• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How many of you have oily skin type?

Changexpert

This may be a far-fetched question. I was wondering how many of you have oily skin type. If you do, do you respond well to supplements? Personally, I have very oily skin and respond very sensitively to supplements in general. More negative reaction occurs for thiol supplements for some reason. Could there be potential relationship? I would appreciate your input!

Gondwanaland

Interesting question.

Before supplementing high doses of magnesium I had to wash my hair every other day.

Since September I can go without washing for 10 days or more and my hair never gets oily anymore.

Washing hair (and skin) with sodium bicarbonate also helped a lot to reduce oil. Even though I have dry skin from hypothyroidism, my skin has improved with mineral supplements.

Of course one possibility would be that this same protocol could benefit everyone who has oily hair and skin, but my husband and my sister who have oily hair could not supplement as much magnesium as me b/c they get low BP.

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
Yes for skin and hair, and always did - even pre-CFS. [It's hard to find a shampoo without some pesky conditioner in it, so maybe this is rare.]

No, can't remember a bad reaction from a supplement.

snowathlete

Pre-illness I was fine, but since getting ill my skin has become so oily that I have to wash a lot. Showering each day is hard when you're ill of course, but I am in a routine now and have a stool I can sit on, and that helps a lot. The only thing I have found that helps is to use a good soap. I get eczema if I use anything with chemicals. So I now use much more expensive, but natural, soaps which work well but withou the problems.

PennyIA

I've always had oily skin.

I've had negative reactions to folic acid and b6 (not methylation forms). I seem to do fine with the methylated folate and P5P.

I don't seem to tolerate even the smallest doses of magnesium though... only epsom salts.

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Yes, I have oily skin and hair.

I also have very acid sweat. I have owned a couple of aluminum MacBook Pros over the years and on the areas where I tend rest my palms they always have severe pitting from my sweat eating away at the metal.

L'engle

moogle
Yes, oily skin and hair, but also sensitive to dryness and irritation. If I don't wash my face regularly my face oils will run into my eyes and they sting. I started using emu oil soap on my face and just apple cider vinegar mixed with water on my hair. Seems to help.

Sherlock

I also have very acid sweat. I have owned a couple of aluminum MacBook Pros over the years and on the areas where I tend rest my palms they always have severe pitting from my sweat eating away at the metal.
Long ago, my wrist under my stainless steel watchband would get blackened when out walking on hot days, most likely from acidity. I've recently gotten pH test strips and now make efforts to be less acidic.

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Long ago, my wrist under my stainless steel watchband would get blackened when out walking on hot days, most likely from acidity. I've recently gotten pH test strips and now make efforts to be less acidic.

Does lowering acid help with your symptoms?

I understand the diet part but do you have any recommendations on what supplements are most effective? I've tried bicarbonate of soda but but I'm not sure that it's the best thing to use.

Sherlock

Does lowering acid help with your symptoms?

I understand the diet part but do you have any recommendations on what supplements are most effective? I've tried bicarbonate of soda but but I'm not sure that it's the best thing to use.
It helps with recovery after exercise. I believe it possibly helps as being somewhat anti-inflammatory, because acidity hypes up chemical processes.

Too much bicarb risks an ultra-laxative effect. Potassium citrate works well and is used in studies to lower urine acidity. I have taken that often.

Some days, I have a lot of lemon juice in water, no sugar.

L'engle

moogle
That's interesting. I've taken baths with baking soda but never consumed it. I would love to be able to exercise more without suffering so much headache and weakness the next day.

Does taking it after exercise work or does it have to be before?

I've tried lemon juice too but found it too irritating.

Last edited:

Sherlock

I've taken baths with baking soda but never consumed it.
you avoid the laxative danger that way
headache and weakness the next day.
funny you say that because I'd been sometimes experiencing headache the next day; it feels like a histamine headache but it's hard to pin down even as to the cause (maybe it's from post exercise sugar, e.g.) because it doesn't happen every time.
Does taking it after exercise work or does it have to be before?
taking it after helps with recovery for me, I no longer get PEM but there is the big bicarb/PEM thread:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...a-sam-e-catalase-no-pem-after-exercise.34446/

meanwhile, out in the world, high-performing athletes take bicarb shortly before exercise in order to do a little bit more or faster exercise as it reduces acid buildup as it occurs in the muscles