• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Best supps for depression other than B12, folate and magnesium?

boo85

Best supps for depression other than B12, folate and magnesium?

I also take ferritin (iron) and Vitamin D 5000 IU per day and have been taking Vitamin D for the past few months at the dose.

Anything else I should be taking for depression? Thanks!

boo85

mgk, I'm hesitant to take fish oil because of oxidisation. I only want to eat fats that are not prone to oxidisation, and fish oil is prone. I can eat fats from other sources, but not fish oil.

PointsNorth

Paulo
Had to chime in. BETAINE (TMG) produced a beautiful natural high for me. I don't consider myself depressed but WOW. Took 2 x 1000mg. Other people report HomosystX works well for them too. It contains 700mg TMG along with B2/6/9/12.

mgk

mgk, I'm hesitant to take fish oil because of oxidisation. I only want to eat fats that are not prone to oxidisation, and fish oil is prone. I can eat fats from other sources, but not fish oil.
Is it just fish oil or do you not eat fatty fish either? The only other way I know to get the EPA and DHA your body needs is from algae.

By the way, if you feel like sharing, I'm curious about the reasons behind your concern with oxidation.

veganmua

Oily fish are high in dha and epa because they eat algae. I use opti3 dha and epa capsules. Also lithium orotate. What about other supplements to support methylation, perhaps?
Then there are things like St John's Wort.

Thinktank

Indeed, EPA/DHA from algae / krill can be powerful. It contains natural astaxanthin which acts an antioxidant. I'm very sensitive to rancid lipids, krill oil is the only DHA/EPA source that doesn't give me side effects.

Fish oil is a major one for brain health.
SAM-e is popular for depression as well (as someone already mentioned above).
Acetyl L-Carnitine + Alpha Lipoic Acid taken together are fantastic for cognitive health and balance as well.
I am also a big believer in L-Glutathione + N Acetylcysteine.

A.B.

5-htp, ashwagandha.

PS: you don't have to take everything. Find out what works for you.

Last edited:

perchance dreamer

Supplements that support dopamine help me with mood. I like NeuroScience's Balance D:

Serving Size: 2 Capsules
Servings per Container: 30

Amount per Serving % DV

Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid) 200 mg 330%
Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine HCI & pyridoxal 5' 0.5 mg 25%
-phosphate)
Folate (as 5-Methyltetrahydrofolate (5-MTHF) 133 mcg 33%
& folic acid)
Selenium (from selenomethionine) 70 mcg 100%
Proprietary Blend 1.15 g †
N-acetylcysteine‚ N-acetyltyrosine‚ and Mucuna
cochinchinensis seed extract (standardized to L-DOPA)

† Daily Value not established.

Other Ingredients: Vegetable capsules (vegetable cellulose and water) and magnesium stearate.
Does not contain gluten‚ corn‚ soy‚ salt‚ sucrose‚ starch‚ yeast. artificial flavors or artificial colors.

Another supplement that helps me with mood is Neurobiologix Memory Sustain. I haven't noticed a memory effect, but it gives me a mood lift:

Two Capsules Contain:
Vitamin B-6 (Pyridoxal-5'-phosphate)................10 mg
Vitamin B-12 (Methylcobalamin).......................200 mcg
Folate (folic acid/calcium folinate)......................400 mcg
NAC (N-Acetyl Cysteine)..................................200 mg
Acetyl-L-Carnitine..............................................500 mg
Phosphatidylserine................................................15 mg
Ginkgo Biloba (24/6 extract)...............................120 mg
Bacopa (Monniera Extract (standardized to 20%)..100 mg
Vinpocetine............................................................10 mg
Huperizine A.......................................................200 mcg
Resveratrol................................................................2 mg

It's too bad you can't take regular fish oil. Nordic Naturals DHA Extra really helps me with mood. Maybe the omega acids from algae oil would do the same thing.

sregan

Chromium GTF is a legit contender. It's a natural treatment for Atypical Depression. I've also had some luck taking B3 + P5P + Tryptophan

Johnmac

There are many types of depression & so many routes to curing it.

If you're serious, you need to read a book on the subject such as Julia Ross's "The Mood Cure". She lists lots of supps - chiefly amino acids & NT precursors such as 5HTP, GABA & tyrosine.

But if your thyroid is low, or you have a Mg or Fe deficiency, you'll be depressed because of that - & will need to supplement accordingly. If you suspect these, do tests.

John
(Depressive 1965-2000)