• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Biopersistence and brain translocation of aluminum adjuvants of vaccines

A.B.

I came across this interesting article today:

Aluminum oxyhydroxide (alum) is a crystalline compound widely used as an immunological adjuvant of vaccines. Concerns linked to the use of alum particles emerged following recognition of their causative role in the so-called macrophagic myofasciitis (MMF) lesion detected in patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue/syndrome.

http://journal.frontiersin.org/Journal/10.3389/fneur.2015.00004/full

Hip

Some info here about the possible connection between autoimmune diseases and the aluminum hydroxide adjuvant in vaccines.

adreno

PR activist
Silicon might help remove aluminum:

We have provided preliminary evidence that over 12 weeks of silicon-rich mineral water therapy the body burden of aluminum fell in individuals with Alzheimer's disease and, concomitantly, cognitive performance showed clinically relevant improvements in at least 3 out of 15 individuals.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22976072

Last edited:

A.B.

This is also interesting:
Taken together, chronic muscle pain, chronic fatigue, and cognitive dysfunction are consistent with the so-called myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) and about 50% of MMF patients meet international criteria for ME/CFS (48, 49).

Do they really mean the ICC? Unfortunately the references are behind a paywall.

chipmunk1

i think it is interesting but but what irritates me is the fact aluminum is abundant in the earth crust and taken up by plants and thus animals etc.. we consume rather large amounts of aluminum and always have. thus the human body should have some ability to get rid of the metal.

the vaccines contain only a very tiny amount of aluminum very little compared to our daily intake. the fact that it is injected means that it far better absorbed than usual but it is still a one-time event.

so how is the aluminum that is in vaccines different from the aluminum in foodstuff and why should the former be far more harmful?

i don't doubt that it is toxic but it is a fairly common element and we get exposed to it when we drink a can of coke we eat vegetables etc. if there were an effect i doubt that this could be due to toxicity rather than immune activation triggering a pathological immune response or something like an "allergic response"

Daily aluminum intake is estimated to be around 7mg per day.(much of this is not absorbed). The total body burden of aluminum in healthy human subjects is approximately 30–50 mg. Normal levels of aluminum in serum are approximately 1–3 μg/L.:

A vaccine might contain 0.25-1 mg. Perhaps infants would be at risk but i don't see how an adult could reach a toxic body burden with this.

half-life of alumnum in the human brain is estimated to be seven years.

Last edited:

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
There was a thread here discussing MF some time ago. Was this the same research or a new study? This is an idea that will be fought by vested interests whether it is right or not.

Was it this paper? I looked briefly for a thread discussing it but didn't find one, although I found a few others.

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
Very interesting. Thanks. Could this be added to @Jonathan Edwards list of 'ME's' I wonder?

This is another earlier short paper cited by the current one :

Chronic fatigue syndrome in patients with macrophagic myofasciitis

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/enhanced/doi/10.1002/art.10740/

I'm also sceptical as to whether this 'MMF' theory has any traction amongst the wider scientific community not to mention any subsequent link to systemic disease although the WHO have at least reviewed the evidence at the time (1999) :

"Regarding the potential linkage of the local MMF lesion with systemic disease, the following points were made. MMF lesions have been detected in patients undergoing deltoid muscle biopsies for investigations of diffuse myalgias, arthralgias or muscle weakness, and in whom there is a history of administration of an aluminium-containing vaccine at some time in the past, the interval varying from months to several years. In a proportion of patients there was also evidence of a concurrent autoimmune disorder. Research on the potential association with autoimmune diseases was strongly encouraged.

At present, within the constraints of current knowledge, MMF does not fall within the disease entities of inflammatory myopathy, dermatomyositis, polymyositis, inclusion-body myositis or eosinophilic fasciitis. The current evidence neither establishes nor excludes a generalized disorder affecting other organs.

The small sample size on which these observations are based, together with the absence of data regarding the prevalence of local MMF lesions in the general population after vaccination, makes it difficult to assess potential links between local MMF and systemic disease. A more specific set of criteria and definitions needs to be determined in further epidemiological studies to establish whether there is an association between local MMF lesions and any systemic symptom or condition. The immunological mechanisms which might be involved in transforming a local immune reaction into a systemic disorder are numerous and need further investigation."

http://www.who.int/vaccine_safety/committee/reports/october_1999/en/

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
i think it is interesting but but what irritates me is the fact aluminum is abundant in the earth crust and taken up by plants and thus animals etc.. we consume rather large amounts of aluminum and always have. thus the human body should have some ability to get rid of the metal.

the vaccines contain only a very tiny amount of aluminum very little compared to our daily intake. the fact that it is injected means that it far better absorbed than usual but it is still a one-time event.

so how is the aluminum that is in vaccines different from the aluminum in foodstuff and why should the former be far more harmful?

From my reading of the paper it is the crystalline structure of the aluminium salt (alum) used as the adjuvant that may be the problem as opposed to soluble aluminium (which I suspect is the form naturally absorbed from the environment).

The inability to clear the alum or SNPs related to related chemokine signalling in a small number of susceptible individuals is also proposed as explaining why not everyone has ill effects.

alex3619

MF is not yet close to being fully established, its still an hypothesis, though the evidence is growing. However, its not about consumption of aluminium, and not about quantity. Its about concentration injected directly to provoke the immune system. Its an adjuvant. We absorb little from the gut, but this bypasses even that defense. If it did not induce immune issues it would not be an adjuvant.

What they are describing is already known with tattoos. Its resident macrophages etc. that absorb the tattoo ink that hold it in the skin. So the absorbed aluminium is a little like an invisible tattoo that makes you sick if the hypothesis is correct.

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
Just to be clear I'm not suggesting that this is the cause of all or even any cases of ME/CFS. I'm more interested in the mechanism by which a peripheral immune event can trigger a central systemic illness with very similar features to ME/CFS.

On the other hand - who has a tattoo? ;)