• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vitamin C and Mercury

hi, I recently tried taking vitamin C 1000mg to start prepping for chelation but I've had no luck with any supplements. Selenium caused my terrible psychological symptoms to return, ALA made things worse as well (this was before I had pieces together the puzzle that mercury was my issue), vitamin c is causing psychological/cognitive symptoms, vitamin e wasn't much better.

I guess my question is, can these supplements cause Mercury to be redistributed (aside from ALA which is a yes if not taken properly)? I'm on a low thiol diet and eat healthy otherwise.

Changexpert

Based on Andy Cutler's chelation theory, only supplements that have two thiol molecules (di-thiol) can safely chelate heavy metals out of body. On the other hand, supplements that have one thiol moeclue (monothiol) can only move mercury around, but is very inefficient at holding onto the heavy metal. Think of it as a clamp. You need two clamps (thiols) to hold onto an object (heavy metal). When chelating agent loses grasp of heavy metals, the metals are free to bounce around, redistributing themselves in the place that chelator brought them. This is why Cutler suggests chelating 3 days straight using half-life of the chelating agent to maximize their ability to hold onto the heavy metals until the metals are out of the body.

Di-thiol supplements include ALA, DMSA, and DMPS and monothiol supplements include chlorella, cilantro, and others. EDTA is also good at chelating, but it does not attract mercury strongly at all.

Some people say Cutler's theory is not right and many doctors actually promote chlorella as a good heavy metal chelator. I actually have never tried chelating heavy metals, so I can't make any assessment. One thing I know for sure is that many supplements known as heavy metal chelators are usually high in sulfur (thiol), so if you have sulfur sensitivity like I do, chelation can do more harm than good.

Changexpert

Selenium is supposed to bind with Mercury. Recently it was discovery that the mercury in fish isn't toxic as long as the fish contains more selenium than mercury, since mercury binds to selenium.

Have you looked into Dr. Cutler's chelation protocol?

http://www.regardingcaroline.com/andycutler2.html
Just to clarify, Dr. in this context is not physician doctor by the way. Andy got his phd in biochemistry from Princeton, so he does not hold a medical degree.

I am very familiar with Cutler's protocol, which is why I'm struggling. He recommends being on Vit C, E and Zinc and Magnesium before beginning chelation. It just seems that nothing that is supposed to be making my body happy is doing so. That's why I'm so confused. I'm eating INCREDIBLY well and took thiols out of my diet too. I'm going to try DMSA at a VERY low dose (1 mg) to see what happens.

Another concern of mine is Lyme Disease. I was tested for CD57 and mine was at 34 when the range is 60-360. The test I had done though was Abs CD8-CD57+ Lymph and I don't know if that's the proper CD57. I also have read about skepticism on whether CD57 is a good indicator for Lyme or not...

sillysocks84

I am very familiar with Cutler's protocol, which is why I'm struggling. He recommends being on Vit C, E and Zinc and Magnesium before beginning chelation. It just seems that nothing that is supposed to be making my body happy is doing so. That's why I'm so confused. I'm eating INCREDIBLY well and took thiols out of my diet too. I'm going to try DMSA at a VERY low dose (1 mg) to see what happens.

Another concern of mine is Lyme Disease. I was tested for CD57 and mine was at 34 when the range is 60-360. The test I had done though was Abs CD8-CD57+ Lymph and I don't know if that's the proper CD57. I also have read about skepticism on whether CD57 is a good indicator for Lyme or not...
Any more progress with chelating?

Any more progress with chelating?

Sort of...I'm on cutler' protocol and have found forms of C, E, zinc and mag that all agree with me. But I'm still struggling quite a bit. I'm at 6.25 mg ALA and 6.25 mg DMSA and on round 13. I'm gotten a little worse though not due to the protocol. I feel the affect the chelator a have on me so I'm going to keep chugging. I'm also on minocycline to see if it helped at all. It didn't but now when I stop taking it I have terrible knee pain so I'm going to continue on it for a while and see what happens. I have a very long road ahead of me...

Try adding Vit D3 as its cofactors are zinc, magnesium, Vit A, K2 & boron. One forumer posted that Vit A assists in carrying iron to requisite place for haemoglobin production which means greater healing for your knees. When I added Vit K2 & boron, my joint pains decreased & my facial skin tone was grey but now glowed.