• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23andme results, what should I do?

i got my 23andme results today.

I am not sure what to do.

i took methylfolate(800mg) and methylcobalamin (5000mg) everyday for 30 days and did not notice any changes to my health. after 1 month of taking them I noticed some acne so I stopped taking them

methylation profile:
methylation profile.png

detox profile:
detox profile.jpg

Last edited:
I used Caledonia's SNP interpretation guide

I figured some stuff out:

Because I have CBS C99T +/- and two BHMT's I likely have a CBS problem. I have not noticed any problems with sulfur or methylfolate or methylcobalmin, but they are probably there. Maybe I will buy some sulfur strips. I may try a low free thiol diet.

To support ACAT, take ox bile, also called bile salts.

MTHFR C677T heterozygous, is a major problem. take methylfolate

MTR is B12 intake and MTRR is B12 recycling. With every spin of the cycle, MTR uses one molecule of B12 to take a methyl group from methylfolate, then tacks it onto homocysteine to form methionine. MTRR regenerates methyl-‐B12 from available methyl donors and B12. MTR is an upregulation, while MTRR is a downregulation.

Having either of these mutations will impair methylation, causing a wide range of consequences. If you have both MTR and MTRR mutations, this is called the “B12 double whammy”. It will put a worse drain on B12 than having either MTR or MTRR alone.

To support MTR and MTRR, take vitamin B12. Hydroxy B12 and Adenosyl B12 are the best forms for me according to the chart.

VDR Bsm is the Vitamin D Receptor. If you have a mutation, get your Vitamin D tested and if it’s low, supplement with D3.

I should maybe look into B12 and MethylMate A caps and MethylMate B drops. And Black Bear Spray and low dose MTR/MTRR/SUOX caps and * CBS RNA

for CYP1B1 L432V, take Calcium d-‐glucarate to lower estrogen (i'm a male)

Last edited:

Valentijn

Because I have CBS C99T +/- and two BHMT's I likely have a CBS problem. I have not noticed any problems with sulfur or methylfolate or methylcobalmin, but they are probably there.
Her guide is based on some incorrect information with regard to those SNPs. CBS C699T +/+ is a mild and beneficial up-regulation, and +/- should not have any effect at all. And the only BHMT which has any impact is -08, but it's a minor one, it only applies when homozygous, and it's reported backwards. Hence -/- is the only (slightly) problematic version for that one.
To support ACAT, take ox bile, also called bile salts.
There is no research anywhere showing that that ACAT SNP has any impact at all. It can be ignored.
Not really "major". Gene function is at 65% of normal, and eating a decent amount of veggies (the natural source of methylfolate) regularly can suffice just as well as supplementing.
VDR Bsm is the Vitamin D Receptor. If you have a mutation, get your Vitamin D tested and if it’s low, supplement with D3.
Again, a very mild down-regulation. But getting vitamin D levels tested is a good idea generally when there are health problems.
I should maybe look into B12 and MethylMate A caps and MethylMate B drops. And Black Bear Spray and low dose MTR/MTRR/SUOX caps and * CBS RNA
for CYP1B1 L432V, take Calcium d-‐glucarate to lower estrogen (i'm a male)
I'd stay away from the Yasko products. They are expensive compared to similar items on the market, and some even have inferior ingredients. Remarkable, isn't it, that her unsubstantiated and scientifically contradicted claims about SNPs increase demand for her products? :rolleyes: And as mentioned above, treating "CBS" is completely unindicated and unnecessary, unless you enjoy spending extra money and taking extra pills just for the fun of it.

taniaaust1

I agree with what Valentijn told you, as long as you eat a healthy diet just the one copy of the mutation should be fine. Its when one has one copy of this and one copy of the other MTHFR mutation or two copies of this, in which it becomes an issue.

thanks for the replies

so it sounds like I am in good shape and don't need to really take any pills at all. just eat healthy

Valentijn

so it sounds like I am in good shape and don't need to really take any pills at all. just eat healthy
B12 might be of some help for the MTRR A66G +/+. But maybe not, if you eat a decent amount of meat. You could always get it tested if worried - that would likely be cheaper than supplementing if you don't need it.