping an old thread here - looking for any insight about Nova Institute / Dr. Vera experiences. If anyone has any input they'd be willing to offer, I would love to ask some questions. Feel free to PM me as well if you prefer.

Thank you

Seven7

Seven
Life changing. I'm finally seeing a cardiologist too and am on a heart monitor for 30 days but he wants me to switch to atenolol so I'm going to in a couple weeks. His reasons were that it will be much better for the actual condition I have. He also said that many of Dr Klimas' patients who are referred to him end up having a bad circuit in their heart that he ablates surgically and it cures their problems completely. This sounds too good to be true but it's why I'm wearing the monitor. And with how much better I've felt with the pindolol, I'm willing to be a little hopeful.
What is the name of the Cardioligyst?

Bumping an old thread here - looking for any insight about Nova Institute / Dr. Vera experiences. If anyone has any input they'd be willing to offer, I would love to ask some questions. Feel free to PM me as well if you prefer.

Thank you
I'm dr. Vera's patient. You can PM me.