• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BBC Radio 5 Live Sleep Expert Uses SEID (Over ME/CFS)

CantThink

This surprised/shocked me.:wide-eyed:

I was just listening to BBC Radio 5, and they have a regular guest who is a sleep doctor on. At 00.40 a lady called in about her daughter who she said has CFS, and sleep issues...

When the presenter asked the sleep expert about CFS, he said something like: you told us the correct name for CFS....
Expert: yes, SEID (he pronounced it SEED). Systemic Exercise Intolerance Disease... Then corrected to Exertion (!!... A lot of us predicted people are going to confuse exertion with exercise).

SOC

I find it a bit unfortunate that the expert automatically assumed that person had SEID just because the were diagnosed in the UK with CFS. It is not an automatic switch CFS=SEID, especially if Fukuda or Oxford were used in the diagnosis.

Nevertheless, I appreciate the he is trying to raise awareness.

Last edited:

CantThink

They have mistakenly said disorder instead of disease on one channel here.

@Mij

He might have said disorder - hmmm! I was so shocked, as I didn't expect the term to be adopted here so quickly (or necessarily at all). I was trying to take it in but I'm really trying to sleep (as usual) so I might have missed the disorder versus disease.

charles shepherd

Was this Professor Jim Horne - who takes an interest in ME/CFS? Professor Horne also came to the MRC workshop in Oxford that was organised by the MRC Expert Group on ME/CFS.

Cheshire

Was this Professor Jim Horne - who takes an interest in ME/CFS? Professor Horne also came to the MRC workshop in Oxford that was organised by the MRC Expert Group on ME/CFS.

Yes
upload_2015-2-24_11-6-56.png

The programm can be listened to there
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0536ksc

CantThink

It was apparently. I felt it was good that he fairly reflected the disease to the general public and being a professor, his opinion counted (or should count).