• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Serum B12 verging on high?

Hi everyone,

I know low B12 levels is a common occurrence for people with ME / CFS, so I got my levels checked recently.

To my surprise the came back as 652 ng/L (ref: 191 - 663). So on the upper end of the range. Is this unusual for someone with ME / CFS?

Also is anyone aware if this makes hypochlorhydria unlikely for my particular case. As it's something I've been looking into as a possible problem.

Thanks in advance

PeterPositive

The reference range varies a lot. My upper level is 900. In other countries it goes as high as 1100 or more.
652 is not indicative of a major B12 deficiency, but it doesn't tell you anything about your methylation status.

You might have sufficient B12 resources but your methylation could be blocked or partially blocked due to lack of other factors, such as folate, B6, B2, B3 etc...

cheers

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
according to this article, Dr. Amy Yasko says:

"High or very high serum B12 is an indicator for low serum lithium, which can easily be checked by blood test, or hair elements analysis and urine toxic metals and essential elements."

PeterPositive

according to this article, Dr. Amy Yasko says:

"High or very high serum B12 is an indicator for low serum lithium, which can easily be checked by blood test, or hair elements analysis and urine toxic metals and essential elements."
Would you consider 660 a high value?
It doesn't strike me as suspiciously high.

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
Would you consider 660 a high value?
It doesn't strike me as suspiciously high.

I have no idea... don't know how to interpret the tests... I just read the article 1 minute before seeing this question posted and shared it in case it was a possible factor.

SwanRonson

Mine was 707 a couple of weeks ago. Lab ref range was 211 - 946.

Edit: Which, btw, 211 is ridiculous as a "normal" range.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Seems it's not too unusual to have a normal or slightly high level then.

Anyone aware of the implications of hypochlorhydria and B12 levels? My understanding is that B12 needs high stomach acid levels to be absorbed. So therefore it should be a reasonable indication that I don't have low stomach acid?

PeterPositive

Thanks for the replies everyone. Seems it's not too unusual to have a normal or slightly high level then.

Anyone aware of the implications of hypochlorhydria and B12 levels? My understanding is that B12 needs high stomach acid levels to be absorbed. So therefore it should be a reasonable indication that I don't have low stomach acid?
Low stomach acid is best assessed with digestive symptoms.
You may have difficulties digesting proteins or fat foods, with burping, bloating and heartburn.

If these symptoms don't occur very frequently and you don't have other similar digestive difficulties it is highly unlikely you have hypochlorhydria.

I do suffer from hypochlorhydria and I can tell you that I have an abundance of digestive issues.

SwanRonson

I agree with @PeterPositive . B12 level would be a latent indicator of low stomach acid, and a poor one at that. Many people have abysmal b12 levels with perfectly normal stomach acid production. And others have normal b12 levels with low stomach acid. B12 results in general aren't very good indicators of much. IMO the only thing they are useful for is showing trajectory. i.e., are they rising or falling based on what you're supplementing.