• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

treatment options for herpes?

alice111

ok, so I realize that's a big question.. but im wondering if people could please list the different options out there for treating herpes (specifically HSV 1 and 2)
i am aware of a few different options, not sure what the pros and cons/ success rates are

also, can these things be applied to other herpes viruses such as EBV, CMV HHV 6?

- antivirals
-immune modulators
-immune support supplements
-chelation?
-root cause treatments?
- prevention/ treating outbreak?

halcyon

A number of the *cyclovirs work against HSV 1 and 2. Not all of them work equally against all other herpes viruses. There's a table somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

In terms of prevention of outbreaks, there seems to be some evidence that l-lysine can be helpful.

SOC

ok, so I realize that's a big question.. but im wondering if people could please list the different options out there for treating herpes (specifically HSV 1 and 2)
i am aware of a few different options, not sure what the pros and cons/ success rates are

also, can these things be applied to other herpes viruses such as EBV, CMV HHV 6?

- antivirals
-immune modulators
-immune support supplements
-chelation?
-root cause treatments?
- prevention/ treating outbreak?
Valtrex and Famvir are the first-line antivirals for HSV-1 and -2. There are alpha-, beta-, and gamma-herpesviruses and different antivirals work better for different subfamilies. So the antiherpetic best for HSV (HHV-1 and -2) is not the best antiherpetic for HHV-6 or CMV (HHV-5). Multiple antiherpetics might be used at the same time if you have multiple active infections in different subfamilies.

Immune modulators and support supplements could help, but if you already have autoimmune tendencies (and I think many of us do) you could make things worse taking supplements that affect the immune system without knowing what is wrong (if anything) with your immune system.

What do you mean by root cause treatments? The root cause is the HSV virus and it's not curable, just manageable.

HSV infections are well-documented, so any GP and certainly any ID doc should have lots of information and a clear treatment plan. It seems like getting the advice of a knowledgeable physician would be your best plan. S/he would know a lot more about pros/cons and success rates for treating HSV than a bunch of PWME.

zzz

Tagamet.

Yes, the same Tagamet that's normally used as an antacid.

From an earlier post of mine:
In 1979, Dr. Goldstein discovered that he could cure acute mononucleosis infections in 90% of his patients in one to two days by using Tagamet. The theory behind this can be found on page 196 of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Treatment: A Treatment Guide (well worth the $4 if you don't already have this book). You can also find this page online here. Tagamet is also helpful in reducing ME/CFS symptoms in general for 20% of the people who take it (sometimes by quite a bit); you may be more likely than most people to benefit from it since your CFS seems to be connected with your EBV.

Despite the fact that Dr. Goldstein published a paper on this, and the results were duplicated elsewhere, this still has not been adopted as a standard treatment for mononucleosis, so your doctor may not be familiar with it. However, it is quite effective; people with refractive mononucleosis used to travel long distances just to have Dr. Goldstein give them Tagamet. It was available only by prescription back then; now, you can get it over-the-counter at any drugstore, and cheap generic forms (cimetidine) are available. Tagamet is effective against all herpes viruses. From Life Extension Magazine:
While pharmaceutical companies promote expensive and only partially effective anti-viral drugs, there is evidence dating back more than 20 years that the drug cimetidine (sold over-the-counter as Tagamet) is highly effective in shortening the duration or preventing the outbreaks of herpes and shingles. The problem is that virtually no physicians are prescribing cimetidine to their herpes (or shingles) patients, despite persuasive findings in peer-reviewed scientific journals.

There's also a thread about Tagamet and ME/CFS right here on PR.

Zantac (ranitidine) works similarly to Tagamet; both are H(2) antagonists. Zantac has the advantage that it has fewer side effects than Tagamet. However, Tagamet seems to work for more people than Zantac.

Here's the first paragraph from the conclusion of the Life Extension Magazine article mentioned in the above quote:
Studies indicate that viruses like herpes simplex and herpes zoster can be put into quick remission, or the breakouts prevented altogether, when T-lymphocyte suppressor cell function is inhibited. The best way of accomplishing this is to take 200 mg of cimetidine (Tagamet) three times a day and then 400 mg at bedtime. Tagamet is available in pharmacies over-the-counter.

The article as a whole is quite interesting, and there are many studies cited.

Last edited:

ahmo

Locally, I get excellent results applying tea tree oil. I've had excellent results with olive leaf extract. I got some sort of anti-viral from my GP when my outbreaks were at their worst. I tolerated this for a short time, but had my typical histamine/overloaded liver response. that's when I started olive leaf. I've had very little herpes activity over the past year, maybe my overall detox strategy has had some positive effect.

drob31

Is it possible to be asymptomatic?

Also, how do you know which HHV variant you have?

Has everyone been tested for EBV/titer count?