• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Amisulpride — A Multipurpose Drug for ME/CFS

Lotus97

I haven't developed any "man boobs" (gynecomastia), which I believe is a symptom of high prolactin in men. Though I do notice my libido is significantly reduced on days when I take amisulpride — and reduced libido can result from high prolactin.

I usually take a very low 12.5 mg daily dose of amisulpride; and every week or two, I take a break from amisulpride for a couple of days. So at this very low dose, perhaps I am not raising my prolactin levels too much.

Even so, I wish I could find a workaround to prevent the low libido induced by amisulpride.

Yeah, when I was on Risperdal which also affects prolactin that killed my libido. It was great for treating anxiety and insomnia though, but I wouldn't recommend it since it also causes weight gain, high cholesterol, and high blood sugar.

Pantethine should be an inhibitor of prolactin, by the way. I use it with pregnenolone and DHEA. I haven't done any tests, but libido is good.

May I ask what dosage of pantethine you are/were taking, adreno?

Has any else had sucess with countering amisulpride's prolactin effects by taking pantethine?

adreno

PR activist
May I ask what dosage of pantethine you are/were taking, adreno?

Has any else had sucess with countering amisulpride's prolactin effects by taking pantethine?
Actually I am no longer sure it's effective. I read a study saying that it only works with IV pantethine, not oral. I haven't had any tests, so I can't say for sure. The following list of prolactin inhibitors are likely more effective:

Prolactin Inhibitor Supplements Set

alice111

@Hip you may have said this but I'm wondering can you take amisulpride on an as needed basis, or does it have to be taken daily? Thanks

Hip

@Hip you may have said this but I'm wondering can you take amisulpride on an as needed basis, or does it have to be taken daily? Thanks

Yes, I think you should be able to take as and when you need it.

I find the beneficial effects of amisulpride kick in quickly, within an hour or two of taking it. And these beneficial effects last for a good 24 hours.

The beneficial effects for me are the very significant reduction in irritability symptoms (it almost eliminates my irritability), a substantial reduction in the ME/CFS noise sensitivity (although this is not entirely eliminated), and I find amisulpride improves sociability: it makes you enjoy being with people more.

So I think it should be possible to take amisulpride just on the days when you have say more sound sensitivity than normal, or more irritability than normal.

alice111

@Hip ok thanks thats really helpful. its a prescription right? do you get it prescribed by your regular doc? cus it seems like (from wiki) that its a psych drug.. can my GP prescribe it.. I dont know if she will feel comfortable.
ps feel free to PM me if this too personal

Hip

I buy amisulpride 50 mg tablets online from prescription-free pharmacies (and then break the tablet into quarters). There are links to some pharmacies that sell amisulpride in the first post of this thread.

I am not sure how readily your GP will prescribe it, but it cannot hurt to ask I guess. I should really ask my own GP if he will prescribe it, just to save money. But in fact amisulpride works out to be very economical when you only take 12.5 mg each day, because then one box of 100 x 50 mg tablets (which costs around $50) will last over a year.

Hip

@Marco
Yes, I have been taking amisulpride 12.5 mg daily for a few years now.

I was terribly irritable before I discovered amisulpride. I had irritability almost to autism levels. Amisulpride really helps this a lot. That is the main reason I take it. Any ME/CFS patient that often feels grumpy and irritable (irritability is a listed symptom of ME/CFS) might also find amisulpride alleviates this unpleasant mental state.

It does help with sound sensitivity (hyperacusis) as well, and also has antidepressant, energy-boosting and brain fog alleviating effects I find.

Hip

Are there natural supplements that have a similar effect?

Not as far as I am aware, but you may want to research it.

Very low dose amisulpride in effect acts like an agonist of the dopamine D2 and D3 receptors (very low dose amisulpride works on the dopamine autoreceptors, which has the effect of stimulating the receptor).

So to simulate very low dose amisulpride's effects, you'd need one or more supplements that can do that.

D2 agonists listed here; D3 agonists listed here. As you can see, the only natural substance listed is salvinorin A, which is a partial D2 agonist. Salvinorin A is found in Salvia divinorum, a herb which is feasible to use in low doses, but at normal doses is a potent psychedelic / dissociative.

Hello hip, I have depression and I want tryed Amisulpride, one time to 8 mg my depression was worse with sleep tendence after 30 minutes (althrough amisulpride doesnt sedate), another time to 20 mg I had nothing bad also even a increase libido after one hour, another time to 0.5 mg I was very irritable only.
Last night I tryed again 20 mg and no effects appeared, perhaps only my sleep went away, I want have the good mood and the increase. Libido from dopamine, what should I do ? To take every day 20 or less ?
For. Example when I had good libido with 20 last year, next day I tok 12 mg and all was worse also libido down and mood too, also I stopped taking it, I understand nothing.
I didnt take more than one day because what was happened.
I am waiting for your answer.

Last edited:

Hip

@ovideo1978
I take ¼ of a 50 mg tablet of amisulpride each morning, and the antidepressant effects appear in two hours.

If very low dose amisulpride does not work for you, you may want to try another antidepressant, such as an SSRI drug, or TCA drug. You can also try high dose inositol (15 grams daily), as this can be a good antidepressant.

I understood but the problem is that in 2012 worked 20 mg for a day, and in another day too in 2012 worked 100 mg better giving a confortable feeling, how ?!
Also for 23 hours ago I tok 20 mg Amisulpride (also 01-11-2015 at 00 AM) , today morning also after 10 hours from intake I had a unconfortable mood, I had before too but not so bad, is the dose to high ?
At 4:00 AM also after 5 hours, my plasma level of Amisulpride will be 5 mg.
A 5 mg dose how it is ?

I said that after 20 mg Amisulpride, today I was felling some bad, also is the dose too much ?
5 mg cand be a good very low dose ?

How worked in 2012 20 mg and 100, and now not ?!

Hip

How worked in 2012 20 mg and 100, and now not ?!

Difficult to say.

I found the effects of drugs can change over the years. For example, when I first took the drug pramipexole, it had an antidepressant effect. But a few years later, pramipexole stopped acting as an antidepressant for me.