• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Quercetin CBS/MAO-A mutation ( mast cell/leaky gut)

kel88

Hello everyone!

Ive got leaky gut and mast cell disorder/histamine intoleranz and want to try Quercetin.

Ive got CBS mutation homozygoot and MAO-A mutation hetrozygoot, is it still possible to try Quercetin?

Hope that someone could advise me!

Greets kel

ahmo

I also have CBS +/- and MAO-A ++. I started with quercetin, then switched to mangosteen, which my body seems to prefer. Royal jelly seems to be a big help, whenever I'm having active mast cell flare, body wants extra royal jelly. And rutin for histamine, with near-immediate effect.

GhostGum

Interesting, I also have a CBS +/+ and MAO-A ++, been taking quercetin, when I first starting taking it seemed quit significant and my nose ran and cleaned out for two days, cleared out excess histamine I guess.

My PEM symptoms at this stage basically resemble flushing, a feeling of excess heat and redness in the skin, maybe all this has to do with stirring up histamine?

Thanks for your insight @ahmo, will look into rutin, might help me a lot.

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
My PEM symptoms at this stage basically resemble flushing, a feeling of excess heat and redness in the skin, maybe all this has to do with stirring up histamine?
Probably from histamine, yes. Or maybe from Nitric Oxide, which can be induced by exercise.

If you flush a tremendous amount from niacin, then that's a big clue that your mast cells are putting out a lot of histamine and other chemicals.

Tart cherry works surprisingly better for me to suppress flushing than quercetin. Rutin gets converted to quercetin, btw. The main doc/researcher for all this is Theoharides at mastcellmaster.com

kel88

Thanks for youre post all... So quercetin is not a good problem then? Wich supplement can we take for histamine without getting problems with CBS? :)

Thanks,kel88

GhostGum

Probably from histamine, yes. Or maybe from Nitric Oxide, which can be induced by exercise.

If you flush a tremendous amount from niacin, then that's a big clue that your mast cells are putting out a lot of histamine and other chemicals.

Tart cherry works surprisingly better for me to suppress flushing than quercetin. Rutin gets converted to quercetin, btw. The main doc/researcher for all this is Theoharides at mastcellmaster.com

Thanks, might try the tart cherry, but since I posted here have made sure to use the quercetin more regularly, 800mg twice daily now and it seems to have been quite effective at keeping some PEM symptoms under control, especially any build up of pressure/tension around the head and headaches. All makes me wonder whether I should pursue testing down this mast cell avenue, but then even if there is something there doubt treatment is going to be any better than what I am currently doing, B12 methylation and quercetin?

@kel88 what do you mean supplements giving problems with CBS? Quercetin seems worth a try at least.

kel88

@GhostGum is taking quercetin nog a problem for you? Because quercetine is a sulfur donor! Such as ALA NAC Glutamine etc.

I would love to try Quercetin or glutamine or glutathion for my gut. Only i react very badly to sulfur.. So i dont think i will handle this supplement .. Do you think wel??

What are youre other mutations as only CBS? Do you youve got BHMT/MTHFR mutations as well?

GhostGum

@kel88 I have MTHFR as well.

I seem to tolerate quercetine ok, even on an empty stomach, even if there is a little nausea the benefit at the moment outweighs it by far, but my stomach is in much better shape than years gone past so I can imagine if yours is not it might be difficult.

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
but then even if there is something there doubt treatment is going to be any better than what I am currently doing, B12 methylation and quercetin?
That's probably correct.

My idea is that I have a high background level of histamine (MTHFR 677), which makes me predisposed to always getting into a vicious self-sustaining cycle of more histamine and other Mast Cell products. The flavonoids let me break that cycle. I've been afraid of building a tolerance but haven't so far - so I'm going to take more... and more... of all different kinds.

For quercetin: supposedly vit C increases absorption. Or taking with tea. Maybe so.

Btw, I can eat high histamine foods with no problem - else I'd try the DAO. I've never had much by way of hay-fever allergies, either.

Also btw: there is a doctor (Ravikovich?) who treats histamine by giving histamine.

kel88

@GhostGum wich mthfr? And homo or hetro?
Hmm good to know that you can tolerate it :)

@Sherlock i thougt that only the MTHFR 1298c leads to mast cell/ high histamin but youre mthfr mutation is also high in histamin ?

GhostGum

wich mthfr? And homo or hetro?
Hmm good to know that you can tolerate it :)

Mine is rs1476413 homo, originally genetic genie showed no MTHFR for me but then I had Greg from b12oils go over all my raw data and find this version. I have no idea of the technicalities here or what my MTHFR version means, but regardless it is very obvious I have had a histamine issue.

Valentijn

Mine is rs1476413 homo, originally genetic genie showed no MTHFR for me but then I had Greg from b12oils go over all my raw data and find this version. I have no idea of the technicalities here or what my MTHFR version means, but regardless it is very obvious I have had a histamine issue.
It's part of the MTHFR list I have at http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/interesting-mthfr-variations.24543/ . It's a relatively small down-regulation of the gene, probably in the neighborhood of a 5% reduction or less.

kel88

I looked at my mthfr mutations at 23and me but ive got MUCH mutations and much homozygoot mutations ( ohh in screwed) :(

Does they al lead to low BH4 ?

Valentijn

I looked at my mthfr mutations at 23and me but ive got MUCH mutations and much homozygoot mutations ( ohh in screwed) :(
Being homozygous for a SNP usually doesn't mean something bad. It's only bad if research shows that it's bad.

23andMe lists 600,000 SNPs for everyone. Few of the SNPs which they list mean anything bad.

TY :) I also work with others with similar issues, and lots of 'us' tend to be $$ downtrodden, from being sick, so I hate to insist on constant apps that cost 30-50 each time, am hoping this will help me get thru my detoxing and stabilizing pathways without the constant costs too. So much info so intense. I appreciate your help.