• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Which path to follow with fibromyalgia, undermethylator, MCS and histadelic

jason30

Hi all,

I suffer from fibromyalgia and from multiple chemical sensitivities for years now. I am histadelic (high histamine) and i have also food sensitivities. Thyriod (elevated TSH level plus Anti-TPO antibodies).
I also fit in the picture of a mast cell disorder. And i am definately a classic undermethylator!
I think candida plays a role as well but i don't know for sure.

I'm looking for a solution which calms my symptoms but i'm getting stuck what path to follow; raising the negative substances, liver detoxification (path 2) or follow a methylation protocol.

My blood test from a few months ago gave the following negative results:
  • Glutathion (reduced): 3.2 umol/l (decreased)
  • Molybdenum: 0.05 ug/l decreased (0.4 – 1.9)
  • Natrium: low (1793 mg/l)
  • Zinc: High (7.6 mg/l (5.3 – 6.5)
  • Zinc/copper ratio is high (21.5)
  • Copper decreased: 0.7 mg/l (0.7 – 1.3)
  • Vanadium decreased.
  • Manganese 14.3 (14-37)ug/l decreased!
  • GABA: 3 umol/24u ( 7 - 35)
  • Methionine: 7 umol/24u (16-62)
  • Phenylalanine: 30 umol/24u (31 - 95)
  • Tyrosine: 36 umol/24u (40 - 168)
  • Phosphoethanolamine: 16 umol/24u (19 - 55)
  • 1-methylhistidine: 973 umol/24u (128 - 392) (marker for leaky gut)
Firstly i wanted to start with NAC to raise my glutathione levels plus Silymarin, selenium and other substances to raise the glutathione levels. But i have read that this is not adviced when you have undermethylation.
Apart from this i can't tolerate folic acid and vitamine b12 (which raises histamine).

What would be a good way? Raise the negative/low substances, liver detoxification (path 2) or follow a methylation protocol? (or an other way which i am not aware of :) ).

Last edited:

jason30

Thanks Gondwanaland, i have never heard that magnesium oxide calms down histamine and MCS. Do you have more information about this, maybe a research?
I have read a study before that showed that only 4 percent of the oxide form of magnesium is being absorbed. That’s also the reason why magnesium oxide is a great laxative.

Gondwanaland

I have read everywhere that magnesium oxide is useless. So for 10 months I kept trying other forms and only got worse. But both my hair and urine test results showed low magnesium. Then I tried magnesium oxide, hoping it would also help with constipation, but unfortunately it was useless for that (got loose stools if I took more than 600mg daily, but that wasn't my goal). But it worked for everything else.

BTW you won't be able to raise glutathione without magnesium. NAC and silymarin will make you worse. Silymarin is high in sulfur, histamine and salicylates, which need magnesium to be neutralized.

IME my MCS was excess acidity (high uric acid) since I became extremely intolerant to salicylates (including tooth paste). Sodium bicarbonate foot baths also helped.

For me it was very useful to have electrolytes balanced in order to be able to eat without too many restrictions. Now I am dealing with thyroid and adrenals. Next step methylation, hopefully.

jason30

Many thanks Gondwanaland, good to know that magnesium is needed to raise glutathione and that Silymarin is high in sulfur, histamine and salicylates.
I am gonna test magnesium oxide out!

I love baking soda, however i didn't thought about a foot bath yet. Did you bought a footbath or do you just put some baking soda in a bucket of warm water?

I have read about high uric acid, i don't know if i have that. Maybe a blood test in the future will give exclusion. I do have some similar symptoms as Gout though. I also have pain in the legs as restless legs which disturb me from sleep (constantly stretching legs).

About the thyriod, do you also have a high TSH?

brenda

@Gondwanaland

I tried my first dose of magnesium oxide last night - 1/4 teasp and had a result - felt more relaxed and the usual foot tapping in bed did not happen and there was zero aggitation. I did have some digestive upset though. Is it okay to take it with food?

I am a bit concerned about my kideys - I don't think they are that great and have been having low urine volume though I know my bladder is not so great either - interstitial cystitis which flares with vit E and B12 so am running kidney frequencies on my rife device hoping to build them yup while using mag oxide. I wonder how I will know if my kidneys are in trouble? My GP is test resistant with me now.

Gondwanaland

My urinary system is my soft spot as well. It makes everything harder. You should see a nephrologist.
I did have some digestive upset though
What happened? Couldn't it lessen with the building tolerance up?
Is it okay to take it with food?
It will supress stomach acidity :thumbdown:
have been having low urine volume
Oops, magnesium will worsen it. Keep magnesium intake as low as you can now since it is helping. How is your daily potassium intake?
usual foot tapping in bed
You surely need it, perhaps try it transdermally spraying on legs and feet? I have never heard of transdermal magnesium oxide, but hey, if it helps it's a keeper :D
I would hold foot baths for now due to your low urine problem.

brenda

My urinary system is my soft spot as well. It makes everything harder. You should see a nephrologist.

That's a bit tricky as I am in the middle of changing GP's.

What happened? Couldn't it lessen with the building tolerance up?

I will try that

It will supress stomach acidity :thumbdown:

Oops, magnesium will worsen it. Keep magnesium intake as low as you can now since it is helping. How is your daily potassium intake?

Drinking cocnut water.

You surely need it, perhaps try it transdermally spraying on legs and feet? I have never heard of transdermal magnesium oxide, but hey, if it helps it's a keeper :D
I would hold foot baths for now due to your low urine problem.

Thanks. If my urine output increases with the freq treatment I will increase, otherwise will cut back.

Gondwanaland

Drinking cocnut water.
@brenda Please do not overdo it. Coconut water is at the root of my crash and past food intolerances. Do you eat plenty of leafy greens? At this point I am not sure if you should supplement electrolytes or increase their dietary intake, because low urine output is serious. Try to see a nephrologist ASAP.

brenda

@brenda Please do not overdo it. Coconut water is at the root of my crash and past food intolerances. Do you eat plenty of leafy greens? At this point I am not sure if you should supplement electrolytes or increase their dietary intake, because low urine output is serious. Try to see a nephrologist ASAP.

Yes I eat loads of green leafies. Thanks. I could still go to my 'ready to be sacked' GP.

brenda

@Gondwanaland

I am feeling fine - better than for a long time so will measure my urine output over 24 hours. I think it is my bladder as I am going quite often but not producing much.

Was the problem with coconut water the salicylates?

Gondwanaland

Was the problem with coconut water the salicylates?
Exactly. Then after overcoming salicylates I still can't tolerate coconut products as they seem to stimulate thyroid too much.
I think it is my bladder as I am going quite often but not producing much.
I don't know what that means. I think it could also be kidneys. I experience bladder pain from bee pollen and apple juice, and I can only guess what they have in common. Bee pollen is high in purines (increases uric acid), and apple juice is probably high in salicylates (interact with high uric acid). But AFAIK magnesium helps with both salicylate and oxalate crystals. But can be hard on weak kidneys.
Yes I eat loads of green leafies.
Someone just posted a topic about how too much green juicing can increase oxalates.

Gondwanaland

I think candida plays a role as well but i don't know for sure.
I would like to recommend you this link about magnesium. Use the menu on the left to navigate thru relevant topics. It first gives magnesium oxide the traditional bad-mouthing, but later aknowledges that some people might do just great with it.

Apparently some forms of magnesium can feed candida, but it seems that candida can't absorb magnesium oxide. If I remember correctly, it is also addressed in the same page.

In any case, I would recommend caution when reducing your body's acidity. I have pH strips at home and frequently check my urine pH in the evening as a mean to gauge for alkaline electrolyte needs.

brenda

Exactly. Then after overcoming salicylates I still can't tolerate coconut products as they seem to stimulate thyroid too much.

I don't know what that means. I think it could also be kidneys. I experience bladder pain from bee pollen and apple juice, and I can only guess what they have in common. Bee pollen is high in purines (increases uric acid), and apple juice is probably high in salicylates (interact with high uric acid). But AFAIK magnesium helps with both salicylate and oxalate crystals. But can be hard on weak kidneys.

Someone just posted a topic about how too much green juicing can increase oxalates.

I was taking bee pollen. Can't say I noticed anything good or bad. I don't find coconut stimulates my thyroid. but need to stop using it I guess for salicylates. I don't use green juices anymore, just dried wheat grass and fresh kale which I eat about 4 times a week. I have increased my water intake wondering if I am a bit dehydrated so will see how the next day goes. I would feel rough if I was not filtering urine wouldn't I?

Gondwanaland

I was taking bee pollen.
o_O
but need to stop using it I guess for salicylates.
Do you have salicylate intolerance?
wheat grass
TMI warning
I don't think you should do the same I do, or eat the same I eat, but I tried wheat grass in juice last November and had my first migraine + vomiting in 1.5 years since I went GF :cautious: I know wheat grass is GF, perhaps it was a detox? It eludes me. If it works for you, keep it.
I have increased my water intake wondering if I am a bit dehydrated so will see how the next day goes.
How much do you usually take? How much are you taking now? What is your weight? Do you have edema?
I would feel rough if I was not filtering urine wouldn't I?
I don't know. So far my kidneys have worked well. Sometimes they protest though.

brenda

o_O

Do you have salicylate intolerance?

I have salicylate attatched to my dna. I went low sal for a few weeks but it made no difference. I avoid most high sal food apart from coconut products.

TMI warning
I don't think you should do the same I do, or eat the same I eat, but I tried wheat grass in juice last November and had my first migraine + vomiting in 1.5 years since I went GF :cautious: I know wheat grass is GF, perhaps it was a detox? It eludes me. If it works for you, keep it.

It is gluten free I am sure. Maybe detox.

How much do you usually take? How much are you taking now? What is your weight? Do you have edema?

I drink about 2 litres a day at most sometimes forget. Weight is 154 lbs height 5 feet. Yes edema. I have been drinking distilled water with hydrogen peroxide (20 drops of 12% in 4 litres) but have stopped today and putting bicarb in the water in case it has been the acidity. I don't know if it is a coincidence but I passed more urine since then.

I don't know. So far my kidneys have worked well. Sometimes they protest though.

Gondwanaland

@brenda
I have salicylate attatched to my dna.
How do you know? What does it mean?
I drink about 2 litres a day at most sometimes forget. Weight is 154 lbs height 5 feet. Yes edema. I have been drinking distilled water with hydrogen peroxide (20 drops of 12% in 4 litres) but have stopped today and putting bicarb in the waterin case it has been the acidity. I don't know if it is a coincidence but I passed more urine since then.
Years ago when I upped my daily intake of water from about 1.2 L to 1.8 L it messed up my electrolyte balance.
I don't know how your current protocol might interact with the electrolytes, but if you are seeing an improvent I hope it is a good sign.

I think there is a problem with distilled water that is precisely the lack of electrolytes. The kidneys use them to regulate urine output. And I know nothing about H2O2 protocols.

I don't have knowledge to properly guide you through this, all the research I do is based on my own symptoms. But I think you need to balance the electrolytes so your kidneys can work better. It is important to have an appropriate urine flow when following detox protocols like methylation and taking wheat grass. I find it strange that the coconut water doesn't have that effect on you. There surely is due to missing electrolytes.

When there is exceess of acidity the kidneys will work a lot to get rid of it and there will be increased urination. I don't know what happens with excess alkalinity.

brenda

@brenda

How do you know? What does it mean?

I have had the Mitochondrial membrane TL protein study done which showed a salicylate adduct on the TL site.

Years ago when I upped my daily intake of water from about 1.2 L to 1.8 L it messed up my electrolyte balance.
I don't know how your current protocol might interact with the electrolytes, but if you are seeing an improvent I hope it is a good sign.

I ordered coconut water for electrolytes but will order a powder instead. I have not been drinking much since I am working on lowering blood glucose and I suspected it raised them.

I think there is a problem with distilled water that is precisely the lack of electrolytes. The kidneys use them to regulate urine output. And I know nothing about H2O2 protocols.

I don't have knowledge to properly guide you through this, all the research I do is based on my own symptoms. But I think you need to balance the electrolytes so your kidneys can work better. It is important to have an appropriate urine flow when following detox protocols like methylation and taking wheat grass. I find it strange that the coconut water doesn't have that effect on you. There surely is due to missing electrolytes.

I passed over a litre of urine in three hours after increasing my water intake and alkalysing it. Last night I took 1/8th teasp MgO and had a good sleep, so I think I am okay to continue. I am very grateful for the tip on MgO as it seems to be doing me good. Thanks.

When there is exceess of acidity the kidneys will work a lot to get rid of it and there will be increased urination. I don't know what happens with excess alkalinity.