• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

FDA Commissioner Dr. Margaret Hamburg to Step Down

Wally

Medscape Medical News
FDA Commissioner Dr Margaret Hamburg to Step Down
February 05, 2015

Margaret Hamburg, MD, commissioner of the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), announced today that she is resigning after almost 6 years in her post. Dr Hamburg will leave the agency at the end of March. . . . Stephen Ostroff, MD, the FDA's chief scientist, will fill the commissioner's position until a new appointee is named.
Click here to read more - http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/839300

Wally

Is she one of the good people or is this potentially a good thing for the CFS community?

GG
@ggingues,
I don't know anything about Dr. Hamburg, I just thought it was a newsworthy item for the ME/CFS community to be aware of. However, it appears from information in the article that not everyone was sad to see her leave this post.
Diana Zuckerman, PhD, president of the consumer-oriented National Center for Health Research, said Dr Hamburg understands the agency's public health mission, unlike some of her predecessors, who were focused more on speedy approvals and less on protecting the public from harmful or ineffective products.

"I think she has been an important voice for safety and trying to maintain that balance," Dr Zuckerman told Medscape Medical News. . . .

"I think Hamburg's resignation is a real loss, . . .

In contrast to Dr Zuckerman's overall assessment of Dr Hamburg, the consumer watchdog group Public Citizen gave the outgoing FDA commissioner a poor review.

"Her pending resignation ends a 6-year period of weak and ineffective leadership," said Michael Carome, MD, director of the group's health research group. . . .
See, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/839300