• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mercury poisoning & methyl B12 sublingual

Sinclair

Hello,

There are different views on this topic. I am in urgent need to know what to do.

A week ago a hair test showed mercury & arsenic overload, likely due to ammalgams. I have not started any procedure specificaly targeted to this yet. But my feelings are that this explains (at least in part) my symptoms.

A month ago I initiated B12 methylation support with methyl B12 and folinic acid, with mixed symptoms: improved ones and worsened others (particularly brain fog and cognitive are in the second group).

Some say to avoid methyl form of B12 while on mercury poisoning, some say there is no proven risk of worsening mercury toxicity due to methylB12 intake.

I stopped for one day methyl B12 intake but I felt very bad on fatigue and muscle pain the day after. I restarted methyl B12 the day after and got some relief from the latter symptoms (and small lunulae appeared again) but brain fog and cognitive symptoms worsened again....

Many thanks for sharing your experiences and advices. I feel like in a trap.

Best,

S.

Johnmac

Yep, that group is a great source.

Stridor on this forum is also a great source, if he responds.

Both he and I are chelating (Cutler method) as well as pursuing methylation protocols. I do the Freddd protocol and he also does a variation of it.

Two years ago I was having huge side-effects (thiol symptoms) from chelation, which methyl-folate fixed overnight. So I'd definitely say the two are compatible.

Sinclair

Many Thanks for your replies.

My current methylation support is 2000 mcg mB12 sublingual & 800 mg folinic acid.

Had the star-up effects from the 1000 mcg but not after increasing the dose yet. I feel better now, even though my diet is so strict that it becomes very socially embarrazing. I plan to raise folinic acid in a couple of days as well.

I feel my bowel and liver are a mess thus they are the logic area for start improving general health but identifying which cleanse really works and is scientifically based, when there are so many quackeries in this particular area has been a hard task. Any specific suggestion here?

The fear of worsening after ammalgams removal, during chelation or due to any other treatment, refrains me for initiating anything risky in this sense.

I'll stay for a few weeks under my current protocol based on anti-enterovirus + methylation support, with small further changes and will try to reach a more informed decision afterwards (expect to receive test results and 'professional' feedback in the meantime, but your suggestions have the highest value for me too).

Thank you in advance!

Gondwanaland

My suggestion is to find a form of magnesium that really works for you. It helps with liver since it is needed in the glutathione conjugation and every liver pathway, plus in ATP generation and B vitamins metabolism. Pair it with potassium and adjust your ideal proportioin of both regularly.

P.S. just read your signature and see that you are on Mag oil. You probably don't tolerate it orally due to your infections... I would like to add that having pH strips at home helps to gauge for electrolyte needs.

Last edited:

Sinclair

Thanks for your replies, I have been on B12 methylation support for almost two months with noticeable improvements (must avoid overexertion, otherwise I have a moderate 24 hrs PEM).

Since I recently tested positive for 3 enteroviruses (CVB2, CVB4, Echo 30) and 1 or 2 non-identifiable additional suspected, I am interested in the mercury-enterovirus link, hence I started a new thread under the title "Mercury poisoning & enteroviruses".

Thanks!

@Gondwanaland, may I ask you...the detailed SNPs information you have, is something you got from which test? I was not able to perform 23andME recently for their delays in kit delivery, and was trying the one from Great Plains, but was not able to get the dry blood sample, thus I am postponing testing for SNPs, but this is something I am considering for the next future. Which test provided you such amount of information?

Gondwanaland

Which test provided you such amount of information?
I did the 23andMe and run the raw data they provide in a few (free and paid) internet services for reports I considered relevant for detox and methylation.

There is much more to dig out... I just didn't have the time (energy) for it. I think 23andMe provides results of tens of tousends of SNPs.

SwanRonson

I feel my bowel and liver are a mess thus they are the logic area for start improving general health but identifying which cleanse really works and is scientifically based, when there are so many quackeries in this particular area has been a hard task. Any specific suggestion here?

You said you had IBS. Is it constipation or diarrhea dominant?

Sinclair

Thanks @SwanRonson, constipation dominant. I have experienced a very mild diarrhea after starting methylation support, under the condition that I keep my monotone diet: any slightly changes and constipation comes back.

SwanRonson

Thanks @SwanRonson, constipation dominant. I have experienced a very mild diarrhea after starting methylation support, under the condition that I keep my monotone diet: any slightly changes and constipation comes back.

You should seriously stop the probiotics if you're constipation dominant. The likelihood of you having SIBO is almost certain and the probiotics are going to make it a lot worse. Chronic constipation is almost always based on slow intestinal motility for one reason or another. Taking probiotics when motility is slow is going to give you SIBO 99 times out of 100.

I have chronic constipation my whole life as well. I've only recently gotten some relief by taking a 14 day course of Xifaxan (550mg - twice a day). I would recommend you ask your doctor about it. It's a very safe antibiotic and helped me a lot.

I'm going to write up my current constipation protocol which is working very well and post it. I'll link you to it when it's up.

Seriously though. Stop the probiotics.

SwanRonson

@SwanRonson please link me as well. I was sure that supplementing with magnesium oxide would resolve it for me but no change in that front.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/my-constipation-protocol.35377/

I've had daily constipation (the seeing stars after pooping and going as many as 7 to 10 days between BM's kind) since I was a teenager. I'm 38 now. This is the first time in my life I've had significant relief. Hope it helps someone. We're all different I know.

Aerose91

Yep, that group is a great source.

Stridor on this forum is also a great source, if he responds.

Both he and I are chelating (Cutler method) as well as pursuing methylation protocols. I do the Freddd protocol and he also does a variation of it.

Two years ago I was having huge side-effects (thiol symptoms) from chelation, which methyl-folate fixed overnight. So I'd definitely say the two are compatible.

Not trying to hijack this thread but I have a question for you.

In what order are you doing methylation and chelation (Cutler)? It would seem to me that methylation should come first but I'm curious how you guys are doing it

Johnmac

No, we both started with chelation.

Tho you do have a point: we both hit brick walls after a year or so without methylation. And could only proceed again once methylation had been started on.

Aerose91

No, we both started with chelation.

Tho you do have a point: we both hit brick walls after a year or so without methylation. And could only proceed again once methylation had been started on.

That would make sense to me, that you would need your bodies detox capabilities working before dumping metals

boo85

My suggestion is to find a form of magnesium that really works for you. It helps with liver since it is needed in the glutathione conjugation and every liver pathway, plus in ATP generation and B vitamins metabolism. Pair it with potassium and adjust your ideal proportioin of both regularly.

P.S. just read your signature and see that you are on Mag oil. You probably don't tolerate it orally due to your infections... I would like to add that having pH strips at home helps to gauge for electrolyte needs.

How do I use ph strips to test my electrolytes? Thank you. :)

Johnmac

That would make sense to me, that you would need your bodies detox capabilities working before dumping metals

It's not the Cutler gospel. He would bite your head off if you suggested it to him. But several people have found it to be the case practically.