• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SO Confused About My Health....

Changexpert

Hello everybody,

I am a 26 old Asian male. I have some health issues at the moment because of severe diet I went through about 8 years ago (lost +110 pounds). I've also gone through 4 surgeries with general anesthesia, and two of them were recent. All surgeries required antibiotics to prevent infection. I have some symptoms currently that require attention.

Symptoms
Constant fatigue
Can't sleep deeply
Hair loss
Indigestion, gas
Burping, phlegm right after eating
Foul smell in stool/gas
Cold yet sweaty hands/feet
White coated tongue
Irregular bowel movement
Severe itching/rash on the body
Leaky gut
Thyroid dysfunction

I have been reading many posts about methylation and sulfation (trans-sulfation?) cycle and watched several youtube videos on it. I just ordered a test kit from 23andme to see if I have any mutated genes, which I am pretty confident I will have a lot. Besides the symptoms I have mentioned above, I have tried many supplements over 2-3 years and found many interesting facts...

1. I am sensitive to sulfur
  • Negative reaction to vitamin B6, p5p, MSM, and taurine -> instant/more hair loss
  • Consistently smelly and bubbly urine -> high ammonia
  • Maybe mutated CBS problem?
Question 1a: even though I am sensitive to sulfur, I can tolerate Epsom salt which contains magnesium sulfate. I've tried Hulda Liver Flush protocol with 3 tbsp. of Epson salt in a day, and did not have any problem. Is magnesium sulfate different from any of the supplements I've mentioned above?

Question 1b: I have tried molybdenum in the past, but have not tried it for long time (3 days max). Would molybdenum help me with high ammonia issue? What other supplements would be good for "sulfur sensitivity?"

2. I am high in heavy metals, but not sure which ones. Most likely mercury because I used to eat canned tuna every day.
  • I believe this could be one reason why I have negative reactions to sulfur supplements mentioned above. I am going to try Cutler's protocol and start with DMSA to remove mercury. I do not have any amalgam fillings, only composite ones.
Question 2: Any gene mutation related to this?

3. I have histamine intolerance and have high lactic acid, maybe SIBO
  • Feels really groggy from exercise in general, especially morning work out -> high lactic acid production
  • Can't tolerate fermented foods very well (high histamine, produces lactic acid)
  • Have been supplementing a lot -> possible liver damage, even though my blood work shows liver enzyme levels are fine -> Poor liver function -> Hard to degrade histamine
Question 3: Any gene mutation related to this?

4. Gut flora is messed up because of antibiotics usage from past surgeries and acne
  • overproduction of mucus/phlegm, especially right after eating
  • Supplementing with regular probiotics and fermented foods worsened body rash/hair loss -> overproduction of lactic acid
Question 4a: Are there specific mutations that cause symptoms I mentioned that are related to digestion and lactic acid production?

Question 4b: I started taking resistant starch in a form of potato starch last week, but have not had any bloating or other negative reactions. Would butyrate supplement help me with gut dysbiosis?

5. I am very sensitive to mb12
  • Severe body rash/itching, even got pityriasis rosea from mb12
  • Inactive B12 was fine
Question 5a: Why am I getting these rashes and dry skin? :( Would ab12 help me in this situation?

Question 5b: My blood test result for B12 was on the high end of functional range after supplementing with 1,000 mcg of mb12 daily for 3 months. Does this signify anything?

6. My WBC folate level was within functional range on the low end even though I supplement with folic acid/folate
  • I have high MCV (98) and functional, but high MCH (32.8)
Question 6a: Would active B9 help me with rashes and methylation cycle?

Question 6b: Isn't high MCV and high MCH indication of folate deficiency? Can I be deficient even though I've been supplementing with folate? Maybe folates are replacing active B9 out of receptors as I read in other posts?

7. Vitamin D supplements, liquid or capsules, make me extremely jittery and cause muscle spasm even though my serum vitamin D 25 level is low and D 1,25 level is actually high.

• My calcium level was within the range and same for potassium
Question 7: Any gene mutation related to this?

I have many more concerns to cover, but did not want to bore you all to death. Please help me straighten my life... Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Vitamin D supplements, liquid or capsules, make me extremely jittery and cause muscle spasm even though my serum vitamin D 25 level is low and D 1,25 level is actually high.
Question 7: Any gene mutation related to this?

Just to respond to one small part of your post: Vit D 25 being low and D 1,25 high is a pattern often seen in ME/CFS patients. When the D 1,25 rises, calcium also often rises. Perhaps your muscle spasms are related to this. D 1,25 that is out of range high, could be potentially dangerous because of its relation to calcium, so you might want to check your calcium levels too.

Sushi

Changexpert

Just to respond to one small part of your post: Vit D 25 being low and D 1,25 high is a pattern often seen in ME/CFS patients. When the D 1,25 rises, calcium also often rises. Perhaps your muscle spasms are related to this. D 1,25 that is out of range high, could be potentially dangerous because of its relation to calcium, so you might want to check your calcium levels too.

Sushi
I thought it was the other way around actually. People with high 1,25 vit D level have deficiency of calcium. I have stopped drinking milk for at least two years now, so the majority of calcium source comes from cheese, which I do not eat very often. My blood calcium level was within the reference range, right in the middle actually. Could you share the reference or source you are referring to?

Changexpert

Vitamin D: VDR mutation? 23&me will tell you. Most of us are deficient in D.

Bowel:: consider a good probiotic and try zinc picolinate.
I tried probiotics and fermented foods route for 2 months. My health and digestive issues worsened at ridiculous rate during this time. I was also taking soil-based probiotics, and I had severe negative reactions to it. I find this so weird because many people find probiotics/fermented foods to help with their IBS or gut related issue.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Changexpert - just to respond to one other part of your post: it sounds almost certain that you have candida - the white tongue, itchy skin are classic symptoms, quite likely a result of all your antibiotics. I found coconut oil to be very effective in killing candida, although I had a very strong herx reaction to it which I had to weather. Someone recently recommended a product called Kolorex which is also supposed to be very effective against candida.

l-glutamine is supposed to be very effective for leaky gut, helping to heal the gut. It also made me detox when I first took it - it's used in phase II liver detoxification, but I now tolerate it just fine, so highly recommend this as well.

Also I think branched chain amino acids can help with overproduction of lactic acid - they have helped me, along with l-glutatamine, in lessening lactic acid production and PEM.

Changexpert

@Changexpert - just to respond to one other part of your post: it sounds almost certain that you have candida - the white tongue, itchy skin are classic symptoms, quite likely a result of all your antibiotics. I found coconut oil to be very effective in killing candida, although I had a very strong herx reaction to it which I had to weather. Someone recently recommended a product called Kolorex which is also supposed to be very effective against candida.

l-glutamine is supposed to be very effective for leaky gut, helping to heal the gut. It also made me detox when I first took it - it's used in phase II liver detoxification, but I now tolerate it just fine, so highly recommend this as well.

Also I think branched chain amino acids can help with overproduction of lactic acid - they have helped me, along with l-glutatamine, in lessening lactic acid production and PEM.
I might have candida overgrowth as I seem to have low stomach acid. I can take up to 6 pills of Betaine HCL without feeling any warmth in the stomach. I have been trying coconut oil for four months now, but it hasn't given me any positive effects in regards to gut or energy.

I also tried l-glutamine for two months to heal gut lining pretty recently. I realized that l-glutamine worsens my hair loss, so I stopped taking it altogether. I was taking at least 5 grams, up to 12 grams of l-glutamine per day.

Changexpert

A lot of people here don't do well with probiotics. I think you need a healthy gut first. I agree with Mary that it sounds likely that you have candida. I would recommend you read Caledonia's 4 steps to gut healing and try that protocol.
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/the-4r-gut-rebuilding-program-summary.25761/
I have been following all the protocols, except replace until quite recently. I realized that I was not producing enough stomach acid to digest food, which is very strange because I used to eat anything I want without any digestion issue two years ago. Eating probiotics, especially with FOS prebiotics was one protocol that caused major set backs for me. I would be very cautious of soil based probiotics as well, especially if you are experiencing chronic fatigue.

Gut health is so hard to treat because there is no one size fits all answer. Currently, I am trying out parasite cleanse, using wormwood, black walnut, and cloves tincture to kill all the parasites. I am also planning on doing psyllium husk and bentonite clay shake as a colon cleanser. Maybe if I know what mutation I have specifically, I can come up with a better plan for this healing journey.

Hello everybody,

I am a 26 old Asian male. I have some health issues at the moment because of severe diet I went through about 8 years ago (lost +110 pounds). I've also gone through 4 surgeries with general anesthesia, and two of them were recent. All surgeries required antibiotics to prevent infection. I have some symptoms currently that require attention.

Symptoms
Constant fatigue
Can't sleep deeply
Hair loss
Indigestion, gas
Burping, phlegm right after eating
Foul smell in stool/gas
Cold yet sweaty hands/feet
White coated tongue
Irregular bowel movement
Severe itching/rash on the body
Leaky gut
Thyroid dysfunction

1. I am sensitive to sulfur
  • Negative reaction to vitamin B6, p5p, MSM, and taurine -> instant/more hair loss
  • Consistently smelly and bubbly urine -> high ammonia
  • Maybe mutated CBS problem?
Question 1a: even though I am sensitive to sulfur, I can tolerate Epsom salt which contains magnesium sulfate. I've tried Hulda Liver Flush protocol with 3 tbsp. of Epson salt in a day, and did not have any problem. Is magnesium sulfate different from any of the supplements I've mentioned above?

Question 1b: I have tried molybdenum in the past, but have not tried it for long time (3 days max). Would molybdenum help me with high ammonia issue? What other supplements would be good for "sulfur sensitivity?"

. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

When people talk about sulfur sensitivity in relation to mercury poisoning, what they really mean is thiol sensitivity. Thiols are sulfhydryl bonds (sulfur-hydrogen) which are found in proteins, enzymes and DNA. The sulfate in magnesium is not a thiol, so it wouldn't cause a problem if you are sensitive to thiols.

Your symptoms are consistent with mercury poisoning. You might benefit from a diet restricting thiols -
http://www.livingnetwork.co.za/chelationnetwork/food/high-sulfur-sulphur-food-list/

Mercury also messes up the gut flora.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Changexpert - one more thing you might try for candida is Kolorex. A practitioner recently told me it's more effective than coconut oil, although I had very good results with coconut oil. I know, it's more money possibly down the drain. Wish there was an easy answer for you.

Maybe you should try a much smaller dose of glutamine for gut health - you were taking a lot. I'm taking 2 grams a day with no problem and it seems to be very good for me.

One other suggestion - chiropractors who do muscle testing have helped me a lot with digestive issues. They helped me sort out my liver (had to do a major cleanse), added HCL, helped my gallbladder, just all aspects of my digestive system. They were able to help pin down exactly what was going on. It's relatively inexpensive. One way to find someone is to go the Standard Process website - they have a search feature for practitioners who use their products and hence usually do muscle testing.

Changexpert

When people talk about sulfur sensitivity in relation to mercury poisoning, what they really mean is thiol sensitivity. Thiols are sulfhydryl bonds (sulfur-hydrogen) which are found in proteins, enzymes and DNA. The sulfate in magnesium is not a thiol, so it wouldn't cause a problem if you are sensitive to thiols.

Your symptoms are consistent with mercury poisoning. You might benefit from a diet restricting thiols -
http://www.livingnetwork.co.za/chelationnetwork/food/high-sulfur-sulphur-food-list/

Mercury also messes up the gut flora.
Is there anything you recommend for mercury?

Last edited:

Changexpert

@Changexpert - one more thing you might try for candida is Kolorex. A practitioner recently told me it's more effective than coconut oil, although I had very good results with coconut oil. I know, it's more money possibly down the drain. Wish there was an easy answer for you.

Maybe you should try a much smaller dose of glutamine for gut health - you were taking a lot. I'm taking 2 grams a day with no problem and it seems to be very good for me.

One other suggestion - chiropractors who do muscle testing have helped me a lot with digestive issues. They helped me sort out my liver (had to do a major cleanse), added HCL, helped my gallbladder, just all aspects of my digestive system. They were able to help pin down exactly what was going on. It's relatively inexpensive. One way to find someone is to go the Standard Process website - they have a search feature for practitioners who use their products and hence usually do muscle testing.
Hmm never tried chiropractors. I will definitely give it a try.

Hey man, it's been some time since you posted but i wanted to check, were you able to figure out causes/solutions to these issues? I've been having some similar symptoms recently and have found some things that helped, but not quite fixed. Any updates on how you're doing?