• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone worked with Dr. Gary Kaplan in no. Virginia?

If anyone has experience working with Dr. Gary Kaplan at the Kaplan Clinic in McLean, VA (http://www.kaplanclinic.com/), I would be very interested to hearing about your experience. He seems to have an understanding of CFS/ME, but is expensive so I would like to see how others have done working with him before I make an appointment. Thanks!

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I looked at his site and didn't see anything about ME/Cfs except sbout the IOM decision. Did I miss something? Why do you think he had expertise?

I looked at his site and didn't see anything about ME/Cfs except sbout the IOM decision. Did I miss something? Why do you think he had expertise?
I watched the 3 videos on his website where he explains CFS/ME and describes the patients he sees in his clinic. His office says he works with lots of people with CFS/ME, but I'd like to hear for some of them if possible.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I can't sit through a 20 minute video but the one thing that bothers me is he keeps calling it Chronic Fatigue. Not Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I know that's nit picking but it bothers me.

I think if no one here has commented about him, then you have your answer. His Yelp reviews are meh.

What did he say his treatment protocol is?

On the 3rd video, he says he works up individual treatment plans that address multiple factors for each individual (antivirals where applicable, detox, nutrition, sleep, etc., and his book is heavy on treatments to downregulate excited microglia in the brain). He admits his clinic is successful in recovering about half the patients in the population of CFS/ME sufferers who have had it a long time and have been through many other doctors and clinics before getting to him, and implies he's more successful in those caught earlier in the course of the disease.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Well if course he's going to brag about his success rate. And most people know early intervention is key.

I find his claims of recovering 1/2 the Cfs/me population suspect.

I'm a cynic though so take my comments with a grain of salt, but if he's so good how come no one here has heard of him?

Sing

Dr. Kaplan was one of the most outspoken members of the P2P Committee, I thought. A non-colluder. It seemed that whenever the committee was straying towards collusion with the powers that be, either Dr. Fletcher or Dr. Kaplan would speak up and restore a better direction for us. I hadn't heard of him before so googled him and discovered his clinic in Virginia. There may not be much of great interest on that website but from his participation in P2P, my impression was that he had gotten the picture.

Sing

That's helpful information, but it dates back, and hopefully he has been more cued in since participating on CFSAC and the P2P Committee. I don't know, just saying I appreciated his comments and motions in that process. Where the heck is the final P2P report anyway?