• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Eye Health for diagnosing ME/CFS?

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/press/...diagnose-people-with-chronic-fatigue-syndrome

Dr Dolores M Conroy, Director of Research at Fight for Sight, said: “It’s clear from patients’ self-reports that the visual problems they experience have a marked impact on their quality of life. They also represent distinct, quantifiable, clinical features that could significantly improve diagnosis, provide insights into underlying pathology and represent a candidate for treatment, thereby improving the everyday lives of patients. Fight for Sight is delighted to team up with Thomas Pocklington Trust to fund this important research project, results from which could contribute to visual symptoms being recognised as a key diagnostic feature of CFS.”

barbc56

That's intriguing. I wonder if the type of eye problems they are studying are specific to me/cfs/seids or similar to the eye problems in other conditions such as MS? I hope they have a control group not only for those without any eye symptoms but for those with other disease related eye problems.

Thanks.

Barb

barbc56

On second reading, the title is somewhat misleading as it looks like the foundation is not just looking into eye problems as a diagnostic tool but also the impact of sight problems. I liked their statement that eye symptoms can sometimes be overlooked neglected when it comes to treatment when diagnosed with another condition. Symptoms such as photosensitivity are not to be taken lightly
dismissed.
Barb

Believe it or not, I didn't realize the above contained phrases related to light. Not sure if that would be considered a Freudian slip.

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
Is this related to the burning/blurriness in the eyes experienced by people taking interferon, as in HepC?

IOW, can ME/CFS cause a lot of interferon in the eyes, which produces the familiar symptoms? Trying aspirin as an anti-interferon measure didn't help me, though.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I developed 'age-related' macular degeneration at a rather early age. I do not know if it is related to ME/SEIDS.

SDSue

Southeast
Because ME/CFS involves neurological changes, it seems that the nerve fiber layer of the retina would be the best place to look. That happens to be exactly where these researchers found changes in the eyes of Parkinson's patients. Interesting. Full article here.

"The researchers conclude that contrast sensitivity and multifocal electroretinogram results are sensitive measures of visual functional impairment in patients Parkinson's disease, and can indicate subclinical visual dysfunction in the presence of normal visual acuity.

"A longitudinal study is needed to see if any of these can be used as biomarkers," said Dr Kaur. "It might tell us how the disease will progress."

These findings cannot be used to diagnose Parkinson's disease because many other conditions, such as multiple sclerosis, neuromyelitis optica, and Alzheimer's disease, can produce the same findings, she pointed out.

It is not a surprise that there was no significant difference in the macula between the Parkinson's group and the control group, said Eitan Rath, MD, from the Lin Eye Clinic in Haifa, Israel, who was not involved in the study."