• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Online Vigil to Remember Vanessa

Ember

In memory of Vanessa Yeuk Lin Li
Dear friends of Vanessa,

We would like to thank everyone who attended Vanessa’s memorial service yesterday in Hong Kong and helped to remember and celebrate her life.

As was announced at the service, we now know that Vanessa took her own life. We discovered a note addressed to her family on her email account several days after her death. We are sorry for leaving some of you in the dark until now but we thought it most appropriate to announce the news at Vanessa’s memorial service.

Here are a few messages that Vanessa wished to share with you all.

For Vanessa, the pain from ME was impossible to describe. She could not go on anymore, not like this without any cure. It was too painful. She felt that ending her life was simply a practical solution.

She wanted the world to know that she ended her own life and she wanted her death to serve something. She wanted to spread awareness of the truth about ME, and the lack of research into the illness as a result of neglect from medical authorities worldwide.

She wanted her body to be donated for the purpose of researching ME. We have already arranged for this to happen.

Lastly, she wished to say sorry to all her friends, to whom her passing comes as a shock.

We would also like to announce that an online vigil to remember Vanessa will be held at 1pm US Eastern time on Wednesday 18th February, where a video of the memorial service will be played live. You will have a chance to share your memories of Vanessa with all those who have been touched by her. Further details of this online vigil will follow.

Praying for peace in your hearts,

The Li Family.

Last edited:

justinreilly

Dear M.E. Community:

Karen Goode is planning a "virual vigil" for Vanessa Li for TOMORROW and she still NEEDS HELP with several tasks such as editing images of Vanessa, posting things to the vigil facebook (or other site) page (not up yet) before and during the "vigil" and help with uploading video and opening and moderating the live chat.

The vigil will consist of a viewing of Vanessa's memorial service and some means to share your memories of Vanessa, most probably by IM chat.

It is scheduled for tomorrow, Weds, 1pm EST, but could be pushed back if we don't get enough help.

PLEASE PM me and Karen if you can help (preferably on Facebook, but if you don't have a fb, you can PM me here). Please also share this message. Thank you!

Iquitos

"She wanted her body to be donated for the purpose of researching ME. We have already arranged for this to happen."

Is there some way, some place where any of us could donate our bodies to ME research?

Thanks to the Li family and thanks to Vanessa for all she did for us.

May her death have some kind of impact on those who could and can do better in finding the cause and treatment of this damned disease. It might help those of us who haven't yet taken the same step.

Gingergrrl

Is there some way, some place where any of us could donate our bodies to ME research?

@Iquitos I was wondering about this as well and if there is a way to specify in your will that you would like this to occur? To clarify, I know you could write it in a will and tell your family of your wishes, but how is it executed? Are there doctors or scientists doing this research now? If anyone had specific info, that would be great. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Streamed live on Feb 18, 2015
Welcome to those of you joining us in Vanessa Li’s virtual vigil. The Li family has so graciously provided this prerecorded video of Vanessa’s Memorial Service as well as her beautiful Memorial Video Montage that took place in Hong Kong on Feb 16, 2015. The chat room is visible on this YouTube page to the right (or below) of the video box that will broadcast the service. The memorial service and chat room are scheduled to broadcast live on Feb 18, 2015 at 1:00 PM Eastern, 10:00 AM Pacific, and 6:00 PM London.

One must not be a YouTube subscriber to view the service; however, in order to post in the Comments box below, one must have a YouTube account. To signup for YouTube, please click here: https://accounts.google.com/SignUpWit...

The chat room is available for use only for Google Plus subscribers, which can be enabled through the same YouTube/Google account.

All comments will be moderated, and we ask that all posters abide by the following guidelines for use of the Google Plus chat room and the YouTube Comments section. If you cannot accept the terms of these conditions, then please refrain from commenting in chat and in Comments. In keeping with the tone of the memorial service, comments should be respectful to Vanessa and her family. The comments that will be deleted include those that use inflammatory language (i.e., cursing, expletives, etc.). Debates should not be conducted here, so please use an appropriate forum for debates. Any user who repeatedly violates these terms will be banned from chat and/or Comments. We appreciate your cooperation.

This prerecorded memorial service is being broadcast publicly. People who can see your posts on public chat and Comments include members of the Li family, the M.E. community, the public, and even news reporters. People can post here anonymously so there is no way to know who some of them are. Please keep this in mind before you post. The family does not wish for anybody to report on Vanessa's service, with the exception of bloggers in the M.E. community.

Last but not least, If you are in crisis or know somebody who is, please call or share: 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or visit www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Sushi

Video Broadcast postponed for technical reasons:
Dear friends of Vanessa,

The entire video for Vanessa’s memorial service will now be ready for a broadcast on Friday 20 February 1pm US Eastern Time (i.e. Friday 20 February 6pm GMT / Saturday 21 February 2am HK time).

We are sorry that there is such a delay. We encountered difficulties in getting an intact video file from the church venue and some difficulties in formatting the video. It has been an extremely tough 14 hours of working on the video and there have many challenges at each step.

However, we are happy that we can soon show you the entire service in a format that best honours Vanessa. We hope that you will find the delay has been worth the wait as it will help you to better remember Vanessa and her cause for M.E.

A new youtube link will also be sent out. Thank you so much for your concern for Vanessa and for the cause of M.E.

Best wishes,

the Li family

Gingergrrl

@Sushi thank you for letting us know that the video of Vanessa's service has been postponed.

Thank you to the Li family for sharing the service and program with us and it is such a loving gesture. Please take your time and do not stress about when it is ready. We are here whenever that time may be.

I just read through the entire program and was so touched by all the comments at the end showing how much Vanessa had impacted the lives of those around her, including many here on PR. Thank you for sharing her poetry with us as well. She had many talents.

Sushi

Today at 1 pm Eastern time:

In memory of Vanessa Yeuk Lin Li

Dear friends,

The Youtube live event of Vanessa’s memorial service is now ready for broadcast on Friday 20 February 1pm US Eastern Time (i.e. Friday 20 February 6pm GMT / Saturday 21 February 2am HK time).

Youtube live event link:

The Memorial Service Programme can be downloaded from:https://drive.google.com/…/0B8ULvnqZonsfdlNtZFFycDZoU…/view…

Facebook Memorial Page: https://www.facebook.com/vanessali19812015

God bless all of you,

The Li Family

Sushi

It looks like they have disabled the chat function for this broadcast. If any PR members are watching and would like to have "company," the chat room here is available, just sign into chat in the lower right hand corner of the screen and click on the "people" icon.

Jeremy should be opening chat and Comments on YouTube at 1 pm Eastern. There will be a "welcome" message, and then feel free to pay respects.

Sushi

Patients should actually create a Google account beforehand to participate in the chat room, which will be located to the right (or underneath) of the memorial service viewing box.
I have a Google account but wonder if there will be a prompt to sign into it on the Youtube event or if chat will work if you are signed into Google elsewhere?

Sushi

Can you login to the Virtual Vigil for Vanessa Li YouTube page
and refresh your screen? Is it not showing up for you?