• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

best brand for acetyl L carnitine?

charlie1

I"m looking for just ALC, not a product that has other supplements in it as well. I'm trying to add it to my daily regimen in hopes of energy gain.

Mij

I've been taking Doctor's Best Sigma Tau (588mg) off and on for years. I also take it with R+ Lipoic Acid. I find it helps with brain energy but I have to take breaks because it can make you feel wired.

Not sure how much this means but it seems good.

"The Sigma tau supplied Acetyl-L-Carnitine in this product is derived from a base of pharmaceutical grade L-Carnitine manufactured by patented, FDA-approved process that fully complies with the USP 25, FCC 4 and EU monographs. It is GMO-free, pesticide-free and BSE safe".

charlie1

@acrosstheveil and @Mij Thank you :)

My health store only carries Natural Factors and New Roots brands. I would have to buy on-line.

Did it help you with PEM and general lack of energy. Lately I feel like I've been hit by a transport truck. I'm exhausted yet have done nothing for weeks.. Ugh...

Mij

My health store only carries Natural Factors and New Roots brands. I would have to buy on-line.

Did it help you with PEM and general lack of energy. Lately I feel like I've been hit by a transport truck. I'm exhausted yet have done nothing for weeks.. Ugh...

I buy from iherb. the shipping to Canada is cheap and if the cost is below $50 you won't get hit with taxes or the $9 handling fee.

I don't think it helped with physical PEM but my brain energy has improved. If you want to try a supplement that is helpful with PEM you should look into trying Ubiquinol. There are several threads about it.
It can be a little expensive but it's one supplement I will always take because I feel I am having positive results.

charlie1

If you want to try a supplement that is helpful with PEM you should look into trying Ubiquinol.
Thanks., that's great to know! I started using CoQ10 @ 100mg just a few days ago so maybe it'll kick in soon. Do you know if initially it can cause the 'hit by a truck' feeling' b/c I can't really attribute this incredible fatigue/weakness to PEM (I've been housebound for weeks so not sure why my symptoms have increased in intensity)
What brand and dosage are you at?

Mij

There are some members here who can not take CoQ10, MeSci and Sidereal are 2 that come to mind.

I don't have any problems with it except if I take it for too long it will affect my sleep, so I take a break from it. I don't know if it can make you feel as though you've been by a truck. Stop for a few weeks and see how you feel after. Feeling very weak and fatigued could be just the illness itself and not necessarily anything you're taking or doing. I had this for many years and taking supplements didn't relieve it.

I used to take Life Extension brand but it's more expensive than others. I take 200mg/day in divided doses, one in the morning and one early afternoon. I've recently ordered the Jarrow, it was recommended by a member here. I should be getting my order soon. I hope you get some relief soon!

http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-QH-Absorb-Ubiquinol-100-mg-120-Softgels/36529#p=1&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=jarrow ubiquinol absorb&rc=37&sr=null&ic=3

charlie1

Yes, this deathly feeling may be the illness itself. So far, there are no supplements that have helped me in 3 yrs. Thanks for the info.

acrosstheveil

it does help with both. lots of mental energy that translates into physical energy. if you want something good for pure physical energy i would suggest cordyceps extract. I use the aloha medicinals brand. both work very well for me. I haven't had a good experience with natural factors brand mainly due to allergens in their products. Never tried new roots.

I would suggest ordering online if possible. you will end up saving a ton of money in the long run.

charlie1

ahhh...mushrooms!;)
I will be seeing a functional medicine doctor next month who also uses Chinese herbs. I'll ask him about it.
Thanks!

Hanna

In 2011 I switched from Acetyl-L-carnitine to L-Carnitine Fumarate according to Freddd's suggestions. But havn't used enough the acetyl form to notice any difference.
Have some guys here some ideas/experience about the subject - what would be best for ME patients?
Is the Acetyl form best for mitochondrial purpose?

charlie1

I'm new to all this too Hanna. I can't help you but hopefully someone will explain the difference. I posted the question because I've heard lots of ME patients are on ALC

I began with L-Carnitine and did notice incremental improvements as the weeks passed but after switching to Acetyl-L-Carnitine I noticed the same incremental improvements but also a lot more activity between the ears. In fact, I took some in the early evening and felt rather wired and couldn't sleep. It was intense and reminiscent of being a child anticipating something special the next day.

From the literature I've read through the Acetyl version passes through the blood brain barrier and I can certainly vouch for that. I add OMEGA 3 fatty acids to give the carnitine something to metabolise. I've also read that the OMEGA 3s and carnitine offer an anti-inflammatory effect and it certainly helps me on that front as I regularly feel like I'm burning up on the inside and believe my inflammatory response has gone haywire.

I've tried a variety of Acetyl-L-Carnitine brands. The Puritan's Pride version at first, and more recently a couple from iHerb as I like to buy other bits from there beyond just supplements (MRM, Acetyl-L-Carnitine and Primaforce, Alcar, Acetyl-L-Carnitine 250g which is great value). I've tried A LOT of different supplements and the ones with the most noticeable efficacy come from the symbiotic effect of the OMEGA 3/Acetyl-L-Carnitine duo. I throw in CoQ10 and fundamental dietary changes for good measure and improvements continue at a much faster pace than if I wasn't taking anything.

I'm not familiar with other forms of carnitine as the Acetyl version seems to be right for me. I started at 500mg but increased over a few weeks to 2,000mg taken in the morning. I'd like to hear comparisons as well.

charlie1

Well, I've learned alot the last few days! I was looking into both the IMMUNE and ENERGY formulas of the products being touted by K-PAX as possibly being the breakthrough needed for those suffering from CFS/ME. They aren't claiming it's a cure but what they do say is that it works at the mitochondrial level of our cells to increase our energy output. I think it was the Immune formula that was used in the 2014 Synergy trial plus added in was a small amount of Ritalin to act as a catalyst to drive the nutrients into the cells. The results of of the trial should be released early 2015.

K-PAX offers to the public (on-line) quite a few pharmaceutical strength supplements.What I was interested in is the Immune formula having what seems to be double the dose of ingredients than the Energy formula which is also very good but does contain Caffeine (instead of the Ritalin used in the trial). The makers are aware that some people react negatively to Caffeine and although they find it's very useful for 'boosting' the nutrients into the system quicker than otherwise, the Immune formula is available for those not wanting the caffeine.

If you're interested, it's best you call the reps yourself. They were very helpful and kind while answering my concerns, caffeine being one of them. They also talk you through the directions of how and when to take and as well I believe instructions are included in the kit. They were very supportive and invited me to call back with any questions or issues I may have while taking the products.

I've ordered the one month fatigue trial pack that includes both the Immune and Energy formulas ($99.00).
I'm very interested in the K-PAX b/c it has more than just the ALC which what this post was originally asking about. I've heard favorable reports from others who are trying it .... their levels of brain fog have decreased significantly and energy levels have increased. I am hoping that I'll be one of the lucky ones who benefit significantly although I'll take any improvement as a step in the right direction. I've had my hopes crushed before so I choose to be cautiously optimistic..

They have a great website that shows all the ingredients used, the 3 biggies (immune modulators) being Acety-L Carnitine,(ALC), N-Acetyl-Cysteine (NAC) and Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) which they say when used in the proper amounts, work synergistically together. The formula is also chalked full of vitamins and minerals.

Here the links to both of the formulas that I bought. That link will bring you into the website where you can do further research yourself.

http://www.kpaxpharm.com/vitaminsandsupplements/immunesystemboosters/immune-support-tablets-120
http://www.kpaxpharm.com/vitaminsandsupplements/immunesystemboosters/Energy

There is an informative You Tube video on the site that shows Jon Kaiser, Md, the Medical Director of K-PAX Pharmaceuticals going through a slide presentation called "Mitochondrial Medicine, Fatigue & ME/CFS."
If you only want to learn about Mitochondria, go straight to 4:50 of the video. Very informative!

I plan to start tomorrow, albeit at a reduced dosage because for me, better safe than sorry.

I'll keep you updated.