• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Feeling feverish within normal body temp. range

Thinktank

My average body temperature hovers around 36 degrees celcius. Whenever it reaches 36.4 i feel "warm" but when it goes up to 36.7 and higher i start to feel as having a light fever.

Anyone else with a low bodytemperature feeling feverish in a normal body temperature range?
Is there an explenation to it?

zzz

Anyone else with a low bodytemperature feeling feverish in a normal body temperature range?

I would say many, if not most of us.
Is there an explenation to it?

The low body temperature could be due to low thyroid; you should have this checked out if you haven't already. But even with proper thyroid levels, our body temperatures tend to be low. Temperature regulation does not seem to work properly in a lot of us. This function is a job of the hypothalamus, which has numerous problems in ME/CFS; for example, it is deeply involved in dysautonomia, as it controls the sympathetic nervous system.

As for why you feel feverish when your temperature goes up by the amounts you describe, it's the same reason that people with a higher normal temperature feel feverish when their temperature rises by a similar amount. The immune system has detected either infection or inflammation, and cytokines are released. One of the effects of cytokines is to make you feel sick (in this case feverish), so that you slow down your activities and the body can use all its energy to fight a perceived threat.

Sidereal

Subnormal body temperature, subjective perception of feverishness and inability to mount a real fever are well-known problems in ME/CFS. In order to raise body temperature you need to be able to produce more energy. There are several threads on this topic already.