• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

liver and kidney detox

Martial

Hey all! I was just wondering if I could get some advice on something and maybe get ideas of what others do...

I have been using a lot of supplements as part of my own path of recovery and sometimes it makes me wonder if all those supplements are doing harm to kidneys and my liver..

I do not use anything too crazy, just that I take a lot of different things and I feel like this is a lot for my organs to process and excrete as it would be with anybody..

I don't take any pharmaceutical medications, nor have I ever really drunk alcohol much in my life so for the most part I feel like I don't but too much of a burden on these things besides the supplements..

I drink plenty of water, and also eat a very healthy diet.

I am just wondering if there is something extra I could use for kidney and liver protection, or perhaps who knows maybe one of the things I am taking already helps with it.. Ironically enough it will probably end up being another supplement that helps with liver/kidney detox lol.

Currently I am using

Herbal antibotics/ essential oil mixtures.

Prima Una De Gato, Grape Fruit seed extract. Frankincense, On Guard, Metabolic function oil, melalueca

Oxidative support- Resveratrol, CoQ10, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Neuro Protek, and Ribociene (glutathione pre cursor), may add PQQ later on

Inflammation response- Lithium aspartate , TheraCurmin, Fermented fish cod oil, source naturals glucosamine chondroitin complex with msm, Immflamezyme (biogenesis pharm)

General Immune system help- liposomal vitamin C, Vitamin D, MycoPotent Immune Complex, bio citrate magnesium, Jarrows B right complex.

Methylation protocol- Methyl b12, ado b12, methyl folate, L Carnatine Fumarate.

Changexpert

I think this is definitely a contributing factor in worsening CFS/ME. Supplements that we feed into the bodies are not always clean as they are loaded with fillers. Certain fillers such as magnesium stearate is controversial in the field of medicine. Some say it can be taken without any side effects whereas some say it can even lead to "cancer."

To remove the toxins from the supplements, our body works extra hard for a long term, resulting in dysfunction from exhaustion. I have done 2 liver flushes in the past three weeks and I can honestly say that every time I do a flush, I feel fine for next few days. Many symptoms I experience become milder; foggy brain, eye floaters, hair loss, and low energy. The problem returns when I start dumping new supplements into my body for a prolonged period. It's a catch 22 because I need certain supplements to keep removing toxin buildups.

Kidney, liver, and bowel are three organs in charge of removing toxin, and with all these supplements, we are only overloading the organs. This I believe is why methylation may work wonders for some people and may harm others in the long-term.

SwanRonson

I've wondered the same thing. I guess just routine blood work and urine testing a couple of times a year is the best insurance to spot any numbers that are elevating and try to be proactive about it.

helen1

I have the same concern so have a few strategies such as the obvious one of buying supplements without fillers or at least with more benign ones whenever possible.

For liver support milk thistle is supposed to be helpful and is well researched. I've heard it can cause detox symptoms though so if you try it start small. I've been taking small amounts of milk thistle for about a year.

For kidney support I've heard interesting things about chanca piedra especially that it breaks up calcium oxalate kidney stones and increases bile secretion.

Coffee enemas are one of the few things that have really helped me and a few others here like ahmo so that's an option too if you can get over the mental block. It stimulates bile secretion as well as glutathione production. On the other hand there's no research to tell us how it might affect the gut microbiome so that needs to be considered.

Last edited:

SwanRonson

Coffee enemas are one of the few things that have really helped me and a few others here like ahmo so that's an option too if you can get over the mental block. It stimulates bile secretion as well as glutathione production.

Do you follow a particular protocol that you can provide a link to? I'm interested in this.

Martial

I don't take 3/4 of all of that anymore. I use Sida Acuta, Teasal, Houttuynia, Japanese Knotweed, and a herb blend complex called Adrenal health by Gaia Herbs for my lyme. Aside from that I use a vit D, 150mcg of iodine, Cod Liver Oil as needed, and the methyl supplements; mb12,adenob12,folate, and L carnatine fumarate.

Tammy

I think it is good to take more breaks off supplements but I have been criticized before for suggesting such a thing...........just my opinion.:)

Martial

I think it is good to take more breaks off supplements but I have been criticized before for suggesting such a thing...........just my opinion.:)

No that makes perfect sense Tammy I agree, I still hesitate to take much breaks from the herbs while treating the lyme however it is definitely necessary to give my body a bit of a break. If I am killing stuff off anyways that should give it more amble time to de tox while I bump up the water intake too. The supplements are also good to cycle.