• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Amy Yasko's protocol

I am new to this forum and am looking for some general information. I have been studying Amy Yasko's program and am making good progress but finding it very complicated. Is it worth taking the time to learn her program or do you recommend other programs that deal with genetic defects (SNP) that might be better? Do the members of this forum support the information that she is providing?

Valentijn

@wscholder - Yasko's primary business is selling supplements, and she seems to be giving advice which maximizes the amount being bought, often with little or no scientific basis for that advice.

Generally speaking, it would depend on what the "defects" are, and whether or not they are actually defects.

@wscholder - Yasko's primary business is selling supplements, and she seems to be giving advice which maximizes the amount being bought, often with little or no scientific basis for that advice.

Generally speaking, it would depend on what the "defects" are, and whether or not they are actually defects.

@Valentijn - Please describe the approach that you would recommend if not Yasko's protocol or provide links. Is it necessary to do testing to determine any SNPs? How does nutrition fit into the picture?

Valentijn

@Valentijn - Please describe the approach that you would recommend if not Yasko's protocol or provide links. Is it necessary to do testing to determine any SNPs? How does nutrition fit into the picture?
I'm not sure what your goal is. If you just want to give methylation protocols a try, there are several varieties.

My own suggestion would be to look up the research regarding your SNPs, or anyone's claims, and read that research to determine how to deal with your results or health concerns. Or ask a doctor :)

I'm not sure what your goal is. If you just want to give methylation protocols a try, there are several varieties.

My own suggestion would be to look up the research regarding your SNPs, or anyone's claims, and read that research to determine how to deal with your results or health concerns. Or ask a doctor :)

@Valentijn - I have been trying to understand methylation in general when I came across Yasko's protocol. I have looked into Methionine and believe that many people take in an excess (more than 2 grams) and need to balance with other amino acids such as glycine. One of my goals was to try and understand how to enhance glutathione production. It seems that our main source should come from Homocysteine and not supplements such as whey protein or NAC. You say that there are several varieties of methylation protocols available. Could you recommend your favorite ones and do you believe that it is necessary to test for genetic defects? Are the tests for genetic defects reliable in general?