• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How Long does it take?

belize44

I had a colonoscopy yesterday and am amazed at how fried I feel today. As recently as ten years ago, I could pretty much snap back to my normal by the next day. But I had a hard time even dragging myself out of bed today, and feel absolutely exhausted now.

For those who have undergone this lovely procedure, how long did it take you to snap back to your normal? Was there anything you did that helped?

Jammy88

when i was a healthy person, it took me around 6-12 hours to feel ok.

I actually have no idea how long it would take me now, but I guess much more .. :-\ it's a very debilitating procedure, to be done only in case of emergency.

belize44

when i was a healthy person, it took me around 6-12 hours to feel ok.

I actually have no idea how long it would take me now, but I guess much more .. :-\ it's a very debilitating procedure, to be done only in case of emergency.
It wasn't an emergency, but I have had to do this twice within six months because the first one was not successful. The very first one I had, they found pre cancerous polyps so I have had to have another every five years. This time the prognosis was good - I don't have to have another procedure for ten years!

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Jammy88 I'm due for mine this year. Since I had polyps last time I'd rather deal with it than wait for an emergency which would most likely be cancer. That's is not reasonable advice if someone has a history of polyps or a family history.

Also they type if medication they used would make a difference. Propofal might be easier than versed.

@belize44 maybe do some detox to get the drugs out of you.

It takes me a week to recover from just going out for a few hours. Cut yourself some slack. These things take time.

belize44

@Jammy88 I'm due for mine this year. Since I had polyps last time I'd rather deal with it than wait for an emergency which would most likely be cancer. That's is not reasonable advice if someone has a history of polyps or a family history.

Also they type if medication they used would make a difference. Propofal might be easier than versed.

@belize44 maybe do some detox to get the drugs out of you.

It takes me a week to recover from just going out for a few hours. Cut yourself some slack. These things take time.
You're right! I always get impatient to get back to my normal, such as it is. I feel so utterly wiped out today, but I will just have to be patient. I do find that Propofol is not that bad, and I am realizing that just the fact that I had to fast all day and deplete my electrolytes as well has just caught up with me. I started probiotics last night and mild fiber today. The abdominal tenderness is another thing to contend with, too. sigh.

Gingergrrl

I know there are certain anesthesias that we are not supposed to have with ME/CFS but do not know the topic well enough to provide more info. In any case, I am glad the procedure is over for you and allow yourself the time to heal without rushing yourself.

belize44

I know there are certain anesthesias that we are not supposed to have with ME/CFS but do not know the topic well enough to provide more info. In any case, I am glad the procedure is over for you and allow yourself the time to heal without rushing yourself.
I am curious to look up that info, because I have been wondering if it isn't just the fasting that has wiped me out so badly.

You're right! I always get impatient to get back to my normal, such as it is. I feel so utterly wiped out today, but I will just have to be patient. I do find that Propofol is not that bad, and I am realizing that just the fact that I had to fast all day and deplete my electrolytes as well has just caught up with me. I started probiotics last night and mild fiber today. The abdominal tenderness is another thing to contend with, too. sigh.

To replace electrolytes, I have used Pedialyte. because gatorade is wholly worthless ingrediants.

belize44

Yes, Gatorade is useless. I used something called Electro Mix, which contains calcium, magnesium, manganese, chromium and potassium, and I just mix this with water. I obtained my sodium from chicken bouillon cubes dissolved in hot water, but I don't really like that they put MSG in them!

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Propofal might be easier than versed.
I have had them both and found they both took about a week to recover from. The last time (I also have polyps so have to have them frequently) they gave me conscious sedation (fentanyl and something else). That was not fun but the good part was that I had recovered by the next day.

I am realizing that just the fact that I had to fast all day and deplete my electrolytes as well has just caught up with me.
For my last one I was given the "drink 2 gallons" prep which included electrolytes. This is also not fun but is, apparently, the safest prep.

Sushi

belize44

I also did something different this time, because the last prep wasn't complete even though I was voiding clear near the end of it. I drank an entire bottle of Magnesium Citrate, then started the solution prescribed as directed. It really wiped me out! I slept until noon the next day, and again today. Also, It's so nice out and I want a walk badly!

Tuha

I will have my first colonoscopy in 10 days. I see some of you have a lot of experiences. Can you give me just some advices what to do? I think the biggest problem for me will be fasting. I tried it in the past and I always felt weak from it.

belize44

What I did was to buy some Bouillon cubes and make broth to sip on. The prep will make you weak, believe me! I also bought apple juice and electrolyte drink mix and drank plenty of that to keep me balanced; ( I hate Gatorade because it has gotten so unhealthy). I also get cold when doing prep so I kept my electric space heater in the bathroom, along with my Walkman and plenty of magazines ;). Sorry if too much info, but many people find that they get hemorrhoids so be prepared for that. I have heard that diaper ointment is soothing, as well as Aloe Vera Gel.

Hope that helps!