• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone tried Magnesium Bicarbonate (drink?)

Gingergrrl

I am sorry I don't have a link to post but I was wondering if anyone has ever tried Magnesium Bicarbonate? It is a drink that you create with carbonated water and Milk of Magnesia (in a specific ratio.) Supposedly it is the best way to get magnesium into your cells and help with muscle pain and I have heard even improve mitochondrial functioning.

I have now heard about it from two different people but not sure how effective it could be or if it is another potential scam. Maybe scam is too harsh of a word but you know what I mean. That is why I want feedback here on PR if this is worthwhile to try or dangerous (or anything in between.)

Thanks in advance for any info!

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
Here's the image that pops into my head: there is a kid's science experiment of putting a pack of Mentos into a liter bottle of Coke...it explodes! I know that's not really helpful, but it seems to me that "magnesium bicarbonate" would be metabolized into something else long before it could ever aid in "transporting Mg into your cells."

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I think I have only seen Mg (Bi)carbonate (with the calcium form as well) in a particular supplement. The supplement was advertised as a "Alkalizing" supplement.

GracieJ

Googling came up with recipes, precautions, benefits, etc. very quickly. Looks like a good thing to try imo.

Edit. On further reading, I am thinking yes, please.

And... it is a pretty sure bet others will come on here and tell you it is a scam and quackery, judging from the associated doctor's names on some sites.

I am the alternative medicine enthusiast back at work using weird things. What do I know? But I think I am going to give this one a try. Based on my experience it looks sound enough.

Last edited:

eafw

It is a drink that you create with carbonated water and Milk of Magnesia (in a specific ratio.)

Just sounds like mineral water with a bit of added extra oomph, and if you need the Mg any soluble form is a good way to get it. The bicarb may help for some people as bicarb in itself so it may be killing two birds with one stone here.

Probably nothing wrong with it but would be wary of the hype as the one true way to get your minerals, more important as to what you can tolerate (laxative effect, BP etc) though this recipe sounds fairly gentle.

Related and may be of interest:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1495189/

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3775162/

Looks at concentration of minerals in tap and bottled water and health implications in soft water areas (ie lacking in Ca and Mg)

Gingergrrl

Thanks for all the replies and I am still not sure what to think about this one or if I should try it. I need to google it and read the info. If I find a link that explains the product, I will post it so I can get more precise feedback.

Gingergrrl

Here are the links that I wanted to post earlier:

This first one sites a study re: magnesium bicarb and the second is the link to the actual product. My husband created his own version from carbonated water and milk of magnesia and drinks 1/3 cup of the mixture per day mixed with one liter of regular water. (we did not buy the product)

I have not tried it as I am skeptical that it works and afraid it could give me GI problems. I am continuing to take Magnesium Malate supplements and use the Mag by nebulizer instead. I would love to hear thoughts on this now that I have provided the links. Is it nonsense or a scam or does it have potential?

Thanks in advance!

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1756-0500/3/180

http://magbicarb.com/

eafw

Is it nonsense or a scam or does it have potential?

The basic chemistry is sound - when you mix carbonic acid (ie carbonated water) with a magnesium salt (eg milk of magnesia) you make a solution of magnesium bicarbonate. That is quite straightforward.

Also the absorbtion of Mg is better when in solution, and Mg supplementation helps with deficiencies. So no problem with that either.

I'd take issue with the hype: "rare and powerful" ... "incredible effects" ... "hidden power"

and the errors: "bicarbonates are the primary transporters of oxygen within the body" (no, haemoglobin is)

etc etc

IOW, if you need Mg and can tolerate this form of it then fine (though you say you already are taking Mg supplements ?) If you find bicarb helps you feel better also good, but it's not anything special or miraculous.

Gingergrrl

@eafw Would this method get the magnesium into your mitochondria better than other methods? Or is this claim too over the top in your opinion?

eafw

Would this method get the magnesium into your mitochondria better than other methods?

Hi Gingergrrl. I would be suspicious of that claim, though metabolic chemistry at that level is v. complicated and I don't know enough of it to be clear as to what might be going on with Mg and cells even in a healthy person, let alone where there may be problems or damage.

I know there have been some studies on bicarb in athletes, showing a few percentage gain in performance - when they take it before intense exercise - so maybe the bicarb in the mix helps do something for "fatigue" and it might affect Mg uptake as well.

Best guess is that I can't see it being significantly different form any other Mg in solution (I don't know, but I'm pretty sure the people who are marketing this stuff don't know either !)

The easiest thing is probably to try it and see how you feel. Carbonated water and magnesia are cheap, and in ordinary dosages should be fairly safe. Might give you the runs or a bit of indigestion ?

Or maybe just stick to what you're already taking if that seems to help anyway.

Ema

You might look at magnesium orotate. According to the work of Hans Nieper, the orotate form is a transporter to the mitochondrial membrane. It is apparently used for angina and other cardiac issues in Germany.