• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12 Dosage

gracee41

For those taking B12, how much do you take daily? I know there is no upper limit dosage, but I've read where some folks with MTHFR need as much as 10,000mcgs. My B12 level was low normal a few months ago. However, I know that serum B12 tests are not always accurate. There is no doubt I needed B12 because I felt SO much better when I started taking it.

I currently take 5000-6000mcgs of hydroxy B12 daily. My feet tingle constantly and feel like they are asleep a lot of the time. I don't know if I need to take more or less. My doctor was shocked I was taking so much and told me that wasn't good. I also take 600mcgs of methylfolate daily.

There are definite negative side effects from taking too much b12. It affects your nervous system and can cause falling.

PeterPositive

For those taking B12, how much do you take daily? I know there is no upper limit dosage, but I've read where some folks with MTHFR need as much as 10,000mcgs. My B12 level was low normal a few months ago. However, I know that serum B12 tests are not always accurate. There is no doubt I needed B12 because I felt SO much better when I started taking it.
I take around 10mg (= 10.000mcg) of MB12 and 8mg Adeno-B12. I got there slowly over the course of 3 years. At the moment I am not seeing improvements pushing the dosage higher and I will probably settle for a lower dosage. Probably the sweet spot for me is between 5 and 10mg/day.

I currently take 5000-6000mcgs of hydroxy B12 daily. My feet tingle constantly and feel like they are asleep a lot of the time. I don't know if I need to take more or less. My doctor was shocked I was taking so much and told me that wasn't good. I also take 600mcgs of methylfolate daily.

I suppose you're taking 5-6mg orally? It shouldn't be much of a shock. Oral and sublingual forms are absorbed at a much lower rate, maybe 1/10th of what you ingest really gets in your system.

Do you also take the other Bs? They are very important for the methylation cycle, especially B2, B3 and B6.

cheers

PeterPositive

There are definite negative side effects from taking too much b12. It affects your nervous system and can cause falling.
I've never heard such thing. B12 is the least toxic water soluble vitamin, even at higher doses. There might be side effects for sensitive people, no doubt. But "falling" it's not commonly recognized as a symptom of excess B12.

It can definitely over-stimulate the nervous system but that's not a "toxicity" effect, and it is more common with the methyl-B12 form which crosses the blood brain barrier. Starting with a low dosage (e.g. 50mcg) is usually sufficient to avoid any problem.

cheers

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
For those taking B12, how much do you take daily? My feet tingle constantly and feel like they are asleep a lot of the time. I don't know if I need to take more or less. My doctor was shocked I was taking so much and told me that wasn't good. I also take 600mcgs of methylfolate daily.

For me, tingling in the limbs (usually arms) a sign that I need more B12. I think it's called peripheral neuropathy. I don't know about tingling feet or the details of your cnodition. I did not personally have much effect from HydroxyB12 - but Methyl and Adeno produce strong healing effects. I have never read that a certain amount of B12 can be toxic.