• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone else with a clearly identifiable trigger?

msf

I though a straw poll might lead to some interesting results.

What I mean by this is: a). did you have specific symptoms of a particular disease when you first fell ill? b.) did you have a positive test for active infection/active disease process with the same disease?

I had the classic Yersinia Enterocolitica symptoms when I fell ill: false appendicitis, mesenteric lymphadenitis, and exudative pharyngitis. Shortly after I developed Reiter's Triad.

A few months later I tested both IgG and IgA positive (indicating active infection) to Yersinia. Several months after that I tested positive to Yersinia by LTT.

msf

Oh, I didn't do this as a poll because I thought a detailed answer might be more illuminating.

Vic

Partially torn pec major. Then damaged SI joint, then tore something in front of hip. All on right side. @ 24 years old.

Had a big flu-like illness when I was 10 that lasted several weeks. After that was never very energetic. Actually, could be energetic in bursts or when I was really excited, but my endurance, attention and senses sucked, especially when there was a lot going on. Was fairly Aspergery.

halcyon

My trigger was an acute enterovirus infection, later determined to be echovirus 30.

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
After enormous stress I had a bad cold, including for the first time ever: both ears completely blocked. I'd never had even one ear blocked before. Now when my ear canals hurt, I know I'm getting sick.

Three months later, I had what I believe was viral myocarditis.

ahmo

Immediate precipitant: "heat stroke" + stress. Preceded 3.5 years earlier by some sort of viral illness which pushed me into being "chronically fatigued" and begin seeking answers.

Sherlock

Partially torn pec major. Then damaged SI joint, then tore something in front of hip. All on right side. @ 24 years old.
Did you happen to have any fluoroquinolone antibiotics before that, Vic? Some have a boxed warning on tendon rupture.

Vic

Did you happen to have any fluoroquinolone antibiotics before that, Vic? Some have a boxed warning on tendon rupture.
No. I don't think I've ever taken anti-biotics. Maybe some anti-fungal cream. Oh I did take Tetracycline for a few weeks to help acne but I wasn't consistent with it and stopped. That was sometime in my teens though I think.

That's interesting never heard of tendon rupture problems. Do famciclovir or valacyclovir have that same problem?

Sherlock

No. I don't think I've ever taken anti-biotics. Maybe some anti-fungal cream. Oh I did take Tetracycline for a few weeks to help acne but I wasn't consistent with it and stopped. That was sometime in my teens though I think.

That's interesting never heard of tendon rupture problems. Do famciclovir or valacyclovir have that same problem?
I would guess not. I believe that the fluoroquinolone problem occurs because it binds to Mg.

melamine

Mine started with EBV/mono symptoms + symptoms of mild encephalitis. Because I did not seek Dx until a few months later, I never got a Dx. My post-viral symptoms might have been best characterized as chronic post-encephalitis for the first 18 years, from which time a variety of new symptoms began or worsened following several specific events and infections, but nothing that was diagnosed as a specific disease or tested for a specific pathogen at the time of acute infection. Later testing did show certain pathogens present at chronic levels: EBV, all coxsacki Bs and Adenovirus. Candida also appeared to be a problem by then.

msf

When you say Mono, CantThink, did you test positive for acute infection (IgM, Monospot) at the time? I ask because I also thought I had all the symptoms of mono, when it was actually Yersiniosis.

msf

Halycon, I don't know much about enteroviruses, are there any specific symptoms, and did you have any of these?

CantThink

When you say Mono, CantThink, did you test positive for acute infection (IgM, Monospot) at the time? I ask because I also thought I had all the symptoms of mono, when it was actually Yersiniosis.

I don't know what test they used (it was a blood test) as it was back in 1991 and I was a child, but I tested positive on the blood test for acute infection of mono.

What is Yersiniosis? How does one contract it?

msf

If it was the old one, that was less specific than the new one , I think. Yersinosis is caused by Yersinia Enterocolitica and Pseudotuberculosis, and the typical manifestations are gastroenteritis and reactive arthritis.

Kati

Patient in training
image.jpg
IgM positive, IgG negative Epstein Barr virus in Nov 2008, following saliva exposure from a patient (I was a nurse)

msf

Wow Kati, that sounds fairly unequivocal...have you tried any antivirals, or been tested for EBV since then?

dancer

EBV/Mono (positive mono spot and the EBV titers that indicated "recent infection") although our best guess was that it was reactivation (since I was in my mid-40s, and likely had EBV or mono as a child/youth). The odd thing was that I'd been sick for six months before they tested for mono, (tests had focused on cardiac issues) and I thought it strange that the mono spot was still positive after six months of several EBV/mono symptoms.

Kati

Patient in training
Wow Kati, that sounds fairly unequivocal...have you tried any antivirals, or been tested for EBV since then?
I got EBV titers couple times, with mixed results, and about 18 months ago my HHV-6 titers were high, and I also have a problem with shingles. Valcyte has not been helpful but when I ran out for 10 days I felt much, much worse. I wonder if an IV version of Valcyte would have better penetration.