• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fecal Transplant DIYers

Thomas

@globalpilot was your donor a family member? I did a fecal transplant in August 2012 under Dr. Bradstreet's protocol. We screened a friend who came up clear. In hindsight I wish I had never done it. My ME got worse 3 weeks later and has continued to decline. I can't say for sure it was the transplant that caused this, but I can't say that it wasn't either.

Can someone post DIY instructions, the tests you need, etc?

I am interested in this and have access to really healthy donors raised on organic diets, minimum pesticide exposure and a traditional diet.

I am ailing for years now, suffering from tons of ailments.

SB_1108

Santino

Hello SB_1108

I will receive FMT in Taymount clinic in May for many illnesses: Autoimmune issues, food allergies/intolerances, depression/brainfog.

I tried nearly everything what is out there. various diets, leaky gut repair, everything. Problem is, that I can´t tolerate most supplements and foods. So my ability to test things out is very restricted.

may question is if you did any further approaches with FMT or if you had long term benefits of it?

And:

What diet did you follow during FMT? Did you use any prebiotics?

Best regards,

Santino

Hello SB_1108

I will receive FMT in Taymount clinic in May for many illnesses: Autoimmune issues, food allergies/intolerances, depression/brainfog.

I tried nearly everything what is out there. various diets, leaky gut repair, everything. Problem is, that I can´t tolerate most supplements and foods. So my ability to test things out is very restricted.

may question is if you did any further approaches with FMT or if you had long term benefits of it?

And:

Best regards,

Santino

I didn't know you could opt for FMT if you had those issues, I thought they weren't approved until you had a life-threatening illness...

My situation is similar to yours, I'm very sensitive.

I think the most crucial part is finding a super healthy donor! Someone with good constitution, healthy organic diet and no use of anti-biotics, otherwise it is a pretty useless thing.

Regarding Diet, you should ask the clinic! They'd know best but this is what I have found:
"
  • Decide if you are going to do a bowel-washout (lavage) or not. This is not mandatory, opinions differ. The goal of a washout is to minimise the amount of old poop present at the time of infusion of the new poop. Fasting or low-fibre liquid diets can also achieve this.
    • Go on a low fibre diet for 2 weeks prior to FMT.
      • If you suffer from food intolerances and react to the donor’s food, use less FMT or ask your donor to modify their diet. A little used frequently is better than a lot used occasionally.
      • A high fiber diet will help grow your new microbiota, but don’t overdo it. If you have food intolerances don’t try anything that isn’t a known safe food, for at least 3 months after FMT and then only introduce slowly. Not all fibers agree with all people. Experiment until you find the right one.
      Read the rest here and here

Santino

Hello Living ith fibro. Thank you for trying to help me but there is no need to help me about FMT. I know everything about it what is published and spoke to some professionals who are doing research for many illnesses.

My question just is regarding the experience of any people who did fmt like SB_1108...

SB_1108

Hello SB_1108

And:

Best regards,

Santino

Hi @Santino - Sorry I'm just responding... I took a break from Phoenix Rising for a while. I actually did two more FMTs recently. I always feel like they are helpful. I hate to be so graphic about the FMTs but for me there was definitely an improvement in consistency and smell. I would say with diet and FMTs, its almost a remission from IBS. Not a cure from ME/CFS though!

I try to maintain a paleo/SCD/Low FODMAP diet. But I can't say that I'm that strict about it. I definitely don't eat dairy, gluten or sugar. I don't take prebiotics because I have SIBO (and prebiotics are contraindicated for those with SIBO). I've tried treating the SIBO with prescription and herbal antibiotics but like you said, I'm very sensitive to supplements. So the FMTs haven't cured my SIBO but I'm about to try Low Dose Naltrexone at the advice of my Naturopath because that is supposed to prevent SIBO and reduce ME/CFS/Fibromyalgia symptoms.

renski

I'm going to try this at home, using my mum as a donor. She is healthy but will do some routine tests to I'm living with chronic insomnia (can only sleep with prescription meds), chronic depression and anxiety, abdominal pain, loss of taste/smell, fullness after eating some foods, chronic brain fog, white tongue, drugged/drunk feeling, mind racing, ringing in ears, heart racing, etc. Most of this started when I was using Candibactin AR last September and have gradually deteriorated since. I had depression/anxiety/some insomnia before this but everything became much worse after using the antimicrobial. At the time I was taking it with probiotics for several months without any major issues (except it gave me constipation), then I stopped using the probiotics for a week or so and that's when the anxiety/depression/insomnia all became much worse. I would stop taking the supplement and restart it a week or two later and find most of my symptoms would go away but it would only last a few days before things deteriorated again. I've tried antibiotics with some relief from the insomnia but I relapsed a few weeks ago while going through a stressful event. I can't take any probiotics, they all make my insomnia worse, or give some other intolerable side effect. I struggle to take any other supplements (for methylation or whatever), I feel constantly wired that it doesn't take much to add to that.

Last edited:

MaximilianKohler

I've done this with 5 different donors. #1 factor is donor quality. The difference between a good & bad donor is tremendous. I've been following this area of research very closely and put a bunch of info here on it: https://www.reddit.com/r/HumanMicrobiome/wiki - including DIY info, safety, testing, donor screening/selection, etc..

I would advise against Taymount at the moment. It looks like their donors are low quality: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...linic-for-fecal-transplant.38329/#post-875078

Hip

I've done this with 5 different donors. #1 factor is donor quality. The difference between a good & bad donor is tremendous. I've been following this area of research very closely and put a bunch of info here on it: https://www.reddit.com/r/HumanMicrobiome/wiki - including DIY info, safety, testing, donor screening/selection, etc..

Thanks for the link, MaximilianKohler, I will have a good look at it shortly. Did you get any improvements in your ME/CFS symptoms after your fecal transplants?

SB_1108

I'm the original poster on this thread and I just thought I would follow up.
I definitely feel that FMT are one of the more promising therapies for ME but with that being said, it was not a cure for me. I made significant improvements after multiple rounds of transplants but I was never able to achieve remission. I tried to continue modifying my bacteria by treating SIBO but unfortunately that just made my symptoms worse. I continued various probiotics and herbal/prescription antibiotics and really became sicker each time. I've never been able to reachieve the same positive results. I've moved on to other experimental therapies. I will say that FMT really did help for some time... but ultimately there just seems to be something else that is keeping the microbiome from healing.

MaximilianKohler

@Hip I got improvements from all of them, but the low quality donors have much less benefits and only temporary. I'm convinced that if I can find a good enough donor for long enough, it will not only cure me but would be able to get me from bedridden, borderline dead, to professional athlete level of health.

@SB_1108 my opinion is that you just haven't found a good enough donor.

MaximilianKohler

Low quality donors give mild to moderate short-term improvements. High quality donors give "severe" improvements.

On a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the best, I went from 1 to 2 with low quality donors, and from 1 to 3-4 with high quality donors. But the high quality were only available for one FMT, so it was like taking 1 antibiotic pill out of a 2xday, 2 week regimen. I did longer regimens with the low quality donors, but it didn't increase efficacy.

SB_1108

Low quality donors give mild to moderate short-term improvements. High quality donors give "severe" improvements.

On a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the best, I went from 1 to 2 with low quality donors, and from 1 to 3-4 with high quality donors. But the high quality were only available for one FMT, so it was like taking 1 antibiotic pill out of a 2xday, 2 week regimen. I did longer regimens with the low quality donors, but it didn't increase efficacy.
At this point there is no way to determine what makes a donor low or high quality. It's a guessing game. You could run a stool analysis with ubiome but that would not provide you with enough information to determine quality of bacteria.

MaximilianKohler

At this point there is no way to determine what makes a donor low or high quality. It's a guessing game. You could run a stool analysis with ubiome but that would not provide you with enough information to determine quality of bacteria.
You're partially right, there is a good amount of guessing, but we do have many clues from the literature. See the FMT section here: https://www.reddit.com/r/HumanMicrobiome/wiki